Question about ESET NOD32 Antivirus 2.79

sanjoa

Hi, guys! I'd like to know if ESET NOD32 Antivirus 2.79 is working normal or bad because it updates at least 5 times a day. Is this normal?

• Replies 19
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Well nowadays my ESET V4 is doin the same. No problem in it. On the other side it's more better that it is gettin updated so fast. ;)

As mentioned before, it's best to use V4. :)

Like I said last month:

It's advisable indeed, since new methods of malware prevention, detection, and removal are always introduced in new versions.

+1

...and if mine updated every hour I would be fine with it.. it checks that often..OH WAIT.. yeah its version 4...

You should at least upgrade to the latest version of EAV.. There have been GREAT strides in the engines of the application, settings and in several other aspects.. as well as being good enough to not even tell its there..

• Administrator

+1.

Why to stick to old version when the new version has sooo many + (pluses) in it.

There have been GREAT strides in the engines of the application, settings and in several other aspects.. as well as being good enough to not even tell its there..

I am using the latest ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4.0.437.0, but every time I resume my Vista PC from hibernation or I reboot it, ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4.0.437.0 is always busy scanning files for about 10 minutes or so. I verify this by looking under "Protection status" and "Statistics" where "Scanned object:" is always changing with different files being scanned.

On my older XP machine I use ESET NOD32 Antivirus version 3.0 and it doesn't have this problem.

• Administrator

Well similar problem happened to me when I rebooted or started my PC, it stopped doin suddenly. Normally that is called Live protection but takin a lot of CPU while doin so isn't very pleasin movement. ANW it must be scanin the memory and the files related to it. As you know whenever you hibernate your PC everythin is saved on your Hard Drive and when you come out from hibernation all the thing that are transferred to HDD while hibernation get into memory again. ;)

But does ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4.0 have to do this? It really slows my PC down for the first 10 minutes or so. I would rather have ESET 4.0 do an on-demand computer scan when I tell it (so I can leave the PC alone while it runs).

Somebody mentioned earlier (I forget where I read it) to go to the ESET scheduler and uncheck both of these:

- Automatic startup file check System startup file check. User logon.

- Automatic startup file check System startup file check. Successful update of the virus signature database.

So I unchecked both of those and it stopped ESET Antivirus 4.0 from always scanning my files for 10 minutes or so after every single virus signature update. IMHO it is ridiculous for ESET to slow down your PC after every single virus signature database update.

Does anyone know how to stop ESET 4.0 from slowing down your PC after every reboot and every resumption from hibernation? Somebody gave some instructions earlier on how to do this, but it involved disabling real-time file system protection which sounds a bit scary and unsafe so I didn't do it.

Well fact of the matter is that malicious files can and will put themselves into startup, and can replace/replicate and delete themselves cyclically every reboot... By signing in and out of the account and they can write countless entries into your registry. It is unsafe to do so...

I believe this may also have something to do with the shadow service that operates in Vista.. For every file that is referenced in Vista..if you have the service running the system makes a shadow copy of the unaltered file. You should comb through ALL of your settings and check them. I also only have two things in my scheduler.. I run Log Maintenance to keep the log optimized and I run a regular update.. other than that I have just about every option enabled.

I am running on a single-core system and I never have a problem... This could be caused by invalid registry entries, missing files that are pertaining to services.. quite a few things could be interfering/adding to the problem with it..

I just resumed from a hibernation now, and ESET Antivirus 4.0 was really busy for about 5 minutes. I guess it just feels like 10 minutes or longer when I first start my computer and I really want to use it.

I believe this may also have something to do with the shadow service that operates in Vista.. For every file that is referenced in Vista..if you have the service running the system makes a shadow copy of the unaltered file. You should comb through ALL of your settings and check them. I also only have two things in my scheduler.. I run Log Maintenance to keep the log optimized and I run a regular update.. other than that I have just about every option enabled.

I am running on a single-core system and I never have a problem... This could be caused by invalid registry entries, missing files that are pertaining to services.. quite a few things could be interfering/adding to the problem with it..

By combing through all of my settings do you mean my Windows services or my ESET Antivirus 4.0 settings? I checked my Volume Shadow Copy service and it is stopped now and its Startup Type is Manual. I know this 5 minutes of ESET 4.0 scanning files on startup is not unique to me since DKT27 mentioned he had this problem too and someone posted on the internet about unchecking the two options I mentioned above as well as disabling real-time file system protection to make the problem go away completely.

