Sad day for me :( my CoolerMaster power supply died

LeetPirate

I have this CoolerMaster iGreen 600W power supply which is supposed to have 4x reliability as stated on the box and it's dead today after about 2 years of use. :( How sad is that? It's like this one here except mine is the 600W version. I can't believe I wasted all that money thinking it would last me a lifetime. 400,000 hours MTBF they said and it only lasted 2 years. :angry: All the benchmarks and reviews were so convincing, the worst part is the thing is so shiny and sexy and now it's dead. I never saw a power supply with so much gloss and reflections as this one, now it's dead and gone. I don't know if to give it a proper burial or put it under a truck tire for dying before time. Angry and sad at the same time.

Oh and now for the real problem, when I turn on the pc it does not come on, instead the red light in the back of the power supply turns on to suggest some failure. I even removed the power supply and tried to kickstart it by shorting the green wire but it doesn't start and that pcb is so crammed in that small space I won't even bother trying to fix it. I might just be wasting my time especially if it is of the transformers inside is the problem. I think I will buy Seasonic brand now. Oh well I'm still lucky I guess, last time when I had a cheap power supply in there it blow out and had a flame and some intense smoke :hehe:

How is CoolerMaster in the European and Eastern countries? Is it regarded as rubbish or good stuff?

• Replies 18
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Sorry but people buy this PSUs? I've never bought an PSU that was not supplied when I bought my CPU.

In the european countries it's quite a brand. My case is a CoolerMaster cm690 and my Powersupply is the CM .... 520w.. (forgot the name lawl)

But now it's back to a friend of mine to fix the black screen on boot.. (my mechanic :D)( was too lazy)

Try OCZ power supply. There are one of the best here :)

But it's kinda strange that it died like 2 years? Got an old pc.. supply's still running after 6 years?

Sorry to hear that. I also own a CoolerMaster PSU, and I think it's great. I have Real Power M520 and I think it's really high quality since I got 5 years warranty. MTBF is 11 years.

Cheers ;)

EDIT: Your PSU has MTBF 44 years. Really strange that it died. Do you still have a warranty? Since I got 5 years warranty for 4 times shorter MTBF, you should also have at least 5 years.

im not buying the 400,000+ hours. no way. with just 2 years that gave you 17,000 hours. which is still too soon. a normal power system shoudl be one of the last things to go bad on a system. i believe i read 10 year life usually.

where you are at is the eletrical power system stable? turn your computer on and off everyday?

im going to assume you was using some kind of surge protector. sometimes those dont do the job and the power system eats it while the sp still working. we lost a printer and laptop battery in FSGA over the summer while training soldiers there.

reading the link inf. this wasnt one of those green products was it? i will never buy anytihng that claims its green when it for a computer. no data history behind those products and they are also more costly.

good luck with yoru computer. hope nothing else was damage by it. might be time to clean the connections form what you said its a busy layout inside it

The best PSU are "PC Power & Cooling", "Corsair" and "Silverstone"
The 1st and 3rd I believe, Corsair don't make their own stuff, they are just a rebrander so I don't trust them for consistency as they could change manufacturers anytime. The UL number on the power supply will tell you which factory really made it.
Sorry to hear that. I also own a CoolerMaster PSU, and I think it's great. I have Real Power M520 and I think it's really high quality since I got 5 years warranty. MTBF is 11 years.

Cheers ;)

EDIT: Your PSU has MTBF 44 years. Really strange that it died. Do you still have a warranty? Since I got 5 years warranty for 4 times shorter MTBF, you should also have at least 5 years.

Warranty smorranty, :lol: These parts I import from online (American sites) because they don't really sell here in my country and if they are in stores the retailers add like 1000% profit. It's too heavy/costly to send it back really :(. It is supposed to have 3 or 5 yrs warranty, I can't remember which one. In any case I said screw the warranty and I opened it to see if there was any blown fuses possibly, it was a shiny paper weight anyway.

My main PC is packing a Cooler Master Real Power Pro 650W so I hope this one does not fail me too else I will really be mad at CM.

From now on I won't waste time on brand name too much because clearly brand does not mean much after I wasted so much money on one of the first 80plus psu with Active Power Factor Correction and 44years MTBF that turned out to be 2years in reality, lol. I am looking at some SeaSonic 300W and PC power & cooling 370W models.

Cheers ;)

Got the same one :P Good thing.. and has a nice green thingie.

But Leet.. if ya can't send it back.. it's gonna suck. You had to think about that before you bought it that pricey :P

Cheers ;)

Got the same one :P Good thing.. and has a nice green thingie.

