Q: Wait for a usb-c port laptop

alzz

• Replies 14
  • Views 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless you want one of those ultra-thin ULTRABOOKS, Type C is not that popular yet.. mostly phones and tablets.. Most of your peripherals might be need to USB Type A slots.. Ao You would need to buy adapters for those.

knowledge-Spammer

i am not best with how to spend money maybe best see if smarter people comment on whats best for u

On 22/06/2017 at 2:27 PM, alzz said:

Should I wait to buy a midrange (i5) laptop for including usb c ports? If yes how soon would that be.

Can you suggest a brand?

Also i3 models have on board parts only. Correct?

@Karlston @DKT27 @knowledge :)

I don't know when the mid-range i5's with type-c ports will arrive. Your guess is as good as mine. My guess is that you will begin to see type-c ports on mid-range laptops next year (2018). All the laptops I saw on amazon with type-c ports are priced at +1000 euro. The real question is this, 1) how much are you willing/able to spend? 2) How soon do you need your laptop? If you are unwilling/unable to pay +1000 euro, and you need your laptop asap, then I wouldn't wait. As teodz1984 said, type-C is not yet popular enough or in high demand enough to become standard hardware. Another factor is that most of your external hardware (e.g. scanner, printer, usb, etc.) will be using type-A usb. 

• Administrator
On 22/6/2017 at 5:57 PM, alzz said:

Should I wait to buy a midrange (i5) laptop for including usb c ports? If yes how soon would that be.

Can you suggest a brand?

Also i3 models have on board parts only. Correct?

I agree with others. Not many laptops with the latest USB ports you can find. Might take some more time to come, maybe even a year as mentioned above, that too, just one port per laptop.

I recommend Dell and ASUS, some other brands are cheaper, but either have quality or have had security issues. I cannot find a proper Dell laptop with the above mentioned port here.

I did not get the i3 question there.

6 hours ago, DKT27 said:

recommend Dell and ASUS, some other brands are cheaper, but either have quality or have had security issues. I cannot find a proper Dell laptop with the above mentioned port here.

I recommend Dell Laptops but I would never recommend buying an i3 processor regardless of brand.  USB C may be the new kid on the block but how many devices are made for it and do you really need it.  Even my newest systems with USB C ports aren't getting any use since USB 3 is the standard that the majority of devices come with.  Manufacturers aren't going to do away with USB 3 or even USB 2 ports when there are so many devices around that use them today.  That would be a sure way of killing your business. I am sure that there will be a flurry of adapters to adapt USB 3/3.1 Type A to USB C and vice versa.  It always takes a few years for a new port to become popular as new devices need to be made but more importantly, consumers and businesses need to upgrade their current devices and they aren't willing to do that from an economic point of view until they have to do so.  So the introduction of those devices is slow the first several years.

• Administrator
18 hours ago, straycat19 said:

I recommend Dell Laptops but I would never recommend buying an i3 processor regardless of brand.  USB C may be the new kid on the block but how many devices are made for it and do you really need it.  Even my newest systems with USB C ports aren't getting any use since USB 3 is the standard that the majority of devices come with.  Manufacturers aren't going to do away with USB 3 or even USB 2 ports when there are so many devices around that use them today.  That would be a sure way of killing your business. I am sure that there will be a flurry of adapters to adapt USB 3/3.1 Type A to USB C and vice versa.  It always takes a few years for a new port to become popular as new devices need to be made but more importantly, consumers and businesses need to upgrade their current devices and they aren't willing to do that from an economic point of view until they have to do so.  So the introduction of those devices is slow the first several years.

Good point. I'm wondering if device makers might make dual port ones.

About i3, why do you think so. I myself have an i3 based laptop which runs quite well from a long time here.

@straycat19Usb C is a port shape with higher wattage output than usb A, for new functionality. Usb2/3 is version of the usb standard.

@DKT27 I think wiping lenovo hdd should take care of complementary malware, right? .

Clarification to last question: In numerous instances i3 processors have ram/processors soldered to motherboard. Also, is i3 fit for 6+ years of use?

99% of 2018 phones will have usb-c.

12 minutes ago, alzz said:

Also, is i3 fit for 6+ years of use?

The average lifespan for laptops is roughly 5 years, but if you take good care of it, you might get as many as 10 years out of the laptop.

On 6/22/2017 at 7:27 PM, alzz said:

Can you suggest a brand?

Also i3 models have solded ram/processor only. Correct?

try gigabyte sabre 15. it's i7, and with gtx1050, but it's less than us$1000, has ips panel and full connectivity (including usb-c)

i still dont understand the i3 question. what do you mean by solded? Soldered? Or sold? :D

• Administrator
16 hours ago, alzz said:

@straycat19Usb C is a port shape with higher wattage output than usb A, for new functionality. Usb2/3 is version of the usb standard.

@DKT27 I think wiping lenovo hdd should take care of complementary malware, right? .

Clarification to last question: In numerous instances i3 processors have ram/processors soldered to motherboard. Also, is i3 fit for 6+ years of use?

99% of 2018 phones will have usb-c.

I see. Still, how much watt is required for a USB drive, either pen drive or HDD. If one needs more than that then it would be limited by the watt allowed by the adapter of the laptops.

While reinstalling software should take care of it, I have found their laptops to be made of cheap material, not lasting as others and who knows, they may be having hardware based badware. Again, this my very personal opinion and not here to offend anyone. I must also mention that, relatively speaking, others have far more experience in laptops than I do.

I see. I was not aware about that.

Laptops are not known to last too long. Go for a newer generation processors, which are cooler, avoid any graphics card based laptop which increases the heat, buy good company laptops - avoid the ones which start with H or L, maintain the laptop well and then it will last for long. I think i3 processors are quite good for laptops depending on your usage - if documents is all you deal with then it's going to be quite fine.

Maybe. But there will be USB adapters to convert USB-C to USB-A type. If you ask me, it's never a good idea to charge the mobile from laptop - because it effects the laptops battery in longer run, if that is what you are looking for and as for transferring files, I for one find transferring via WiFi, even though far slower than USB, is more accessible than connecting it to USB. Also, as mentioned above, USB-C is a new thing, it might take years for it to become a standard on laptops and such, even if it comes earlier on mobile.

Still, if you think you should wait then nothing wrong in doing so.

I wouldn't go for the newest tech or even plan for something that is yet to come due to compatibility issues. you might wanna take a look at Thunderbolt 3 with 4 times faster transfer speed than USB-C. Thunderbolt 1 has equal speed as USB-C and it's been around for a couple of years now. there are PCI-E cards to add it to a PC motherboard.

if you want it in laptops, Alienware and Dell got some laptops with built in thunderbolt 3 ports.

Archived