Do I need anti-spyware software?

Guest Hywel

This is my current security setup:

Anti-virus: Kaspersky Personal 5

Firewall: Sygate Personal Pro

Misc: Process Guard

I used Microsoft Antispyware for 6 months and to be honest all it found was tracking cookies. Process Guard alerts me to any strange things going on in my system. I've installed Windows Defender now and it really sucks. I'm thinking of uninstalling it. As I have Process Guard, is it worth keeping a seperate anti-spyware product?

Thanks for any advice ;)

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest grandcommander

You allways need an anti-spyware prog.

Here is what i recomend: spy sweeper,spyware doctor,counter spy,trend micro anti-spyware.

You don't have to use all of them,but everybody should have spy sweeper + one more.

Spy Sweeper has very good shields so you don't have to wory very much.

Counter spy looks much like microsoft's anti-spyware but much better in everythinh else.

Spyware Doctor has very good detection ratio.

You should test them and see wich one (or two) is best for you.

You surely need an Anti-Spyware solution. Unfortunately the Anti-virus is not enough against spywares. Choose an app that suits your demand, and look for something that balances effectiveness and system resources usage. ;)

Take a look on www.firewallguide.com

There are several comparisons and trustworthy tests.

Well I've decided to scrap Windows Defender now. Process Guard should keep me safe - I have it enabled at all times and it alerts me to any mysterious apps opening or installing on my system. No spyware should get past it ;)

• Administrator
You surely need an Anti-Spyware solution. Unfortunately the Anti-virus is not enough against spywares.

Thats a very general statement and false in some cases. I know some AV's that have better spyware detection than most anti-spyware applications ;) . Give it a few months and all nearly AV's will be able to detect more spyware than "dedicated" applications.

Archived