Stupid DSL

karachidude

Hey guys,

I recently(three days ago) removed my 512kbps connection and migrated to a 2MB DSL.

Now the problem is when i chech my downlink speed from SPEEDTEST.NET it constantly shows me 1.6-1.8MBPS,i have checked at different times.But when i download something using the IDM or without IDM I get downloads at 30-50kbps and even less,sometime 3kbps,utorrent downloads at max 80.

I should mention that i installed .NETSpeedBoost and SpeedConnect,then latter removed speed connect.In addition i have just installed IDM.

What seems to b the problem,why is it so freakin choking?

K'dude

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Divide your current 2Mb connection with 8. That is about 256KBps. Now reduce 10% from 256KBps that is now 220KBps. Now this is what you should get at max. ;)

Note: There is a big difference between Kbps and KBps

theoretical Speed is Something different from the actual download speed

For e.g

if you have 1 Mbps connection

Your actual download speed is about 1 Mb divided by 8 = 100~150 kb

if 2 MB = 250~300

Now , when u check ur download speed through Speed test's website .

it does Take your whole download Speed ,,,While Torrent May not or even direct download

that's basically Becoz there are a speed limit in the direct download

or , no enough seeders (upload speed ) in the torrent

Just to check : try to hop on a torrent which has 2:1 (seeder : leecher) and see what's the max download speed

@DKT

Thanks for the info.

@Bashar

Thanks man.i wll do that :)

• Administrator

Well for this thanx. Shought and Manpe deserve it. They are the people who let me come to know about it. ;)

yeh to b specific,first time shought told me bout this,in a thread i posted,so i knew this ;)

but u told me again,for that :thumbsup:

no...its showing in Mbps..lol...i justtt now checked and its telling me download speed 1.73,and i m hardly getting even near it in reality...lol

you can set what speed meter U want

whether Mbps or Kbps

You can choose

i m just downloading a 100mb rapidshare file through a rapidshare link generator...and its only downloading at 59kbps on a 2mbps connection,know thats lame..

you can set what speed meter U want

whether Mbps or Kbps

You can choose

thanks for telling,i dint know that,but it doesnt make a difference right,speedtest shows me 1.7mbps download speed and i m only getting like 60 kbps,i got more than that on a 512kbps connection .. :lol:

• Administrator

RPS link gen sites maynot allways give you 100% speed. They are also on stress.

ANW download the file from nsanedown or download.com to be sure that you connection really that slow. ;)

i just download a 7.5MB file from download.com,and the max i got was 131kbps,i mean thats not enough,the least i should get is 200kbps..

@heath

i think ur right, my connections dropping packets,but the news is i am downloading a 7.5GB torrent with 5 leeches and 32 seeders active and its giving me 149kbps max,and know the browsing is suffering because of it....common i still should have like atleast 50kbps to browse.149kbps is the max it is reaching...

u no how to stop packets from dropping

EDIT:Why is speedtest showing stupid readings

Thats was meant to through you BTW..LOL.. BUT true to form it can be a factor..even your RJ45 cable can be bad..your phone jack and accompanying hardware.. even in the manner in which they run the line from the pole to your home..

Actually there are several things that can hurt your connection.. Running network lines even power supplies in parallel with others for more than a few feet can cause interference, and a low quality signal... Not using a DSL filter on a line...Noise Margin Attenuation, and Output Power..You can run diagnostic from your router as well to see if anything is failing..You can also access logs to see if something is being blocked or needs to be changed, to get rid of errors or problems with your router configuration that may contribute to better quality connections.

If your router supports it .. there should be a little graph that you can access that will look much like the one your Task Manager has...It should also show you exactly what your connection is getting up and down.. There are several settings that can effect this but before you do anything you need to consult online documentation concerning each setting, before you assume anything or alter it..

My connection reports 1536 kbps down and 384 kbps up... however I have seen my connect throttle up to over double that at various times, improving my speeds...This number is shown on the first page of my router which is older, but has it..

Ultimately if you spend sometime and dig a little .. do everything you can to help your connection..

1. You will know more than you did before...

2. Realize that some of this can be beyond your control...

3. May even have a better understanding about networking...

4. Why all of the areas of traffic shaping are not to be dismissed...

5. What effecting factors there may be...

A search engine can be your friend and it may take some time.. My big thing came when I started looking into running a server on my own about ten years ago.. The considerations that come into play there are sometimes overlooked when thinking through on the client side but they are good to think about..

BTW.. since you have changed over to DSL.. have you thought about how your previous settings for your previous line may now need to be altered to be optimized for the new connection? Some of these settings may not be the best when used for DSL..

yes i m using ZTE(ZXDSL 831(2here in roman..lol)),its also written here ADSL Modem

• Administrator

Well if you here my problem your mouth would be open to full. I cannot surf internet when I even start my torrent client. Not downloadin but just openin. In all the torrent clients I have used Vuze, uTorrent, BitTorrent and one I forgot it's name.

lol..thats just sad..limit ur utorrent bandwidth usage i guess :D

@heath

yes ur rite...ok..i wll do these things..and look at the physical aspects aswell

thankx man

@Biz

ok.Thanks

Archived