Password protect USB flash drives?

donizme

I want to put a password on some folders on my USB flash drive. But I can't find a program that allows me to do this. I tried BitLocker To Go, but that puts a password on the entire drive! And it can only be edited using Win7 which is annoying if I'm using XP at university. <_<

I want to put password on folders on the flash drive only. I think Folder Lock 6 does this but then to edit the folders you have to have folder lock installed on the computer. Again, this is a problem at university. :frusty:

So does anyone know a program which can password protect files/folders on a USB drive without putting the whole drive under a password?

Thanks,

donizme.

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Today I tried "Lock Folder XP". It may help you.

The easiest method would probably be putting it in a zip/rar/whatever archive and password protect it.

Agreed.. that would safe u some compilable issues.

The easiest method would probably be putting it in a zip/rar/whatever archive and password protect it.

Yes I knew this but only problem is that I have like 2GB files which will take forever to put in .rar and again to extract. I will try the lock folder xp because I saw it in software news but I didn't see option to use it on portable drives. Anyway since DKT27 recommended it maybe he has used it on usb drive.

I will try it tomorrow because it's :sleep: time! Thanks for the help.

donizme.

I am an avid user of PortableApps.com Software. I have a modded launcher...and an assortment of programs that run directly from my USB and my External Hard Drive.

Toucan is a small program which is useful for backup, synchronization, and protecting files on an external device.

I am an avid user of PortableApps.com Software. I have a modded launcher...and an assortment of programs that run directly from my USB and my External Hard Drive.

Toucan is a small program which is useful for backup, synchronization, and protecting files on an external device.

Toucan looks fantastic, I will try that too later today. Thanks. :)

@ heath28m

I tried Toucan but it keeps encrypting the whole drive! I only want to encrypt some files/folders. I think there must be an option there somewhere but I can't find it. Maybe you can help? Thanks,

donizme.

• Administrator

So did Lock Folder XP help at-all?

So did Lock Folder XP help at-all?

I haven't tried it but I'm pretty sure it won't because it doesn't say support for U3 file systems(flash drives), only these:

Support of FAT, FAT32, and NTFS systems

I'm just gonna play around more with Toucan to find what I'm looking for. :rolleyes:

Can you password protect a RAR archive? I can't, only ZIP (I use WinRAR).

-EDIT-

If you want encryption also, you may want to use AxCrypt... it encrypts and puts on a password protection. And I think you can encrypt the whole removable medium with TrueCrypt (although I'm not sure).

• Administrator

Hey. You don't need to compress a file for encrypting it in a rar or zip. I mean you can select a compression method that in real is just for storage. Hence it will not take time to compress/decompress.

@ heath28m

I tried Toucan but it keeps encrypting the whole drive! I only want to encrypt some files/folders. I think there must be an option there somewhere but I can't find it. Maybe you can help? Thanks,

donizme.

Uhh.. I absolutely DESPIIISE U3..LOL...'Ohh we have to have two partitions.. and you must buy our apps.. and .. and .. ' :mad2: U3! I wiped mine with a small utility and reformatted before I ever did anything..I wasn't very happy with it..

ANYWAY!

If it is encrypting the whole drive then something is wrong...Remove ALL of your settings..in fact you could just erase the toucan dir.. BUT NOT IF YOU HAVE STUFF ENCRYPTED.. decrypt first. Then re-'install' or extract to your USB. Now with Toucan what I did as a test encrypt.. was create a new job..1 and I went to rules and created a simple rule.. which was easy. Then I kept variables empty. I selected a file then hit the + sign in the middle then encrypted. The file cme out on the other side as a .cpt I think. Then to Decrypt.. I had to reselect the NEW file.. with the .cpt at the end and then use the same pass...Worked fine here. So I dunno. Try that... if it still tried to encryt the whole drive .. something else may be interfering.. and I would be a little lost on that .. on this end..

Can you password protect a RAR archive? I can't, only ZIP (I use WinRAR).

Yes.. and it should do it in both formats.. I forget if its AES 256 bit or what but it does.. and it goes everywhere .. but then you have to have winrar.. which is easy because it can be portable and easily obtained.. even as a trial through the site.

you can lock a folder by a .BAT file.. a few lines to password it and un password it.

i'm sure the thing was posted on this web site somewhere.........

you can lock a folder by a .BAT file.. a few lines to password it and un password it.

Sounds complex!

Or is it as simple as using notepad then entering the lines of code and saving as .bat? If so then I will need the code.

• Administrator

Don't hide you files and folder from that renaming your file thing to something 5-1-5xxxxxxxxxx. I had done hiding it like that but was unsuccessful to recover it.

Sounds complex!

Or is it as simple as using notepad then entering the lines of code and saving as .bat? If so then I will need the code.

yeah everything into note pad... theres only about 5 lines i think and about 30 letters in all

Archived