NOD32 Hangs Vista

scottbidsay

Ok, I figured I'd start a new topic since it felt like I was hijacking the "Which antivirus do you use?" topic.

I have a Dell XPS 16 Laptop that came with McAfee Security Suite. I removed that, and installed NOD32 AV v4.0.437 with the nodlogin 9.9c with no problems. That same night after I installed NOD32 AV, my system hung after it was idle and no one touched it. It was a black screen and I had to shut it down hard. I read up on some ESET KB articles and found some full un-installers for other AV programs. I ran that for the McAfee Suite I had and it removed things just fine.

Long story short, no matter what I've done (disabled heuristics and advanced heuristics) my laptop still hangs randomly. I love NOD32 and want to continue using it but I can't if it keeps hanging/freezing my system. I have Vista Home Premium SP2 64-bit.

Any additional advice would be appreciated!

• Replies 17
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you try the XML file I posted in the other topic?

I think the pause in operation your getting is because it is scanning every file that is being shown, every link or shortcut you view.. everything that graces Explorer.exe, and each download you do will all be scanned.. there are a few spots were it will take longer than usual. Defragging my drive with an alternative program like Ultimate Defrag helped me, and I also had disabled the shadow copy service.. forget which one it is to be exact..I had also cleaned my registry with Yamicsoft, and defragged it too.. and the interruptions were minimal after that, still there.. this was on a PC made in 2001, with 512MB RAM and a AMD Athlon 1.6 GHz processor...and a 32MB video card.. and it ran fine, smoother after I took it offline...and removed ESET.. I put Avira on it for basic protection from media.. but thats it..its 32 Bit too.. but similar...seemingly in the issue.. but ultimately optimizing the rest of the PC helped..and working around the defrag thing.. Vista will also defrag in the background too..

I did, and I did my best to match the AV specific settings since your XML file was for ESS. It still hung my Vista system...

Are you randomly loosing Internet connection?

If not I would recommend running a scan with SpyBot Search and Destroy.. make sure you don't have any extra crap in your registry settings...malicious ones..

I run on Wireless-N but I don't get random loss of connectivity. Are you also running Vista as well? I never had this issue on my XP Pro systems, even with NOD32 v4.

I'll try out S&D, but i've hardly used this system yet but I still can't rule it out.

I am currently running XP SP3, on a different system, this was an install for my parents, Vista Ultimate SP2..

The reason I asked about the random loss in connectivity was because sometimes IDS can interact with your DNS negatively.. and in some cases when it detects what it thinks is an attack ESET will act like its locking up while the driver disconnects..you have to restart or play with the connection until decides its okay again.

SpyBot will look for any malicious entries that may have been made, and erase them..You can also jut run through the whole program and use its tools to take acre of any other problems.. A registry cleaner would probably be better for thoroughly cleaning any other invalid entries that may be left behind from previous installs, that my be causing the system to keep trying to find or process a file that is not there..similar to when you clean a trojan/bad file out but the registry entry is still there...

Its the only thing I know to try ..since I failed you the first time..LOL

Add the full C:\Program Files to exclusions to see if solves your problem.

With the latest nod I was also having these hangs on certain apps (but only when trying to run) I exluded the whole folder instead of 1 app each time (and it stoped the hangs)

• Administrator

Now I think it must be the nodlogin. Did you tried reinstallin it?

I don't know if it's maybe something with the 64-bit version of NOD32. Remove or disable other things that could cause conflicts. Normally Windows Defender causes no compatibility issues but you can try disabling it for diagnostic purposes.

Yeah I think I have used Windows Defender like once..I am not even sure how I removed/stopped it.. but I always just update it to shut it up, and when I am done, its gone.. well not running.. and ESS comfortably takes care of the rest..

@Leet I was thinking that too about 64 Bit..don't know why but I was..

Yeah I think I have used Windows Defender like once..I am not even sure how I removed/stopped it.. but I always just update it to shut it up, and when I am done, its gone.. well not running.. and ESS comfortably takes care of the rest..

@Leet I was thinking that too about 64 Bit..don't know why but I was..

If you didn't actively turn it off then it is still running in the background, only the icon does not appear until it has something to notify you about. I'm not sure about the exact steps but basically you have to open the settings for it from control panel then uncheck the boxes to stop it from real-time protection which should disable it. As an extra step you can go into Services and set the Windows Defender service to disabled.

Maybe ESS is the problem, Windows firewall does a good enough and even if it dosen't many of us here will say that ESS firewall does an even worse job :D . You should remove ESS completely and just use EAV. If you want another firewall then some better options are Online Armour or Comodo. It should be noted that NOD32 Advanced Heuristics engine provides HIPS behavioural protection (or atleast so says ESET, I can't discredit it without evidence).

Well what I meant was when I first install the system, I update the thing to get it to shut up and leave me alone..Then during my final steps of wrapping up program installation and doing optimizing, services and so on.. making sure I don't create compatibility issues.. I remove it...I just don't remember what I do exactly because it has been a while since I setup a system.. I maintain several systems.. but re-insyalls and such aren't that often.. LOL.. Hopefully not at all after the first time..LOL

EDIT: Oh and I am the one using ESS, not the guy that is asking for help with this. He actually is using just EAV... ;) Yes I am stubborn..but the firewall suits me, it does what I want it to do, and I don't really trust the Comodo Test for accuracy... Plus my DNS helps with a large number of issues as well...which is great because I don't like having extra services running in my system. Plus I know the firewall works...it has saved me several times..and I have excellent control over it, which is something I do find lacking in several other programs...I think there is more than one way to address what everyone calls 'LEAKS' too.. I think goes a little farther than just a good firewall... I honestly feel that enlightenment on several of these perceptions would be nice but by someone thoroughly qualified in the area. ( NOT saying anyone here isn't ) but you get what I mean..Plus you start pissing me off playing with my connection, inject a server I have visited.. there will be repercussions.. I don't care where your at, how many proxies your behind..There is a balance out there..

• Administrator

Once I installed Windows Defender on my non genuine XP and non genuine keys. Don't ask how. It was great. Somehow I felt it was havin somethin similar to HIPS. But it took a lot of my PC. So removed it easily. Search google.

So I have NOD32 AV installed again and I have added the C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) to the exclusion list. So far not a single hang today. I'll post more update and I enable more and more...

So I have NOD32 AV installed again and I have added the C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) to the exclusion list. So far not a single hang today. I'll post more update and I enable more and more...

I told ya, The 4.0 version of nod seems to hang for unknownd reasons on any application.

its a risk excluding the full folder but its either that or change anti virus.

I only had this on ess, ive now changed to EAV not had a hang yet.

Archived