AdBlocker that blocks only the sites you want (opposite)

Kokain

I'm using Adguard and I was wondering what adblocker out there can actually not block anything but only block certain sites I add. Kinda like a whitelist button/field but instead it's the opposite. No particular reason, just asking as I'm normally not a big fan of adblockers since they bottleneck the traffic so much the page response is not worth having one on all the time. As much as I hate adverts and popups when the page loads like windows explorer instead of internet explorer, you can often click where you need to go before the rest of the crap even loads. Certain sites however I just need to have something. Well let's discuss....

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Kokain said:

I'm using Adguard and I was wondering what adblocker out there can actually not block anything but only block certain sites I add.

That can be accomplished with any ad. blocker.

8 minutes ago, Kokain said:

No particular reason, just asking as I'm normally not a big fan of adblockers since they bottleneck the traffic so much the page response is not worth having one on all the time.

Really — in that case, doesn't sound as if ad. blockers were meant for you. :)

It's pretty much a stupid thing to do — but, I'm just making this post for academic purposes:—

Settings >> Ad Blocker >> (ensure that) Enable ad blocking (is ticked) >> (un-tick/disable everything else) >> (this would cause most sites to become free from filtering) >> (there are other sections — but, to the best of my knowledge those are already disabled, by default.)

Next, you can create site-specific rules using the Adguard AdBlocker add-on, Adguard Assistant Extension or even manually entering the rules >> Settings >> Ad Blocker >> Open filter editor >> User Filter.

36 minutes ago, Kokain said:

I'm using Adguard and I was wondering what adblocker out there can actually not block anything but only block certain sites I add.

Please note, once you start creating and blocking specific sites with your Adguard, navigate to Settings >> Ad Blocker >> (to ensure that) User Filter is also ticked (enabled.)

In short, just the rules from the User Filter would function for filtering.

1 hour ago, Kokain said:

adblockers since they bottleneck the traffic so much the page response is not worth having one on all the time

Actually this should be the reverse: since certain assets of the page and external links are blocked from even being downloaded and rendered, page should load faster and also scroll faster as there is less content to display.

I don't use adguard but if I take the same page with or without ublock, it definitely loads faster with ublock on...

There are 2 (nah 3) types of Users of ad. blockers:-

Normal Users (like most folks):

These are the ones who depend on Subscription Filter and User (Custom,) Filters as well — in varying ratios as per individual expertise.

Paranoid Users (like me):

I don't use Subscription Filters but prefer only my own User (Custom,) Filters — with a global rule at the root that blocks the internet completely and then begins to allow only those select few sites for which I create allow rules.

Extraterrestrials:

These are the pick of this site — precious, emerging army led by a SysAdmin who deign to block advertisements with their firewall instead of Ad. blocker. You might want to seek their advice — be warned . . . . . . they're a secretive tribe.

Archived