But Leet.. if ya can't send it back.. it's gonna suck. You had to think about that before you bought it that pricey :P

Well to be honest I was thinking of it in another angle. For me I expected the bestest quality on the face of the planet when I saw CM offering 44 years MTBF and 85% efficiency. I know it's not a perfect way of thinking since there is always a chance electronics will fail but this is probably the first in a long time I ever get a raw deal like this. The problem too is that these things pack some large electrolytic capacitors in them which really makes them poor performers over time. You would think that by now they could use better components. I guess when things seem too good to be true they usually are. ;)

You guys are living in the past. I went to gerbel power years ago. Yeah the wheel creaks once in a while, but as long as you bring a few carrots every day... you will never run out of power.

You guys are living in the past. I went to gerbel power years ago. Yeah the wheel creaks once in a while, but as long as you bring a few carrots every day... you will never run out of power.

:lmao:

-myidisbb is right, you can have the best powersupply, if the power is bad or you got too much variation its gonna hurt, maybe 2 years was a good lifetime in that case...

-Have you tried a different outlet?

-Check your outlet with a multimeter.

-You said that the last powersupply burst into fire... maybe its a good thing that the coolmaster refuse to work :)

-Seems that you are unsure about the red light meaning, maybe it tells you more than (im fried) message. Browse the forum?

-The enemies of electronics is Surge, Heat and Spill :P

This is going to sound like a stupid suggestion of two things .. but what I have been able to pull of for about a hundred HP crapware desktops..

1. Reset/Voltage switch in the back..with unit off.. switch over, unplug the power from the wall.. Wait till there are no signs of life ( maybe a minute or two ). Then switch it back plug in the power cord to the PC, then to the wall.. and then try and boot.

2. Temperature/Fans they seem to start to turn extremely slow and almost never get the cooling done..Which in turn causes the thing to just turn off.. Reason yours has a huge fan.. but if the fan doesn't turn when it comes on.. then you can spin it with something get it turning, maybe even slap the mount for the motor gently.. for some reason this gets them going.. and they may last you for awhile after that.. kind of a half-ass way to keep the system working long enough to do whatever it is you may want to do..

3. Oddly enough this can be the result..depending on your system.. of OTHER hardware failures..Hard drive/RAM..so on.

But anyway yeah the basics there .. LOL

-myidisbb is right, you can have the best powersupply, if the power is bad or you got too much variation its gonna hurt, maybe 2 years was a good lifetime in that case...

-Have you tried a different outlet?

-Check your outlet with a multimeter.

-You said that the last powersupply burst into fire... maybe its a good thing that the coolmaster refuse to work :)

-Seems that you are unsure about the red light meaning, maybe it tells you more than (im fried) message. Browse the forum?

-The enemies of electronics is Surge, Heat and Spill :P

maybe u weren't using a grounded outlet and u got some electrical spike or something..

I checked the outlet guys, it was grounded as it should be. Once I replaced the psu, the replacement unit is working fine. The system is plugged into one of those line conditioner devices so it should have been ok.

This is going to sound like a stupid suggestion of two things .. but what I have been able to pull of for about a hundred HP crapware desktops..

1. Reset/Voltage switch in the back..with unit off.. switch over, unplug the power from the wall.. Wait till there are no signs of life ( maybe a minute or two ). Then switch it back plug in the power cord to the PC, then to the wall.. and then try and boot.

2. Temperature/Fans they seem to start to turn extremely slow and almost never get the cooling done..Which in turn causes the thing to just turn off.. Reason yours has a huge fan.. but if the fan doesn't turn when it comes on.. then you can spin it with something get it turning, maybe even slap the mount for the motor gently.. for some reason this gets them going.. and they may last you for awhile after that.. kind of a half-ass way to keep the system working long enough to do whatever it is you may want to do..

3. Oddly enough this can be the result..depending on your system.. of OTHER hardware failures..Hard drive/RAM..so on.

But anyway yeah the basics there .. LOL

Well it does not sound stupid, I have already tried spinning the fan manually. There is no voltage selector at the back, the input is full range 90-240V so no voltage switch is present. I'm keeping it in my pile of spare parts, maybe one day it will work but I doubt it ever will. Seems like just a case of unlucky purchase where I got a faulty device. The thing is it's not like they even tested the MTBF they claimed, it's just calculations and I happened to get a faulty one. Atleast the fan is still good, I could probably install another psu circuit board inside this dead psu and make it silent, lol.

• Administrator

When my PSU stoped workin, I changed it's fuse and it started workin again. Well it was in my old PC. I don't know whether new PSU contain fuse or not.

Archived