What is Hijackthis and How to use it.

Toshiro

Ok, I've seen some people having problems with their PC. These problems are sometimes cause by malicious software.

Warning

HijackThis should only be used if your browser or computer is still having problems after running Spybot or another Spyware/Hijacker remover. HijackThis is an advanced tool, and therefore requires advanced knowledge about Windows and operating systems in general. If you delete items that it shows, without knowing what they are, it can lead to other problems such as your Internet no longer working or problems with running Windows itself. You should also attempt to clean the Spyware/Hijacker/Trojan with all other methods before using HijackThis. If you allow HijackThis to remove entries before another removal tool scans your computer, the files from the Hijacker/Spyware will still be left on your computer and future removal tools will not be able to find them.

Introduction

HijackThis is a utility that produces a listing of certain settings found in your computer. HijackThis wills scan your registry and various other files for entries that are similar to what a Spyware or Hijacker program would leave behind. Interpreting these results can be tricky as there are many legitimate programs that are installed in your operating system in a similar manner that Hijackers get installed. Therefore you must use extreme caution when having HijackThis fix any problems. I can not stress how important it is to follow the above warning.

Scanning and the Making of the log:

-Download Hijackthis and run it..

-Figuur%201%20HJT.jpg

First press (with the blue framework) button "Config" and check/uncheck the following lines so your Config is the same as the picture below..

Figuur%202%20HJT.jpg

-When done press Back and press the (with the red framework) button "Scan" (see picture below)

Figuur%201%20HJT.jpg

-When it's finished the scanning, press the (with the red framework) button "Safe Log" and safe it to your Desktop.

Figuur%203%20HJT.jpg

-Please post your Log in a new topic (or this one will get nuked..:P)

-When asked to delete something malicious, open up Hijackthis. After the scan has finished, search for the same line mentioned by the "Helper" and check it. After checking all the lines press "Fix Checked".(see picture below)

Fihuur%205%20HJT.jpg

Good Luck & Have Fun :)

• Replies 8
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@WaKa WaKa:

Thanks for the link. It should help some of my less knowledgeable friends.

I too recommend you not to play around with HJT.

There is certainly no fun to it either.

Letting it examined by experts is the best thing to do, and remember: if it is not broken, don't fix it.

You can copy the log in THIS website, and it will analize it for you.

Sorry if mi english is bad :s

Indeed.. but the thing is why I didn't add this in the post is that it sometimes gives false alerts. That's because the database doesn't know that one .exe file etc etc..(happend to me a lot of the time..) So you can use it as a guide, but you have to check it manual..

I know how to use this program but anyway thanks Haantjuh ;) .

I know how to use this program but anyway thanks Haantjuh ;) .

No Problems.. It's for the beginners and people that want to get some problems fixed :)

Archived