Windows 10 telemetry violates privacy laws

hacker7

windows-10-box.jpg

The data collecting activities of Windows 10 has landed Microsoft in trouble again. Investigating the telemetry built into the operating system, the Dutch Data Protection Authority (DPA) has said that Microsoft's spying is a violation of local privacy laws.

Of particular concern to the authority is the fact that users are not clearly told that data will be collected in both Windows itself and Microsoft Edge. With Microsoft's web browser gathering data about every URL that's visited by users who have not opted out of telemetry, and Windows 10 itself sucking up detailed information about app usage, the DPA is concerned that users are not adequately informed or protected.

See also:

The DPA -- the latest European authority to take exception to Microsoft's activities -- says that there are more than 4 million Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro devices in the Netherlands. It notes that users are not informed about data collection properly, nor are they told about how the data will be used. This places Microsoft in violation of the Dutch data protection law.

The DPA says:

Microsoft does not clearly inform users about the type of data it uses, and for which purpose. Also, people cannot provide valid consent for the processing of their personal data, because of the approach used by Microsoft. The company does not clearly inform users that it continuously collects personal data about the usage of apps and web surfing behaviour through its web browser Edge, when the default settings are used.

The authority is calling on Microsoft to make changes to telemetry settings, or the company could find that it faces sanctions in the Netherlands. Wilbert Tomesen, vice-chairman of the Dutch DPA, says:

It turns out that Microsoft's operating system follows about every step you take on your computer. That results in an intrusive profile of yourself. What does that mean? Do people know about this, do they want this? Microsoft needs to give users a fair opportunity to decide about this themselves.

Microsoft is understandably keen to resolve the matter, with Windows and devices group privacy officer Marisa Rogers saying that the company is willing to work with the DPA to get things sorted out. She says:

I want our customers to know that it is a priority for us that Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro are clearly compliant under Dutch law.

Since launching Windows 10, we've been on a journey listening to feedback from customers and collaborating with regulators around the world. As a result, we've made improvements to ensure all versions of Windows 10 meet our customers' privacy needs and expectations. For example, we've worked with Swiss and French data protection authorities to incorporate their guidance, subsequently improving the privacy controls in Windows 10 Home and Pro and earning their positive assessments of the changes.

This year we have released a new privacy dashboard and several new privacy features to provide clear choices to our customers and easy-to-use tools in Windows 10. Next week, we have even more privacy improvements coming in the Fall Creators Update.

We welcome the opportunity to continue to work with the Dutch DPA on their comments related to Windows 10 Home and Pro, and we will continue to cooperate with the DPA to find appropriate solutions.

But Microsoft is not entirely happy with the investigations carried out by the DPA. While the company does not elaborate on what it disagrees with, Rogers says:;)

We have also shared specific concerns with the Dutch DPA about the accuracy of some of its findings and conclusions. A summary of the points in the DPA's announcement, which we believe do not accurately reflect the data protection compliance of Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro under Dutch

law, can be found here.

Source: https://betanews.com

source 

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8 minutes ago, vissha said:

@lurch234Here is the source of this article.

@hacker7Never post threads without source since it'll be copyright issue for nsane team. Pls add the above source link to main post soon.

Betanews is a crap source and  this story broke the 13th  they are 2 days behind ..My take on this  Windows 10  witch we all knows it spies on you surely Google Android breaks there laws too .. Nether one breaks laws here in the USA. They even say it's OK for our ISP too sell our data .

9 hours ago, vissha said:

@lurch234Here is the source of this article.

@hacker7Never post threads without source since it'll be copyright issue for nsane team. Pls add the above source link to main post soon.

The source is all over the Text above:yes:

BUt will add now any how.

See also:

So funny to see that some think that I have not enough courage to tell what I think from my current ID. I don't need to hide myself at all !

I have a good news for you : I leave ! ( Do not be so happy, maybe , I will come back someday ) .

This decision has nothing to do with your behavior : The stupidness always is fun for me !

I have lots of things to do, and I would love to see from the armchair how you will cut your necks. I will celebrate for that drinking champagne....:cheers:

1 hour ago, compgen1534 said:

All of you are lame for arguing like children... Get a hold of yourselves it's just a forum...!

Yes it's just a forum  and i don't see no one arguing just some idiot who keeps posting ugly pics about me  with 3 post and i just laugh about it  because it's just a forum but you m8 try too make a big deal out of it when  there not even bothering you so who needs to comes to grasp with the fact it's just a forum  ?  I learn along time ago if you give someone enough rope  they will hang themselves.  How about adding something too the topic instead trying to worry about  others problems  on here ?  If these guys want keep on too keep on fighting let the Admin sort it out because that's not our fight .:lol:

I don't really know what happen between those two but i do know i had complaints by a lot of people  about one of the members in this topic in my inbox  of  him harassing  them  long before this ever happened for some years now.  We have a jealousy and spite work problem here. I don't see @hacker7arguing I just just think hes paranoid others are out too get him but on this forum it pays too be paranoid.

knowledge-Spammer

u  have make good comment

if you give someone enough rope  they will hang themselves.

about been on top  no one stays on top forever

to me seems like a  gangteam wants fights with  RECRUIT

when  people push to much it can go all wrong fast

@steven36 I love your Profile pic :wub:

react_thanks.pngreact_haha.png

And by the way i think the cyberghost is not so bad after all.

19 minutes ago, knowledge said:

u  have make good comment

if you give someone enough rope  they will hang themselves.

about been on top  no one stays on top forever

to me seems like a  gangteam wants fights with  RECRUIT

when  people push to much it can go all gone fast

Maybe someone put it in his head that hes out to get him,  because rumors on this board go around fast and many of them are  old i heard it all before  and maybe he is out to get him I don't read peoples minds  and i don't take sides,  because its not my fight and  people don't pm me with you're board problems i got better things too do than listen too them.

I just laugh about it and  if  someone wants too mess with me too much ill just put  them  on block and end it. Because it's just a forum. If you guys cant get along you going  get in trouble  so maybe it's best you block each other  take it from someone who knows . Is you being a member here worth a silly fight?

@knowledge They say love make one blind and i know that you love and respect your freinds.

but this was a peaceful post before someone start posting funny pic:yes:

And this someone seems to know us to well to be a newibe here

I also hear he is folloowed by a smell of shit  Sucker7

He said

Steven38 a lamer that tell coders what to do .?

Spoiler

1xnlah.jpg

KXbzE.png

21 minutes ago, hacker7 said:

And this someone seems to know us to well to be a newibe here

He don't know me even if he seen me in the past i retired  from all that years ago and all that stuff is deleted now for years and that site is gone for years it's just a memory is all and i left years before it even closed down on my own. I deleted  all that stuff from that site when  a little bird told me they was banning members  filehost accounts about a year latter after i left.  I'm not the same person anymore , I'm in recovery  I'm not addicted to helping people out no more i only help out only people in private  for years now. You people are a buzz kill  lol. :lol:

1 hour ago, steven36 said:

but on this forum it pays too be paranoid.

Give the man a cigar!   CompetentMatureHarrier-size_restricted.g  B)

47 minutes ago, namek said:

Good morning world ;D

Well good evening to you too, but I think ? this is the wrong thread. :lol:

On 10/17/2017 at 4:02 AM, BioHazard said:

Well good evening to you too, but I think ? this is the wrong thread. :lol:

Nope, It was directed specifically to this topic =) It's like, after so many facts and stuff, only now they are waking up. That's why I said Good Morning =)

Archived