Broken Xbox

porkchopsandwich

porkchopsandwich

My Xbox stopped reading disk about a month ago and I just got around to calling their world class support team. i told what happened and answered all the dumb questions that followed. So she directed me to the website where you can print out shipping labels and explain in detail whats happening to it. Instead of explaining it I was still a little bothered by my encounter with this genius that I found myself ranting. This is what I wrote in the comment box.

I put cd in, it doesn’t read "open tray" message. I talked to the awesome support staff on the phone and they told me to reset the time and date to where I live and it may fix the problem. I told her how ridiculous this theory if hers was but she insisted that it may fix the problem. She told me not to plug in to the internet as well. How does an Xbox not hooked up to the net know what time it is at my house. Unless it can magically triangulate the moon, sun and stars. The time has nothing to do with the ability of a little laser reading a reflective material spinning at a rapid speed. It’s like saying my microwave doesn’t work because its 4 pm but its clock is set for 4 am. Good thing microwaves don’t have internet capabilities because i would have to eat my hot pockets frozen. Could someone tell Bill all this so maybe he could look in to hiring Americans to field these phone calls, it’s pretty bad when the support personal is tell me that they didn’t understand I word "I" said.

And to top it off its going to cost me 99.99 to ship it to these ITT grads so that they can attempt it fix it. I hope they don’t forget to reset the date/time.

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, just a thingie.. Windows Life Messenger most of the time wont work when your Date + time isn't what it's supposed to be.

But in this case, I think the Drive is malfunctioning. Can you somehow replace the drive?

If it will cost that much then you might as well fix it yourself. Inside an xbox 360 is just like a PC, anyone could replace parts inside there. Just locate the part you need and buy one. Many of the sites selling xbox 360 parts are ripoffs so look around for reviews of the store before dealing with them. You can use a site like reseller ratings to help you find a good store.

$99 is the repair cost. the shipping is free if you take it to a ups drop off point. when you turn 360 on does it give you an E code on the tv? 1 or 3 red rings on the 360? afterwards you go to the hidden error code page. you hold the reset and eject botton on the 360 machine for 1-4 flashes on the rings. do this 4 times. look up what each flash amount means in a number. (google it) 4 flashes i believe is 0. that 4 digital code will let you know what is really going on. (google that code too).

how old is the machine?

the 3 red rings has a 3 year warrenty. they just gave the 1 red ring the same 3 year warrenty too.

doesnt the 360 read and play music cds and dvd movies? could try that to test things. replacing your hardware parts make trigger ban account for hacking/mod and cheating.

basically im going to guess your dvd player bad. anything from dirty lens to dead player. have you verify your games disk are okay and play in another 360?

porkchopsandwich

Well, just a thingie.. Windows Life Messenger most of the time wont work when your Date + time isn't what it's supposed to be.

Yeah I can see how some programs can have this problem. Programs with encryptions or that need to talk directly to other programs, but I asked the lady if I needed to hook up the net and she said no. My only point was if I timed the Xbox for standard Eastern Time jumped on a plane and fly to some crap hole 3rd world country and hooked it up to a TV but never the net. Then the Xbox would still think I’m on the east coast and play whatever properly formatted disk I put in it. Am I not right?

You're right, the time, in this case, should not have anything to do with the problems you're experiencing. If this IS the case there is some kind of idiotic flaw in their programming which is, actually, highly likely, since it's Microsoft :P

porkchopsandwich

myidisbb>

I haven’t checked if it blinking red but I think I’m over the 3 years. I can’t remember when I bought it either but thanks for the info. Even if it’s over the 3 years I’ll get it don’t for free. I got the phone power like that. It pisses me off that companies sell stuff for hundreds of dollars and when it breaks they throw up under the bus. If the original Nintendo went bad I’m sure they would have taken care their patrons. If the Xbox would have came out 20 years ago with these kinds of problem and didn’t guarantee it. They would have bombed and gone bankrupt in a matter of months.

myidisbb>

I haven't checked if it blinking red but I think I'm over the 3 years. I can't remember when I bought it either but thanks for the info. Even if it's over the 3 years I'll get it don't for free. I got the phone power like that. It pisses me off that companies sell stuff for hundreds of dollars and when it breaks they throw up under the bus. If the original Nintendo went bad I'm sure they would have taken care their patrons. If the Xbox would have came out 20 years ago with these kinds of problem and didn't guarantee it. They would have bombed and gone bankrupt in a matter of months.

You know many people don't realise that an Xbox 360 is just A Microsoft game console, a PC is also a Microsoft gaming platform. I believe all Microsoft game titles are released for the Windows platform as well as Xbox 360. Also the 360 controller works flawlessly in the PC. I use it to play Devil May Cry 4, Street Fighter 4, etc. After I realised I already owned a Microsoft gaming console by having a PC, I didn't bother looking at Xbox 360 again. PS3 + PC FTW! best of 3 worlds. :D

• Administrator

Exactly even I believe the same. PC have many more things also. ;)

I wanna PS3 so bad.. I am going to have to have one for GT5 when it released..Plus allthe cool stuff they added with the PS3..that would be nice...

date should be on the back. calling their help line and giving they serial number would give you a date too.

nintendo hmmm. it was cheaper to replace the item then they fixing it. it also kept their console on top. dont want you using a sega system. i dont remember if they charged to fix them. i seem to remember a lawsuit against them back then. we are talking 20+ years ago.

dvd player hardware on laptops go out a lot too. espeacial the onces they soldiers used over in the middleeast with the elements. shit happens.

you should get a free month on xbox live. good luck

was hoping they make 360 online free for the 360 liek they finally did with the pc version.

well, it happened to me once

i live in syria , and cant (ever ) send the machine to Mr.Microsoft

So i checked online , The problem appeared to be known , as alot of people faced it

You had two options ,

whether to change the drive , It would cost about 60-70 US (dont know it is like that in my hometown )

Or you have just to clean up the lens , (Just like what i did )

You got to be sure , that u're testing ur xbox on alot games (dont mentioned if you use a hacked-games, some games Copies Suck )

You can open ur box , and open up ur Drive Room , inside U can use a special Cleaner for lens ,

and get it a try

i did it myself , and it worked again

Archived