Invisible Internet Project (I2P)

Katzenfreund

This is a recent, also free alternative to TOR that works on a different principle based on peer connections.

“The Invisible Internet Project (I2P) is an anonymous network layer that allows for censorship-resistant, peer to peer communication. Anonymous connections are achieved by encrypting the user's traffic (by using end-to-end encryption), and sending it through a volunteer-run network of roughly 55,000 computers distributed around the world. Given the high possibility of paths the traffic can transit, a third party watching a full connection is unlikely. The software that implements this layer is called an "I2P router", and a computer running I2P is called an "I2P node". I2P is free and open source, and is published under multiple licenses.”

Unlike TOR, it supports file sharing and has an integrated BitTorrent client.

Homepage with more info

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, straycat19 said:

Project funded by one of your favorite three letter organizations. 

You omit to say which organization, how you know that, whether you’re sure other anonymisers are on the level and why it should stop you from activities like getting torrents without paying for a VPN service.

Let alone the fact that the said organizations have ways of monitoring practically every such service. In fact, honest VPN operators warn you that you're not truly anonymous. As an example, see the Windscribe FAQs.

It is a very interesting project, but it has to have java installed on your system, and i have avoided that like the plague for years. Thanks for the post, though - it is worth watching for me, in case they ever remove the java dependency.   P.S. Java doesn't work with some (or maybe any ) 64 bit browsers according to the java website, so there is that to consider as well. :ph34r:

Archived