My ESET option to "Optimize log files automatically" is checked. I don't see how the size of a log file will influence whether files are scanned on startup or not. By running regular updates do you mean Windows updates or ESET updates? Both my Windows updates and ESET updates are completely up to date.

Okay first question about the settings..

I am referring to ESET...and once you disable the Shadow Service.. you can also to a Disk Cleanup that may give you back a TON of space on your hard drive..I do know that someone recommended turning it off.. but its opens a whole in your system for a number of things to happen.. just like not combing through your settings with ESET and settings it up properly..You get a lower level of protection...I personally.. like active protection..

Second question about logs.. this helps ESET ( Eset Smart Security- especially, which is what I have ) The reason this helps the program is that if you have intensive logging particularly with a firewall.. each and every scanned file is written, every connection and packet.. Just like PG2 users experience issues with a large database growing in size until the program starts locking up.. ESET will also require more and more resources to access large log files, that can become fragmented during their growth...ESPECIALLY when you go to view these log files and the update to the files, causes the program to reload the file.. sometimes never giving you the opportunity to even clear it.. so there are two places to manage your log files in the program. .. and ultimately the only reason mentioned this was to let you know that the only two things I have active in my scheduler are the optimizing of the log files to keep ESET running smoothly.. and a regular hourly update...So the answer to the second half is about the scheduler in ESET..

You may also check with a Defrag program and view the level of fragmentation of your drive.. and what files are fragmented. This can also help speed the access of the program to the files from disk and in memory...I would recommend using Ultimate Defrag..

You may also have to switch that service over to disabled or use a system Optimizer like Yamicsoft Vista Manager to actually optimize the services and registry entries to ensure nothing is dysfunctional within your system..Just a good idea to check.

The way see it, un-protecting your system because of a lack of maintenance to get better performance from a program that has one of the smallest footprints on system resources is not an advisable action to take.. I mean there are quite a few methods to make it run with less.. but your sacrificing the whole reason you have it on your system in the first place. -_-

@Night Owl:

Just delete those (startup file check) from the scheduler.

There's no need to disable real-time file system protection.

@Bizarre:

As I mentioned in post 9, I had already unchecked the two startup file check items from the scheduler (back in May). I deleted those two items last night anyway as you suggested, but ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4.0.437.0 is busy now scanning my files after I just resumed from a hibernation.

Why don't you alter your settings to just go into standby mode, ad shut off more hardware.. Its easily configured.. Hibernation takes a while to back from even without.. any AV in place..

Sometimes I do put my Vista notebook into Standby mode. And when I wake it up there's no problem with ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4.0 scanning a lot of files. But I don't always keep a battery in my notebook (to save on battery life) so Standby mode isn't possible then.

On my older XP machine though, ESET NOD32 Antivirus 3.0 does not scan files after resumption from Hibernation (or Standby). I wish ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4.0 would do the same on Vista. I'll have to go through the settings of both with a fine-tooth comb and see if I can spot something else that I can turn off in 4.0.

im still using 2.7 somehow i feel that version 3 and 4 its more heavy on resources compared to version 2.7

It would be great an OPTIMIZATION thread for those using the new version to make as lite as possible

You know that would make perfect sense, but the thing is you turn it all off and get great optimization.. and the reason I am saying that is to represent the wide range of settings and the fact that there is an even wider range of uses, and configurations that need to be considered for each person and system.. Therefore something like this may not really accurately accomplish it's task..I would say that if ESET's latest version still is too much for your PC.. you are LONG overdue for an upgrade...and if not the problem comes from other areas or bottlenecks in your system which along with maintenance needs to be addressed.. Just speaking from experience and what I have seen in the past.

• Administrator

Just go and find all the changelogs in between v2.79 to v4.0.467. You will automatically know why it's soo important to use the current and latest version.

You know that would make perfect sense, but the thing is you turn it all off and get great optimization.. and the reason I am saying that is to represent the wide range of settings and the fact that there is an even wider range of uses, and configurations that need to be considered for each person and system.. Therefore something like this may not really accurately accomplish it's task..I would say that if ESET's latest version still is too much for your PC.. you are LONG overdue for an upgrade...and if not the problem comes from other areas or bottlenecks in your system which along with maintenance needs to be addressed.. Just speaking from experience and what I have seen in the past.

+1

Archived