Forum Upgrade Bugs

Lite

12 minutes ago, 0bin said:

I think the search function not work, and the database is not indexing. But I hope to be wrong.

Don't worry, You are not wrong.

• Replies 658
  • Views 61.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Due to some specific problems, I am not able to check how much indexing has been done - the issue related to the forums not the indexing part. I have let Lite know about it and he will look into it.

• Administrator
11 hours ago, multiply said:

Any chance of topic titles being given priority in the search indexing?

Do not think so. IPB itself decides what or how it is to be indexed. Having said, that's a good suggestion though, if I can forward it to them, it's surely help many.

Meanwhile, use this on Google:

site:nsaneforums.com -enter your search here-

See if it works for you there.

4 hours ago, DKT27 said:

See if it works for you there.

Tested right now, it seems a partial indexing :rolleyes:

Could get "Betond Compare" search results but not "Nitro PDF" :blink:

• Administrator

@vissha: The - Paste as plain text - button issue is confirmed. Remind me in a couple of days, I will fix it.

Having said, the newer version's dialog asking one to paste as plain text below the post area when pasting is quite good though. But still, I will fix the button when it's possible to do so.

3 hours ago, DKT27 said:

@vissha: The - Paste as plain text - button issue is confirmed. Remind me in a couple of days, I will fix it.

Having said, the newer version's dialog asking one to paste as plain text below the post area when pasting is quite good though. But still, I will fix the button when it's possible to do so.

Sure, thanks.

Yes, it is good but it is not visibly catchy. Hence, the need for the Paste as Text option too.

On 08/09/2017 at 9:47 AM, Agent 86 said:

I just logged in and had a notification that 2 posts have been made to this thread. Thats OK except the 2 posts I got notifications for were posted on Sept 1st. My notification said they were posted 23 mins ago! wtf!

I get this too, about 2 or 3 per day - all old posts but the notification says ...mins ago. I've now marked the site as read to see if that stops it.

• Administrator
On 9/13/2017 at 11:06 AM, vissha said:

Sure, thanks.

Yes, it is good but it is not visibly catchy. Hence, the need for the Paste as Text option too.

I tried to fix it. But does not work.

Here is a thing. The editor IPB uses, introduced a new thing in it. This thing, which is an addon to the editor, changes the right click menu when right clicking in the editor. The problem happens when the button - Paste as Plain Text - now depends on that addon and does not work without it. Now, as that addon completely changes how one right clicks in the editor here and also introduces it's own problems, I do not think we should install that here.

So, sadly, it's not possible to fix this button and that is why I have removed it.

@sanjoa: Twitter integration fixed. Please check it and see if it's working properly here. If you are somehow not able to login here after using Twitter or are not able to post after login through it, please log out and leave us a guest message in the Site / Forum Feedback forums.

I have also tried to fix Tapatalk, please check if it works there.

On 9/7/2017 at 8:12 PM, DKT27 said:

It's for those members who do not have any avatars. The new forum version adds a alphabet to their avatar based on the first alphabet of their username.

It's still indexing. A lot better than previously, but still taking time.

As I have said before, for all the forum posts to be indexed completely, we either have to take the forums offline for a couple of days or let it do in the background, taking it's own time here.

If someone really had the bright idea to index the posts - and actually went through with it, ..

congrats, you have archieved nothing - Let me rephrase that...

Posts consist of more than just the content. All cross-references to User/Views/Thanks/Date/Subscription ....
are literally indexed in the db's dedicated cell - Each post already has it's own cell !

Now, "indexing" would follow all the references of a cell and create indexes for everything!

That's why you DONT index posts - You index the Threads/Topics.

The logic behind is this: Threads are pretty static and don't change at all - A good indexing job
would dump all the Titles/ID into a text file and cron it every 12/24 hours.
Why ?  This way you don't have ANY load on the database .. almost zero queries

.. because Ajax can do it.

.. oh, and the notification issues aren't directly index related - it's more a cache issue. Why?

Because indexes are cached - too much of them however does the exact opposite..

nonspin

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, nonspin said:

If someone really had the bright idea to index the posts - and actually went through with it, ..

congrats, you have archieved nothing - Let me rephrase that...

Posts consist of more than just the content. All cross-references to User/Views/Thanks/Date/Subscription ....
are literally indexed in the db's dedicated cell - Each post already has it's own cell !

Now, "indexing" would follow all the references of a cell and create indexes for everything!

That's why you DONT index posts - You index the Threads/Topics.

The logic behind is this: Threads are pretty static and don't change at all - A good indexing job
would dump all the Titles/ID into a text file and cron it every 12/24 hours.
Why ?  This way you don't have ANY load on the database .. almost zero queries

.. because Ajax can do it.

.. oh, and the notification issues aren't directly index related - it's more a cache issue. Why?

Because indexes are cached - too much of them however does the exact opposite..

nonspin

While, only Lite can properly answer your suggestions and questions here - if he gets time for it, I appreciate your concern and guide. However, I must mention, from what I know, indexing the forums probably becomes mandatory after every major upgrade of IPB, otherwise it might break the forums, thread wise or post wise not sure. Second is, now that you have mentioned, I think the indexing is being done as a cron job here.

59 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

There are more posts being made by the minute than being indexed by the hour. :lmao:

This can really happen if indexing goes manually, but the posting goes by copy-paste method, as usually.

Young indexers should be employed. And as possible more. It may help.

11 hours ago, DKT27 said:

I tried to fix it. But does not work.

Here is a thing. The editor IPB uses, introduced a new thing in it. This thing, which is an addon to the editor, changes the right click menu when right clicking in the editor. The problem happens when the button - Paste as Plain Text - now depends on that addon and does not work without it. Now, as that addon completely changes how one right clicks in the editor here and also introduces it's own problems, I do not think we should install that here.

