Problem with a CD/DVD player/recorder

sanjoa

Hi! I've got a problem with my CD/DVD reading/recording drive. I have a problem, it does not read CDs or DVDs well. I must put 5 times a CD or DVD at least to make it read them. How can I solve this?

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You probably can't solve that problem. In my experience, I would say that drive is failing. You should get a new one.

Cheers ;)

You could also look for Firmware updates..these can be applied.. cleaning the drive and lens as well..Then if you haven't sorted your drivers do that, if you have them.. some have both.. so its always good to check..

Then replace if nothing else.. also be sure to check the quality/scratch of the disc your using..

EDIT: BTW..if your lens is dirty you need to open up your case even if its a laptop, and thoroughly clean everything....Lens and tray area last..but not in a way that will blow debris back in to your system..

• Administrator

Did you try a laser lens cleaner CD? It may solve your problem if the laser lens are not properly clean. It is the first step on the hardware side.

• Administrator

No no. :nono: . Don't open it like that. You may damage it. Use a laser lens cleaner CD.

It's not the first time I open a CD/DVD device. I have never damaged the laser before.

• Administrator

Even I have opened may CD/DVD drive before and even I havent damaged it but it is also unsafe for you, yes you and me to open it. Read the warnin written on the drive!

It's not the first time I open a CD/DVD device. I have never damaged the laser before.

Well.. You should clean the tray.. wiping or Q-tip.. gets all the dust out.. and use an air duster to compliment it...next you cn use a dry Q-tip or the recommended lens cleaner.. but with Q-tip you just barely wipe across the top so as to just barely depress the lens carrier..just enough to break it free and then blow the rest free with an air duster. always works instead of having to spend 20 bucks on a cleaner..

whats Q-tip?

LOL..cotton swab on a stick.. clean your ears, nose.. detail cars. women even use them for make.. and I also use mine to clean my system..careful with cotton fiber though.. make sure you don't leave any behind..

:rofl: My mother-tongue is not English.

Yeah I know.. plus I used brand recognition instead of the actual term for it.. which I don't even know to be honest..LOL

and a friend of mine's told me to clean the CD/DVD with a pencil eraser

slap your friend.. like Beavis and Butthead.. beat him down..NOW..

No Joking I would not advise this can seriously damage your lens.. very delicate..

EDIT: The most effective for me is to use the swab by turning it.. the dirt will stick to the swab and be gently lifted.. whatever else is broken loose will blow away.. you may not even be able to see anything on the swab BUT.. it will be there and usually you can see if debris is on the lens..

• Administrator

:lmao: ^^ .

Dont you think this is a "Problem with a CD/DVD player/recorder" thread? :P

Could my drive been near to death? 'Cause a PC tecnician told me that the drive is going to die in any moment.

This technician is a friend of mine's. I was thinking about formatting my PC.

Which drive? The CD/DVD or Hard Drive... Usually you don't get failing notices for CD/DVD... Un-usual..

EDIT: Reformatting your PC is going to have no effect unless it is a driver issue.. and especially not if its a firmware issue..Are you positive you have the right firmware and the most up to date?

CD/DVD. Yes, I've got the firmware up-to-date. I have every program, drive, firmware also Windows up-to-date.

Archived