ShAaNiG Permanently Shuts Down

attacker

https://www.shaanig.org/

In the wake of successes by other commodity 'brand' groups such as aXXo and YIFY, popular release group ShAaNiG carved out an enthusiastic following among public BitTorrent and file-host users. But after thousands of releases the ride is now over, with the group's website and operations closed down for good.

shaanig.jpgWhile there are dozens of torrent release groups in operation today, some providing extremely high quality work, every few years a notable ‘brand’ group appears.

Two of the most famous from recent memory were aXXo and YIFY. Neither were known for historic individual releases or world-beating quality, but both were particularly consistent. An aXXo or YIFY label on an official torrent assured the potential downloader they would be getting a ‘McDonalds-quality’ product; never haute cuisine but just enough taste and in enough volume to fill people up.

As a result, these groups gained millions of followers, something that put anti-piracy targets on their backs. No surprise then that neither are around today, with YIFY subjected to legal action in New Zealand and aXXo….well, no one seems to know.

With those groups gone, there was a gap in the market for a similar product. Popular releases delivered to the masses in small file sizes is clearly a recipe for success and an existing group called ShAaNiG decided to step in to take up some of the slack.

What followed was thousands of ShAaNiG movie and TV show releases, which were uploaded to The Pirate Bay and direct download sites. They also took pride of place on the group’s forum at Shaanig.org, where they were neatly organized into relevant categories.

ShAaNiG’s release forumshaanig1.png

But like aXXO and YIFY before it, something went wrong at ShAaNiG. After publishing a couple of releases on Saturday, including a Blu-ray rip of the movie Jawbone and an episode of TV show Outcast, ShAaNiG unexpectedly threw in the towel. A notice on the group’s homepage gives no reason for the sudden shutdown but makes it clear that ShAaNiG won’t be coming back.

“ShAaNiG has shut down permanently,” it reads. “Every journey must come to an end, This is the end of our journey. Thank you for all your support.”

While there are only so many ways to say that a site has been shut down for good, the first sentence is identical to the one used by ExtraTorrent when it closed down last month.

Another potentially interesting similarity is that both ExtraTorrent and ShAaNiG had huge followings in India, with both sites indexing a lot of local content, especially movies.

More than 30% of ShAaNiG’s traffic came from India, with much of it driven from The Pirate Bay where more than a thousand releases live on today. When ExtraTorrent shut down, around 40% of the new traffic arriving at another popular platform came from India.

Whether the Indian connection is pure coincidence remains to be seen, but it seems possible if not likely that some kind of legal pressure played a part in the demise of both. However, if the situation plays out in the same manner, we’ll hear no more and like ExtraTorrent, ShAaNiG will simply fade away.

While that will come as a huge disappointment to ShAaNiG fans, other file-sharers are likely to have less sympathy. Like aXXo and YIFY before it, ShAaNiG was rarely (if ever) the source of the material it released, instead preferring to re-encode existing releases. For some pirates, that’s a red line that should never be crossed.

Whether a new group will rise phoenix-like from the ashes will remain to be seen but as these ‘brand’ groups have established time and again, there’s always a market for passable quality movie releases, if they come in a compact file-size.

Article Source: https://torrentfreak.com/popular-release-group-shaanig-permanently-shuts-down-170612/

• Replies 21
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First aXXo then Yify then Extratorrent and now my favourite Shaanig.......... all gone :(

It looks like soon the Public sites and the Public torrent community will become extinct....Only TPB is holding the fort !!

write2vivek86

totally heart moving...one by one all good sites are shutting down. 

i did wonder what happened to aXXo

Source Wikipedia 

aXXo first appeared in November 2005 on the message board "Darkside_RG".[4]

In November 2007, aXXo deleted all of his files released after September 7, 2006 from The Pirate Bay protesting that the site was allowing harassing comments to be added to his torrents by "possible members of MPAA". While past aXXo torrents remained available on other torrent sites, uploads of new aXXo files stopped on November 11, 2007.[1][2] After an absence of four months aXXo returned to uploading, starting with the movie I Am Legend on March 9, 2008.[1][5][6]

On December 15, 2008, aXXo's thousandth movie upload, a copy of the Kiefer Sutherland horror film Mirrors, appeared on an Internet forum for the Darkside Release Group.[7]

On March 11, 2009, aXXo stopped uploading new files after releasing Punisher: War Zone. For a while he logged into Mininova until the site switched to only hosting torrents that were Content Distribution free or torrents with no copyrights.[8]

On April 19, 2009 aXXo made his last known comment on message board "Darkside_RG", in response to rumors that he had stopped posting on Darkside_RG. He states: "I can only say a big thank you for your appreciation mates, hope you all enjoy the darkside as much as you can My home is my beloved Darkside and as I've said so many times before on each of my torrents.... Be aware of bogus sites and lamers See ya."[9]

Don't worry maybe the .ag group will hijack ShAanig as well and make a ShAanig.ag site version of their own, just like it did on yify (yts.ag) and eztv (eztv.ag) when they shutdown. hehehe! :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, MaRk15 said:

You may try 300mbfilms.co

it's updated everyday.

There's also 300mbunited.me but I liked ShAaNiG's encodes better. :(

edit: there's also  psarips.com but they only do x265 encodes.

41 minutes ago, shamu726 said:

There's also 300mbunited.me but I liked ShAaNiG's encodes better. :(

edit: there's also  psarips.com but they only do x265 encodes.

It's nice site. But it needs uploaded and RG premium account to download the file.

Yep its always a sad day when one of the good ones go :(

jayesh30202
54 minutes ago, Ice Frog said:

hon3yhd  also not working

working perfectly here.

Screenshot_1.png

Archived