Jump to content

Counter-Strike co-creator allegedly solicited sex from minor, recorded sex acts without consent


lolsee2

Recommended Posts

The Seattle Police Department arrested Counter-Strike co-creator Jess Cliffe on Thursday following a nine-month investigation for alleged sexual exploitation of a child, according to a police document obtained by ESPN.

 

From April to June 2017, Cliffe and police agree, he participated in at least three paid sexual encounters with a then-16-year-old girl he met online. Cliffe allegedly recorded the last encounter on his mobile phone without her consent. Cliffe's attorney said in court Friday that he was unaware of the girl's age because the dating website they used was restricted to those over 18.

 

The Seattle Police Department opened an investigation into the matter on May 3, 2017, after a referral in regard to commercial sexual exploitation of children involving a juvenile. Throughout the process, the police interviewed the girl and served warrants to the online dating site and AT&T, the provider for Cliffe's mobile phone. Those warrants led investigators to obtain text correspondence between Cliffe and the girl.

 

Cliffe was arrested Wednesday at the Southwest Precinct of the Seattle Police Department and was booked early Thursday morning at the King County Jail. He appeared in court Friday at a bail hearing, at which his bail was set for $150,000, and he posted bail late Friday. He is set to appear in court again on Monday and has yet to be charged with a crime.

 

Cliffe was suspended from his job at Valve Corporation, the company that acquired intellectual property rights to Counter-Strike and hired Cliffe in 2000, on Thursday. Valve issued a statement to multiple news organizations regarding the suspension.

 

"We are still learning details of what actually happened," a Valve representative said in a statement. "Reports suggest he has been arrested for a felony offense. As such we have suspended his employment until we know more."

 

Cliffe has no prior criminal history but was previously arrested in an assault case in 2013 in Seattle. That case was ultimately dismissed.

 

Source:

http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/22303066/counter-strike-co-creator-allegedly-solicited-sex-minor-recorded-sex-acts-consent

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Heard about this a few days ago. Sad indeed all this.

 

I must also mention on the counter argument that some people are reminding everyone that a person is innocent until proven otherwise. If he is guilty then deserves respective punishment though.

 

 

On an different subject. The number of game developers at Valve are getting even smaller. I'm not sure how they are going to make the unannounced, in-development game that Gabe was talking about not so long ago about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, DKT27 said:

Heard about this a few days ago. Sad indeed all this.

 

I must also mention on the counter argument that some people are reminding everyone that a person is innocent until proven otherwise. If he is guilty then deserves respective punishment though.

 

 

On an different subject. The number of game developers at Valve are getting even smaller. I'm not sure how they are going to make the unannounced, in-development game that Gabe was talking about not so long ago about it.

 

But sadly he has admitted to his wrong doings, based on today's news from another source. There was even a case documents filed for it.

 

On a side note, if they are shorthanded , the game release will probably be delayed.

https://www.pcinvasion.com/counter-strike-co-founder-charged-sexual-abuse-minor

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
On 2/6/2018 at 5:16 PM, lolsee2 said:

 

But sadly he has admitted to his wrong doings, based on today's news from another source. There was even a case documents filed for it.

 

On a side note, if they are shorthanded , the game release will probably be delayed.

https://www.pcinvasion.com/counter-strike-co-founder-charged-sexual-abuse-minor

 

 

While I'm in no way support of the person, but I'm trying to understand the case here. The article you have mentioned is putting it as if the girl was personally fine with the video as long as not uploaded online but was of opinion that it's illegal. Is it really so, as I doubt that the girl agreed to filming of it, forget about the uploading online and legal part of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...