Jump to content

Pokémon Go fans enraged...


Recommended Posts

Pokémon Go fans enraged...    :lol:

as first festival ends in connectivity disaster


Developer booed on stage as gamers left unable to connect to play popular augmented reality game after mobile networks and servers overloaded


The first ever, official Pokémon Go Fest collapsed into chaos on Saturday, after attendees who had queued for hours for the chance to catch Legendary Pokémon Lugia found the game almost unplayable due to overloaded mobile phone networks.


Developer Niantic has apologised to fans, offering a full refund on the $20 ticket, $100 worth of in-game Pokécoins, and giving a Lugia to all registered attendees, but the event still casts a shadow over what was supposed to be a very public celebration of the game’s first anniversary.


Taking place in Chicago’s Grant Park, Pokémon Go Fest featured real-world amenities like photo opportunities with Pokémon and talks from Niantic employees.

But the big draw was supposed to be in the virtual world: challenges for the three Pokémon Go teams – Valor, Mystic and Instinct – a medal for visitors and a plethora of rare Pokémon in the area, in addition to the chance to be among the first in the world to capture the first of the new legendary Pokémon to come to the game called Lugia.


But trouble started almost immediately. From 6am on the day – four hours before the event was due to start – players were complaining they were unable to log in, as the concentration of high-bandwidth connections swamped, then collapsed, mobile networks in the area.


By 2pm, Niantic had acknowledged the issue, though not in time to prevent its chief executive being booed as he took to the stage, to chants from the audience of “we can’t play!”




Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 0
  • Views 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...