memory problem

myidisbb

i have a desktop P4 3.0 ghz. ram havs 4 slots. i can put 4 x 1GB ddr 333mhz or 4 x 512MB ddr 400 mhz in them.

last week i have been getting the following from turning the desktop on

serial presence detect (spd) device data missing or inconclusive.

properly proframmed spd device data is required for reliable operation.

ddr 333mhz memory assumed at slowest timings

dual-channel operation requires identical paired dimms installed across both memory channels.

bios has detected a non-optimal memory configuration. changing the existing dimm configuration can improve the system's memory bus bandwidth"

channel a, dimm 0 should match channel b, dimm 0

channel a, dimm 1 should match channel b, dimm 1

side effect of the problem

when it did this above the first time last week it cause win gen key to kick on and have to reactive it. after that it caused este ss v3 to start gettign new virus data updates.(it had one of the first working trial reset ones from the guy that left in the fight in here) it wouldnt been working for some time. anyway it shows license expired on 8/12/2009, remeaning trial period lock on 31 days and updates on target 4441 right now.

then when clicking on either of the 2 accounts on the winxp pro sp3 it would take a long time doing the settings.

i had 2 x 512MB ddr 400 mhz. i had this problem 2-3 years ago when i try 2 x 1GB ddr 400mhz until i found out i couldnt. (a nice hidden information on the intel wensite)

i just went out and got 4 x 512MB ddr by pny. it says it is compatible with 400, 333 and 356 mhz. not much information from the product.. i just installed the new 4 chips and got the same error above. turnoff and rebooted and restarted and did not get the error afterwards.

with the new chips it did not take a long time to do the settings. that is a plus side from the problem before hand with the older chips.

what could cause the problem before hand? and will i keep getting the problem? the 2 x 512MB older chips where the same company and time

if i turn the computer off and then turn the power off on the surge protector and back on then the desktop it pops up again. the only thing is it is not taking forever to load settings unlike before hand with the older chips. if i just shut down the win xp and then turn back on i get memory reduce f4 to continue. this is really pissing me off just not as bad before hand. shoul di reformat and load a fresh win pro sp2 and update from there?

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When is the last time you updated all of your chipset, and board drivers.. and have you looked into your BIOS settings for anything that has to do with your hardware configuration?Have you looked for BIOS updates from the MOBO manufacturer?.. last but not least how old is the RAM.. are you buying it new or refurbished..used?

When is the last time you updated all of your chipset, and board drivers.. and have you looked into your BIOS settings for anything that has to do with your hardware configuration?Have you looked for BIOS updates from the MOBO manufacturer?.. last but not least how old is the RAM.. are you buying it new or refurbished..used?

the old ram was 3-4 years old and the new one i just got from where new from store. last time i check intel didnt have any updates will check later tonight incase

jsut checked. i had everything updated to their last supported stuff. just for shit and giggles i reupdated the bios with the same update from 2007.

So did you comb through the BIOS for any settings that my concern your RAM.. one more thing.. have you double checked you have them locked in and in proper.. I know sometimes it can happen.. even dirty connections..( rare )

So did you comb through the BIOS for any settings that my concern your RAM.. one more thing.. have you double checked you have them locked in and in proper.. I know sometimes it can happen.. even dirty connections..( rare )

both should be good. this desktop i made myself back in 2003 with the evil shitty win xp pro sp1 mistake

Okay..try shutting down... taking the RAM out .. all of it.. Then boot with it out..or try to ( of course it will not.. ) Then put the memory back in.. and reboot.. and see if you get a screen asking you what MHz for your FSB..If you get a screen asking you to boot at 100 ( Select 'N' )

The reference that I found for this is pretty old, but essentially the problem is going to be that..... say a FSB is 100MHz and you buy RAM that is 66MHz... it is not able to boot using the RAM @ 66MHz since it will assume 100MHz.. so back then ( ME/2003 days ) the option was to get PC100/PC133 RAM.. that will work..but you have to have something that will actually work with the FSB ..

I get the message "SERIAL PRESENCE DETECT (SPD) device data missing or inconclusive." when the system is booting. What does this mean?

If during POST, non-SPD memory is detected or the BIOS cannot determine that the memory installed meets SPD 100-MHz requirements, the desktop board BIOS will display this message:

* "SERIAL PRESENCE DETECT (SPD) device data missing or inconclusive."

* "Properly programmed SPD device data is required for reliable operation."

* "Do you wish to continue?"

* "Y/N Type [Y] to continue, [N] to shut down"

Thereafter, while non-SPD memory remains present, the boot screen will display the following message:

* "SERIAL PRESENCE DETECT (SPD) device data missing or inconclusive."

* "100 MHz memory assumed."

SPD 100-MHz memory may not be readily available in some locations. Also, some operators may not have critical data integrity requirements. If SPD 100-MHz memory cannot be confirmed during POST, the BIOS will provide this information to the user and offer the option to run the system with memory that may not meet the full 100-MHz operating requirements. If the system will be used in a mission-critical application where data integrity is vital, the system should be shut down and SPD 100-MHz memory installed prior to operation. See the 810E desktop board tested-memory list, for a listing of tested memory for your desktop board.

EDIT: One more thing.. You should keep and eye on your system temps and make sure you don't have any overheating issues..I was reading farther down, and this guy actually had an issue where the system would run fine on his desk with the side off, but when he put it back together... he said Zone 2 Temps where way over the limit which with his system meant North and South ridge chipsets couldn't handle it....

[my system uses pc3200 ddr 400 or 333 mhz ram

i have had my side off almost from the beginning. the costly intel chip came with a cheap laod fan if it gets a little hot in there

@heath

all the help u give to everybody ...very appreciated,u should no... :)

cheers :party:

Archived