Mozilla has cleaned up Firefox privacy provisions

fr3d3r1ck

16 hours ago, steven36 said:

It's called pingsender.exe in the Firefox folder.

My bad, I wasn't using the public version of Firefox and it does as you said.

• Replies 31
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, TROJA said:

Could you recommend me the fastest and most secure version of Firefox or what kind of Addons or tricks should i use to make it better ?

Pale Moon or Waterfox...

19 hours ago, knowledge said:

for me i stay on 55.0.3  i not care about Security vulnerabilities :o

u guys can do as u feel best for u but i not want to  take time  to edit of change things  when 55.0.3 is fine for me no problems on that version

maybe on newer version something i have make it slow ? like adguard or something i donot no  but i said some time ago i  may stop useing firefox if it not changed in good ways  shame

Firefox is never going  too change back too the way it was they been headed on this course for years even though they have a lot of users there user base is small compared too Google and there trying too compete by becoming more like Google and if they gain half it's users or more  it would be many more times users than they have now .

And if they don't  and keep losing users they didn't lose nothing that they were not going too lose no way,  because many have been leaving Firefox and going too Google  Chrome for years by the millions .  The masses were not happy with the way Firefox was anymore and mostly only power users that liked legacy add-ons was left . All  those years we used CTR too try reverse a move Firefox made years ago and in Firefox 57 there enforcing it. :)

Still Firefox is much better code privacy wise than  browsers based on  Chromium  because you can still go into about config and profile and delete and turn off the telemetry settings and stuff Google pays them too use . In Chromium it's baked in by Google so it will never be as good as Gecko privacy wise were its added and can be removed .:tooth:

As far as using Firefox  ESR  I never had too change nothing  in it.  That is the whole point in using it is  not having too change nothing for a whole year and still get security and stability updates.  I been using Firefox  or  one of it's forks for almost 12 years and  I seen rough weather like this before  back when Firefox 3x came out it was very unstable compared too version 2x so they kept doing security updates for 2x  . Finally nightly versions became more stable than the 3x releases and I used it tell it got final and got the bugs out of so called stable and they broke add-ons many times before but this will change the way they make add-ons for  good next month when 57 goes final  .

I first  tried Firefox it was version 1.5 then but kept using IE  tell Firefox 2x came out and I switched too Firefox and never switch back too IE . The release system was different then releases changed very little before they added the rapid release system and many started leaving for Google..  Opera never did really interest me once  it became freeware with no ads  when it 1st came out  free versions had ads and you had too buy it  and put a key in too remove them I tested it back then and even had a leaked serial  I got off irc . I don't think Opera is really that bad but they use chrome add-ons so there canvas blocking add-on is not as good . I use Opera add-ons that Google don't have in  Slimjet there very easy too make work in  Chromium based browsers.   :D

18 hours ago, Amigaspace said:

Pale Moon or Waterfox...

Palemoon  is OK the way it is now  but with Firefox AMO  changing add-ons  if they stay like they are you will be using old outdated versions of add-ons forever. I look for them too change again in the future  they already messed up there add-on system were it don't support  many of the old ones  and none of the new ones ether. :lol:

Waterfox depends  on Firefox too heavy for updates so still the resource leak  is still present in his code it didn't get Fixed tell Firefox 57   it will be interesting too see can he pull off still being able too use legacy add-ons and new Web add-ons too but the dev is always running behind on updates and never has betas  too test you're lucky too even get a final. :P

5 hours ago, steven36 said:

Palemoon  is OK the way it is now  but with Firefox AMO  changing add-ons  if they stay like they are you will be using old outdated versions of add-ons forever. I look for them too change again in the future  they already messed up there add-on system were it don't support  many of the old ones  and none of the new ones ether. :lol:

You have to see the other side of the coin, too. What makes you think that Firefox and AMO will be the ones to outlive either Pale Moon or Waterfox? FF has been going downhill and that is certainly not going to change now - expect even more users abandoning ship, not just "advanced geeks". Old extensions that work fine, don't need any updating or "modernizing". Many great extensions are still being updated as XUL versions today, and their WebExtensions future is either dubious, or flirting with 'lite' versions with limited functionality.

And there's the batch of excellent extensions that will never go WebExtensions and Firefox has lost forever. FEBE is just one example. People who want simple stuff and don't care about privacy, will switch to Chrome (or even Edge!) just like that. Firefox has little or no reason to exist any more I'm afraid. They've given up on user freedom, customization and privacy.

Firefox v57 notice:

FEBE is considered a 'legacy' extension and will no longer work with Firefox v57 and above. FEBE cannot be written with the WebExtensions platform that Mozilla has adopted for all extensions. FEBE will still be maintained, but only for Firefox clones (like Pale Moon).

