RollBack Rx Pro 10.5 Build 2702327820

anuraag

21 hours ago, knight72 said:

then i need another program to do the backup :). problem is with backups they can fail. i had that happen before not sure what program it was but i went to use the backup i made it wouldn't work still had to wipe out my computer. 

it's also highly recommenced 

1- Do a clean install of your Windows ! (yes seems annoying but you will see why later)
2- Update Windows , all fixes, etc...
3- Clean Windows (remove Windows install files, etc...) so the system size (and so the baseline) will be reduced to the maximum.
4- Backup your system with a classic software (macrium, acronis, windows backup, etc...)
5- Install RX in custom installation, here you can choose which partitions RX will protect (i usually protect only C: ; more partitions RX protect , bigger the space it will takes).
6- At this point RX should reboot your system , create a first snapshot called "baseline". This baseline is the original OS, all that comes after it is "virtual". Never touch it unless you want to update it (only for users knowing what they do)
7- Go to RX settings and choose a new "console key" , this is important since some keyboards don't have the "classic home key" chosen by default. if you cant boot pressing this key will allow you to enter the pre-boot console of RX.

8- Now install some of your favorite softwares (those you will always use) but not security softs. I usually install 7zip, teracopy , and system tools. Then take a new snapshot, click the 2 boxes.

The 2nd box allows VSS copy so the snapshot will be taken in a safer way. (new features absent in previous version)

9- Now install all of your security softwares, since your system is supposed to be clean , you can set them to training mode.
10- Install now the rest of your liked softwares. take a snapshot.
11- Now your system is configured properly; you can do whatever tests/installs you want.

BIG RECOMMENDATIONS & FACTS

Avoid to use RX on a SSD drive, RX doesn't allow the TRIM function.

1- Dont use softwares that touch the MBR/partitions ; if you do , RX will disfunction and you may surely lose your system or even your full HDD content

2- Dont use any defragmenters (even windows one), RX do its own defragmentation since your system is "virtual" (you are inside a snapshot ); if you defragment it, the next snapshot will be huge , not saying other potential risks.

3- When Windows has an upgrade (like the 1511- November one ) , uninstall RX first (select the snapshot you deem worthy , all the others will be ignored; i always go back to the baseline), upgrade the OS, clean it , reinstall RX.

4- Beware when doing a scan with your AV, some of them detect a theat called "bootkit" or similar, ignore and exclude it , this file is RX bootloader, removing it will disable RX or worse.

5- Few backup software are able to save your system with RX snapshots. (Macrium and Image For Windows can, from what i heard, do your research first if you plan to do that)

Here the "unofficial" FAQ, worth the read:

Rollback RX™ - The “unOfishul” FAQ | Wilders Security Forums (thanks to TheRollbackFrog)

IMPORTANT EDIT for the Anniversary Update:

Disable Secureboot before installing RX, their drivers doesn't fill the requirement imposed by Microsoft

https://malwaretips.com/threads/rollback-rx-users-guidelines.53653/

i formed my own opinion of this software years ago 2007/2008  its too problematic   for me too ever use again ..Ask over at wilders security  why you shouldn't use it and many who had there own nightmares will respond .  And really this not backup software no way its meant to be a better system restore it was invented back when most still used xp and windows restore failed on XP alot  .

RX caused lots of problems for me on XP   way back then. I hardly ever have a problem with using windows restore anymore on modern windows .And  i back up anything i want too keep to other drives anyway and if  you use windows 10 there's a new version about every 8mths and i reformat it clean so things from the old install  don't botch  my new install . i have a windows 7 PC here i never ran backup software on and its never been reformatted since 2010 lol. But its not a testing machine  its only been used for production .

• Replies 30
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, steven36 said:

it's also highly recommenced 

https://malwaretips.com/threads/rollback-rx-users-guidelines.53653/

i formed my own opinion of this software years ago 2007/2008  its too problematic   for me too ever use again ..Ask over at wilders security  why you shouldn't use it and many who had there own nightmares will respond .  And really this not backup software no way its meant to be a better system restore it was invented back when most still used xp and windows restore failed on XP alot  .

RX caused lots of problems for me on XP   way back then. I hardly ever have a problem with using windows restore anymore on modern windows .And  i back up anything i want too keep to other drives anyway and if  you use windows 10 there's a new version about every 8mths and i reformat it clean so things from the old install  don't botch  my new install . i have a windows 7 PC here i never ran backup software on and its never been reformatted since 2010 lol.

think i'm going to skip it. i use windows restore i make a restore point every night when i turn off my computer. since windows 10 came out i have used windows restore only 1 or 2 times just go into safe mode and run it works no problem. i never have problems with viruses or anything like that. i have comodo internet security 10 and Adguard and admuncher and i also use Ghostery to block out the bad stuff and i stay away from bad sites. think i will check out macrium and acronis i know macrium you can use a usb drive to do a backup i would think acronis you can too. that way will give me 2 backups with 2 programs in case one fails.

5 minutes ago, knight72 said:

think i'm going to skip it. i use windows restore i make a restore point every night when i turn off my computer. since windows 10 came out i have used windows restore only 1 or 2 times just go into safe mode and run it works no problem. i never have problems with viruses or anything like that. i have comodo internet security 10 and Adguard and admuncher and i also use Ghostery to block out the bad stuff and i stay away from bad sites. think i will check out macrium and acronis i know macrium you can use a usb drive to do a backup i would think acronis you can too. that way will give me 2 backups with 2 programs in case one fails.

Most people don't  have a problem at home with virus at home if  they are careful  ..Back when i tested  RX was when i was testing a lot of software i ended  up switching  too shadow defender but this is  limited because of you cant use it on software that need reboot ..In recent  years any software i don't use I test in a VM 1st on Windows or just use a portable,

Most software. i install i have used it for years and are just updates i install and i always keep my old installers on another drive encase of bugs and other things so i can easy revert back if i have problems  .

4 hours ago, steven36 said:

Most people don't  have a problem at home with virus at home if  they are careful  ..Back when i tested  RX was when i was testing a lot of software i ended  up switching  too shadow defender but this is  limited because of you cant use it on software that need reboot ..In recent  years any software i don't use I test in a VM 1st on Windows or just use a portable,

Most software. i install i have used it for years and are just updates i install and i always keep my old installers on another drive encase of bugs and other things so i can easy revert back if i have problems  .

i have Oracle VM VirtualBox think i'll put windows 10 on it so i can play around with trial programs and mess around with other things.

Archived