[Help] Microsoft VIsual C ++ Runtime Error

Alanon

As the title sais, I need some help.

Some time ago, I updated my PC, got the Windows 1703 on it... and now my old software won't work. The program in question is the Oxford Classical Dictionary, released back in 2000. I just started a translation job concerning Late antiquity, and it would come in handy. If only it worked.

I have an iso, installed and mounted via Alcohol, etc. Whenever I try to open it, I get the error from the title, with the addition abnormal program termination. Nothing else. No code, no event, nothing. I tried reinstalling, using every conceivable compatibility mode, admin rights, DPI settings, even Microsoft's troubleshooter (I know, I know, I was desperate...) I also used the Microsoft Visual AIO Installer from the Nsane thread hoping that, since it was a C++ error, that might fix it... I even managed to download an obscure portable repack of the program, claiming to work with no disc emulation, and reported working on Windows 7 x64. 

I got the thing to run with no iso, but with the exact same error, which leads me to believe that the issue might be on my end. To that end, I also tried to go the software company route, and see if this "Versabook" wrapper they have might budge. However, support for this thing is long gone, there are no worthy electronic replacements, and I'm stumped. Googling was of no help since all it produced were a bunch of instructions on how to reinstall various software. This is a new machine with not a lot of crap on it, I shouldn't be having issues already, but it is possible I'm missing some dependency.

So I am hoping that someone will be able to nudge me in the right direction. What causes this? Is there a log or diagnostic somewhere that I can run to narrow down the particular issue? Do you perhaps know of a working solution to this error that isn't on Google? (Aside from a VM with XP loaded, that is.) I've included a link for the portable version, if anyone has the desire to try it out, or if it might be of use in solving the puzzle.

Many thanks to all who read the entire post! And much more in advance to all those with an idea or two to share.

Site: http://www104.zippyshare.com
Sharecode[?]: /v/4YoH5O23/file.html

• Replies 10
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comment! As I've said, I used the All-in-One installer, I have every C++ redistributable package imaginable. I tried this one as well, no dice...

52 minutes ago, Alanon said:

I tried reinstalling, using every conceivable compatibility mode, admin rights, DPI settings, even Microsoft's troubleshooter

But nothing helped. :sadwalk:

Then consider this app incompatible with WIndows 10..

move on

or just go with A VM old OS that it last worked on

or just buy the book...

Have you tried this? uninstalling the dictionary and C++ redistributable completely. Then install only the dictionary which will install the C++ redistributable version during installation. I've tried this workaround some time ago for similar trouble with another s/w and it worked.

Just tried installing it locally, no go. It seems that the software doesn't include any install of the Visual C.  I do have Net Framework 1.1 which as I understand it, came bundled with C++ 2003, so I have them all from 2003-2017 installed. I also have net from 1.1 to 4.7 on the machine. All in all, that ought to have provided a solid prerequisite base for any old software, which it mostly does. I don't really know if there were C++ bundles prior to 2003?

I do realise this is an old software, but I don't have a lot of options. Sadly, postal expenses where I live would far exceed the benefit of buying it, libraries are of course not an option, and that also includes Oxford's latest "subscription" model. It's not like I hate books, I study literature so books are pretty much my business. However, such compendiums are far easier to navigate and use as actual reference tools in an electronic format. That's the whole reason they were invented. I'll rarely when open the OED to simply peruse its 20 volumes, it's but when and if I need to find something. 

Hint A lot of thse oxford referrence stuff is available for the android (offline data)

There  are also lots of newer apps like WORDWEB for the PC that get the job done.

Lastly there are EBOOKS  of dictionaries out there

• 3 months later...

Do not use these types of packages with versions of that program, each program you install uses a different version or even old

uninstall everything and install the programs that use c +++ with comes in the own setup file so that the correct versions are installed for the applications

this is an error that happens for example with corel draw it uses a different version of these packages then in the middle of the installation in the installer and gives an installation error because there is a c +++ version installed on your computer that is not compatible with that of the corel draw program use in his own package for example 

a lot of people tried to solve this error with several kind of tricks but the right thing is you do not use these packages and yes the version that comes with the installer of the program is the correct version you need use 

do not worry in this packages Solutions 

Archived