So, sadly, it's not possible to fix this button and that is why I have removed it.

@sanjoa: Twitter integration fixed. Please check it and see if it's working properly here. If you are somehow not able to login here after using Twitter or are not able to post after login through it, please log out and leave us a guest message in the Site / Forum Feedback forums.

I have also tried to fix Tapatalk, please check if it works there.

@DKT27 Twitter integration working fine but no showing picture. Tapatalk working fine now.

image.png

And I have a strange bug, page not loading when going backwards to the previous page. I have to reload it. The same happens when I try to go forwards to the last page. Using FF 53.0.3 (64 bits).

On יום שישי 01 ספטמבר 2017 at 2:55 AM, DKT27 said:

Please give me the exact browser details as I cannot reproduce the issues here. It's likely some browser extension might be doing so.

As promised I returned to report about the reported problems.

Spoiler

I was more focused on the browser crash while trying to use the emoji- reacts.

Unfortunately I could not locate the source of the problem. I've tried different ways to reduce options by eliminating various plugins, deleting cache, etc. In all attempts after several times I used the emoji- reacts, the browser crashed.

In my understanding, this is probably an accumulation of load on the performance that causes the crash, the more open tabs are when you click on the emoji, the fewer the possible times until the crash. Sometimes you can get up to 6 or 7 responses, but times it will at the first attempt, especially if it is immediately after the browser launch or after prolonged use. It may be indirectly and at the same time influenced by plugins like ad blocker and flash.

For the rest of the reported issues as the search results and the users activities history, no notable changes were detected. They still not show any older results that are dated before the forum update.

2 hours ago, Undertaker said:
4 hours ago, dcs18 said:

After some more enhancements:—

The alphabetical profile picture is still missing from last time.

Those have been blocked, by design. ;)

1 hour ago, Undertaker said:
11 hours ago, dcs18 said:

I understand that. But I think it looks nice.

I chose speed over looks.

• Administrator
On 9/14/2017 at 3:09 PM, knowledge said:

when i login it take me to this page

I wonder if it's proxy related. The proxy you guys use. I have tried again and again but cannot reproduce the issue.

On 9/14/2017 at 10:21 PM, sanjoa said:

@DKT27 Twitter integration working fine but no showing picture. Tapatalk working fine now.

image.png

And I have a strange bug, page not loading when going backwards to the previous page. I have to reload it. The same happens when I try to go forwards to the last page. Using FF 53.0.3 (64 bits).

Thanks for the information.

Is the picture same in the default theme or just the Dark theme. As I said, Dark theme is broken and will need to be replaced by another theme - I may make one provided that Lite gives a go-ahead for it - some changes need to be made by him before a new theme can be made.

Previous page loading issue, indeed, I noticed it. I believe it was the same in the previous upgrade, I wonder how shought fixed it. I have tried looking into it but not able to fix it.

On 9/15/2017 at 6:59 AM, m345 said:

As promised I returned to report about the reported problems.

Reveal hidden contents

I was more focused on the browser crash while trying to use the emoji- reacts.

Unfortunately I could not locate the source of the problem. I've tried different ways to reduce options by eliminating various plugins, deleting cache, etc. In all attempts after several times I used the emoji- reacts, the browser crashed.

In my understanding, this is probably an accumulation of load on the performance that causes the crash, the more open tabs are when you click on the emoji, the fewer the possible times until the crash. Sometimes you can get up to 6 or 7 responses, but times it will at the first attempt, especially if it is immediately after the browser launch or after prolonged use. It may be indirectly and at the same time influenced by plugins like ad blocker and flash.

For the rest of the reported issues as the search results and the users activities history, no notable changes were detected. They still not show any older results that are dated before the forum update.

Thanks for the information. I wonder if it's browser version you are using. I mean, yes, the images that are being used in reactions are pretty common standard from decades, but the forum itself is made with newer browser versions in consideration and can also be heavy on browser versions which are not optimized to take the load of the forums as efficiently as the newer version of the browsers are.

How about doing this. Try a different browser, or, backup / move your Firefox profile and download an run a portable version of Firefox on your computer and see. Make sure you move the backup version back as the newer Firefox profiles are not backwards compatible I think.

3 hours ago, Undertaker said:
12 hours ago, dcs18 said:

I understand that. But I think it looks nice.

FWIW, the new forums software now generates avatars based not only on alphabets but also on numerical — have made provision for these to be blocked, too. :P

12 hours ago, DKT27 said:

Thanks for the information.

Is the picture same in the default theme or just the Dark theme. As I said, Dark theme is broken and will need to be replaced by another theme - I may make one provided that Lite gives a go-ahead for it - some changes need to be made by him before a new theme can be made.

Previous page loading issue, indeed, I noticed it. I believe it was the same in the previous upgrade, I wonder how shought fixed it. I have tried looking into it but not able to fix it.

@DKT27 Issue with picture also happens with default theme.

• Administrator
On 9/17/2017 at 0:50 AM, sanjoa said:

@DKT27 Issue with picture also happens with default theme.

I have made some changes. Please clear your cache, logout, login and try again here.

@vissha: It will be preferable if you post about forum issues in forums, as it's easier to deal and discuss them on forums - RSU is not so flexible. About the Dark Blue theme, yes, all the themes from previous version are broken from behind the scenes and need to be made from the start, including the Dark and the Dark Blue theme - the Dark theme is allowed for now but will be removed soon. The Dark Blue theme was made just as an experiment. But as members have liked it I will look into it. For it to be made available though, it needs to be made from the start, which is very hard and time consuming, but it's worth looking into. But, for that, I need Lite's go ahead as mentioned in the above post here.

Archived