Windows Vista Shutdown Problem

hp owner

I have recently formatted my PC. It is very old. OS is XP SP3 and Vista Enterprise SP2 64Bit. After logging on into Vista, if I shut down my PC, my Monitor remains on and one cursor "_" blinks and I have observed it for a long time it remains the same. My PC is not shutting down properly. Then I have switch off my Power supply. But restart works perfectly and Windows XP also shut down properly.

I have tried to shutdown in Clean Boot and Safe Mode but the problem remains the same. Then I have run System File Checker, but no problem found.

• Replies 14
  • Views 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply
straycat19

Shutdown problems like this are usually associated with either malware, software, or drivers. Since you just formatted it your problem lies in either the software on the system or the drivers you are using, one or the other is not shutting down and causing the system to hang.  Unless you have the patience to go through all the drivers and software and testing to see which one is hanging the system the easiest solution is to create a shutdown shortcut on your desktop that will force all programs to close.

Just right click an open space on the desktop and select New -> Shortcut.  In the box type   %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe –f    then click next, name it shutdown.  This command forces the closure of any software that might be running. When you are ready to shutdown just click the shortcut.   If this works your problem is solved.

strikerfox

Thanks straycat19 for the Tip maybe  i can use it in the future..

7 hours ago, straycat19 said:

Shutdown problems like this are usually associated with either malware, software, or drivers. Since you just formatted it your problem lies in either the software on the system or the drivers you are using, one or the other is not shutting down and causing the system to hang.  Unless you have the patience to go through all the drivers and software and testing to see which one is hanging the system the easiest solution is to create a shutdown shortcut on your desktop that will force all programs to close.

Just right click an open space on the desktop and select New -> Shortcut.  In the box type   %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe –f    then click next, name it shutdown.  This command forces the closure of any software that might be running. When you are ready to shutdown just click the shortcut.   If this works your problem is solved.

Your solution is not working.

My Windows Vista shuts down but monitor as well as motherboard does not get power off. One "_" cursor blinks on the monitor and all fans of CPU boxes run.

I4rg£8all8ag

Please can you tell us your Full computer setup, makes things easier for us. 

1 hour ago, I4rg£8all8ag said:

Please can you tell us your Full computer setup, makes things easier for us. 

Motherboard - ASUS P8P67 BIOS Version 3602

RAM - 1333 MHz Zion DDR3

HDD - Seagate ST2000DM006-2DM164

Processor - Core i5 2310 Quad Core 2.90GHz

DVD Writer - ASUS DRW-24D5MT

Keyboard- HP PS2

Mouse - HP USB

Monitor - ASUS VG284QE

Graphics Card - ASUS GTX 650Ti

Sound Card - Creative X-Fi

The condition is the same before and after all drivers installation.

No problem on restart. I have already done CLRRTC.

straycat19
5 hours ago, hp owner said:

Your solution is not working.

There were reports of problems in Vista with the Power Settings in Control Panel.  Sometimes changing from Balanced to Performance fixed the problem on some PCs.  Below is another solution that I had listed in my tech notes.

Control Panel -> Power Settings. Click “Change plan settings” below the preferred plans you select. Click “Change advanced power settings”. Expand “Power buttons and lid”. Double-click “Power button action” and choose Shut down. Double-click “Start menu power button” and choose Shut down.

14 hours ago, bruinator said:

Update to win 8 or 10....vista...jesus.

No online MAK is available at present and waiting for that.

5 minutes ago, hp owner said:

No online MAK is available at present and waiting for that.

check this out:

2 hours ago, BioHazard said:

check this out:

Actually I am waiting for Windows 10 Enterprise online MAK and it is no available.

21 hours ago, straycat19 said:

There were reports of problems in Vista with the Power Settings in Control Panel.  Sometimes changing from Balanced to Performance fixed the problem on some PCs.  Below is another solution that I had listed in my tech notes.

Control Panel -> Power Settings. Click “Change plan settings” below the preferred plans you select. Click “Change advanced power settings”. Expand “Power buttons and lid”. Double-click “Power button action” and choose Shut down. Double-click “Start menu power button” and choose Shut down.

This solution is not working also.

35 minutes ago, hp owner said:

Actually I am waiting for Windows 10 Enterprise online MAK and it is no available.

I'm waiting for it too and enterprise2016 ltsb

I got education and pro digital license:)

I am using this pc for last 5/6 years. I generally format it after 3/4 months. I have never faced this problem. I need a solution.

Archived