1 hour ago, Amigaspace said:

You have to see the other side of the coin, too. What makes you think that Firefox and AMO will be the ones to outlive either Pale Moon or Waterfox? FF has been going downhill and that is certainly not going to change now - expect even more users abandoning, not just "advanced geeks". Old extensions that work fine, don't need any updating or "modernizing". Many great extensions are still being updated as XUL versions today, and their WebExtensions future is either dubious, or flirting with 'lite' versions with limited functionality.

And there's the batch of excellent extensions that will never go WebExtensions and Firefox has lost forever. FEBE is an example.

Well Palemoon has had its own addon page for few years now it mostly full of old addons that never get updates not many devs ever took a liking too it  . Only  the Big 3 really make browsers now days IE  uses Trident and Edge  uses EdgeHTML  is by Microsoft . Google started Chromium  and Mozilla started Netscape and Gecko  and are working on  Servo now.  These other browser makers don't really make browsers  they depend on other browsers too give them a core to build upon .

It sort  of like Linux  anyone can download someones distro and change it looks and say they make a disro but if were not for other distros they would not exist and Palemoon  or Waterfox would never exist if there was no Firefox . Palemoon get there security updates from Mozilla and are based on old  Firefox . Waterfox depends on Firefox for security updates and its code .

They done nothing but copy others work and removed what they don't like they never invented a browser engine from scratch. There so many browser clones out there is why the guy who runs portableapps don't even like doing new ones. No hobbyist project by no one man show will ever be  a threat too the companies  who make there engines and updates they depend on or they would go closed source were they could not use there stuff anymore . Mozilla  was not always open source they started out as closed source.   All Firefox Forks  and   Chromium  forks  are just  for niche  users and they have a cult following is all .If something was too happen too the Devs at Palemoon or Waterfox they would be dead in the water dude ,there is other projects based on Firefox and other engines that not got updates in years even, look what happen too Opera when they adopted Chromium.  :lol:

2 hours ago, steven36 said:

It sort  of like Linux  anyone can download someones distro and change it looks and say they make a disro but if were not for other distros they would not exist and Palemoon  or Waterfox would never exist if there was no Firefox . Palemoon get there security updates from Mozilla and are based on old  Firefox . Waterfox depends on Firefox for security updates and its code. They done nothing but copy others work and removed what they don't like they never invented a browser engine from scratch.

Those are not arguments. No one creates anything "from scratch". Would Firefox exist if Netscape Navigator didn't exist? It doesn't matter because it's a silly argument. That's history. While what you say may be -partially- true, today the Web is moving faster and differently, and individual programmers (not just Pale Moon, Waterfox devs etc. - many others out there) can do miracles, while larger "corporate" teams can create disasters. Just look at Firefox and Edge :P. You can verify this in any type of software. "If something happens to the devs" like a bus running them over is a ridiculous argument, You ask that question again if and when something like that happens. The code is out there for any talented programmer to evolve, That's why it's called Open-Source, remember?

The past is the past. I suggest you try to stop focusing on individual products/browsers/extensions and start looking at the wider picture.

1 hour ago, Amigaspace said:

Those are not arguments. No one creates anything "from scratch". Would Firefox exist if Netscape Navigator didn't exist? It doesn't matter because it's a silly argument. That's history. While what you say may be -partially- true, today the Web is moving faster and differently, and individual programmers (not just Pale Moon, Waterfox devs etc. - many others out there) can do miracles, while larger "corporate" teams can create disasters. Just look at Firefox and Edge :P. You can verify this in any type of software. "If something happens to the devs" like a bus running them over is a ridiculous argument, You ask that question again if and when something like that happens. The code is out there for any talented programmer to evolve, That's why it's called Open-Source, remember?

The past is the past. I suggest you try to stop focusing on individual products/browsers/extensions and start looking at the wider picture.

The same people who invented Netscape Navigator invented Firefox  and lost the 1st Browser wars too IE  and then Firefox lost too Google a longtime ago in the 2nd browser wars . Firefox never could gain High makertshare  with legacy addons   they lost too IE for years witch has no addons as well and then they lost too IE and Google for years . No niche browser made on a  2nd or 3rd place browser's code  will ever have any market value . And no clone of any browser  has ever been successful and EDGE is suffering  from that same fate as many think it's a clone of IE . That's just the way it's always been.   Waterfox  and Palemoon  are counted as Firefox in the market even. they have  too use Firefox user strings mixed with there  own for many sites too even work for them.

Only technophiles and people who are worried about privacy worry about what addons they use and a browsers code . The masses are more worried about  it being stable and fast  than anything else and give them a adblocker that half works they are happy. That's why IE staid on top so long it was very stable and it did not matter if  they got infected as long as it worked when they needed it. :lol:

Archived