Torrent Sites See Traffic Boost After ExtraTorrent Shutdown

vissha

Torrent Sites See Traffic Boost After ExtraTorrent Shutdown

surge-feat.jpg

ExtraTorrent's unexpected shutdown last week came as a shock to its users, who suddenly had to find a new home. Most users flocked to other popular sites, including The Pirate Bay, which suffered from "gateway errors" in response. Meanwhile, many copycats and mirrors are also trying to get a piece of the cake.

boatssail.jpg

When ExtraTorrent shut down last week, millions of people were left without their favorite spot to snatch torrents.

This meant that after the demise of KickassTorrents and Torrentz last summer, another major exodus commenced.

The search for alternative torrent sites is nicely illustrated by Google Trends. Immediately after ExtraTorrent shut down, worldwide searches for “torrent sites” shot through the roof, as seen below.

“Torrent sites” searches (30 days)

googletorrentsiteet.png

As is often the case, most users spread across sites that are already well-known to the file-sharing public.

TorrentFreak spoke to several people connected to top torrent sites who all confirmed that they had witnessed a significant visitor boost over the past week and a half. As the largest torrent site around, many see The Pirate Bay as the prime alternative.

And indeed, a TPB staffer confirms that they have seen a big wave of new visitors coming in, to the extent that it was causing “gateway errors,” making the site temporarily unreachable.

Thus far the new visitors remain rather passive though. The Pirate Bay hasn’t seen a large uptick in registrations and participation in the forum remains normal as well.

“Registrations haven’t suddenly increased or anything like that, and visitor numbers to the forum are about the same as usual,” TPB staff member Spud17 informs TorrentFreak.

Another popular torrent site, which prefers not to be named, reported a surge in traffic too. For a few days in a row, this site handled 100,000 extra unique visitors. A serious number, but the operator estimates that he only received about ten percent of ET’s total traffic.

More than 40% of these new visitors come from India, where ExtraTorrent was relatively popular. The site operator further notes that about two thirds have an adblocker, adding that this makes the new traffic pretty much useless, for those who are looking to make money.

That brings us to the last category of site owners, the opportunist copycats, who are actively trying to pull estranged ExtraTorrent visitors on board.

Earlier this week we wrote about the attempts of ExtraTorrent.cd, which falsely claims to have a copy of the ET database, to lure users. In reality, however, it’s nothing more than a Pirate Bay mirror with an ExtraTorrent skin.

And then there are the copycats over at ExtraTorrent.ag. These promoted by and linked to the same people who successfully hijacked EZTV and YIFY/YTS brands earlier. With ExtraTorrent.ag they now hope to expand their portfolio, it seems.

EZTV.ag promoting YTS and ET copies

ezag.png

xpected, but pretty bold, particularly considering the fact that ExtraTorrent operator SaM specifically warned people not to fall for these fakes and clones.

With millions of people moving to new sites, it’s safe to say that the torrent ‘community’ is in turmoil once again, trying to find a new status quo. But this probably won’t last for very long.

While some of the die-hard ExtraTorrent fans will continue to mourn the loss of their home, history has told is that in general, the torrent community is quick to adapt. Until the next site goes down…

Source

• Replies 5
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Knightmare

I've only ever used TPB. Navigating the other sites was a little difficult for me, and some of them didn't have what I was looking for most of the time. TPB is easy to navigate AND has a lot of games, programs, movies, etc.

chlorophyll
20 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

I've only ever used TPB. Navigating the other sites was a little difficult for me, and some of them didn't have what I was looking for most of the time. TPB is easy to navigate AND has a lot of games, programs, movies, etc.

whtas the present web address of TPB?

thank you

6 hours ago, Knightmare said:

Most all of them have the same stuff  just do a search at torrentz2 or other p2p search engines very much proves this   and  i can get it off a filehost just as easy a lot stuff  I can't even find over at p2p in the quality i like .

All of it is a money racket, release blogs and streaming sites makes millions in ad revue as well  , ET done got very rich and took the money and ran now the others are bringing in money left and right.One mans lost is another mans gain.

Some call it Hydra  because one closes down and more open up  but I call it the lure of easy money..

The popularity of torrent websites and their explosive growth isn’t hidden from anybody. But, how much money torrent sites make? A 2014 study claims that top torrent websites earn as much as $4.4 million in ad revenue. On the other hand, a legal filing in KickassTorrents fiasco estimated the site’s annual ad revenue in the range of $12.5 million to $22.3 million.

https://fossbytes.com/how-much-money-torrent-site-make-pirate-bay-kickass/

Don't fall for that crap P2P is dying as long as they can still get a domain and server the lure of millions of dollars a year will prevail . And as many copycat sites that show up every time one closes it seems pretty easy to get a new domain to try too earn off ad traffic. :P 

1 minute ago, 0bin said:

Almost everyone of them will try canvas or script, or other things.

They usually copy content from forum like this, or this forum copy from there, it depends, with experience you recognize who create content and who copy, there is an evident thumbprint in who copy and who create that differ.

I use to upload to forums  back when filehost was more popular than p2p  and it's getting that way again the cloud  has took over no one much want's to bother with getting watched when you can stream or dl it from the cloud this is why there has only been like 3 new public p2p sites open this year . I never give out tracker names though because I find stuff on my own. But every time a big private tracker close down 2 or 3 new ones open up from one . And new streaming sites open everyday lol.

Archived