Problem with Intel chipset-based graphic card

sanjoa

Hi, guys! Last night I updated my mom's PC drivers using Driver Genius 2009. When I've installed the graphic card video update, I've restarted the PC, and when it finished reiniciating, the colours were bad (640x480, 4 bits) and I couldn't change them. I thought there was a virus but I didn't find anyone. I've solved the problem reinstalling the old drivers. I want to know why did this happened?

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Driver Genius(sure) 2009 suggested a driver for you to install that was either not fully compliant with your card or just totally wrong and that's what caused the issues, I'd never trust on programs like this to install drivers for you, its better finding them yourself. I fucked up our home PC by using a program like that as well one time, it just present you with faulty drivers sometimes :(

It's the first time this happpens to me. I've never had any problem with this program.

• Administrator

Yup shought is right. Find a proper driver manually or from manufacturer's website. ;)

Yup shought is right. Find a proper driver manually or from manufacturer's website. ;)
Yes I also concur that shought is right. If you need help knowing which drivers you need then download and use cpu-z to see your chipset model number, then you can go to intel's website and download the correct latest drivers.

I agree with shought and Leet..

Driver Genius is a good program for getting the latest drivers.. BUT NOT the latest drivers for your configuration.

I have used Driver genius for this reason for a while. I use it to back p my drivers easily and to search but thats it..

What I have found with the program, and with most drivers is that over time chipsets and video chips, along with all other drivers, is that they sometimes are still used with NEXT generation systems. These chipsets, cards and such, are configured differently to work with other processors and boards, therefore the newest drivers will not be configured correctly to work with older systems. It took me awhile to sort through the drivers to find; through trial and error the most recent that worked correctly - which is now several versions behind the most recent. My system is several years old, mainly because I can't finance the system I want...It was last generation single core product, right before dual core was standard, so as you can imagine a !@#$-load of changes have occurred since..

For instance f I were to upgrade my latest Video Chip driver ... I would lose graphics resolution, and overlay capability for running video..meaning that the only thing to show up would be a dark purple screen and sound...while this driver would work wonderfully well on a Vista system or Next generation PC...VIA Hyperion Drivers also have went the same way for me..stopped at 5.17 - while the current version is 5.24. Microsoft update usually will provide the most up to date for your system that is correct.. You can get there by going to Microsoft Update in IE8, and choosing Custom then going to Optional Hardware Updates section. They are a little better at providing the correct drivers.. when you have really messed it up you may have to do this a few time.. but it gets worked out..

LOL.. I use to think it was a conspiracy to force upgrading to a new PC.. by the companies destroying what you had, saying " Oh its a pile or !@#$.. we must take option away from it so it will run with nothing..so as not to degrade performance or incompatibility or something .." But truthfully its not.. an one thing that it has taught me is why people spend extra money to get certain setups, before I make a choice for myself.. I will be doing research to find what hardware I want, and a readily manufactured system, using last generation technology will not be an option..unless its just something to kick around.. I became absolutely dissatisfied when I found out that I could not upgrade my processor, or change various things because I have a particular hardware set that was created and abandoned as quickly... So it ultimately helped me 'SEE THE LIGHT' so to speak...You have to be aware of what your buying..not just a bargain shopper...

• Administrator

The point that heath28m mentioned, it happens to ATI also. My GPU only supports the drivers till 6.11 but the new driver (Catalyst driver) is somewhere around 8.12. I asked this question in a ati drivers forum website and they strictly told me not to use the latest driver as it isn't supported by you GPU.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah its true, although Driver Genius is bloody good and i rely on it a fair bit. I do consider whether my hardware supports it before downloading and installing it is very good for backing up though.

Another example like DKT27 is another pc in this household has a Nvdia 7000 series and worked up till a recent driver but then stopped completly it wasn't doing anything but vga graphics, i put a older hdd in it and the graphics kicked in so i made a very quick backup of that driver on that HDD and it now works fine with the updats in our domain i have applied :)

Archived