Disable logon screen background image in Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Jordan

RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance

Many Windows 10 users are not happy to see the default login screen background image. Earlier, it was possible to apply a Registry tweak to get rid of the background image. The Anniversary Update release, also known as Windows 10 version 1607, finally comes with an option which you can use to avoid Registry editing.

Before the Anniversary Update release, there was no option in Settings to disable the sign-in screen background image. But now this issue got resolved. If you upgraded to Windows 10 Anniversary Update, do the following.

Open Settings.

Settings Personalization

Go to Personalization - Lock Screen.

Windows 10 personalization lock screen

Scroll down the page you opened until you see the option Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen. Turn it off as shown below:

Windows 10 disable lock screen picture on sign in screen

The result will be as follows:

No login backgroun image in Windows 10 AU

That's it.

Note. If you have not upgraded your Windows 10 to Anniversary Update, please refer to the following article: Disable logon screen background image in Windows 10 without using third party tools

SOURCE

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about that annoying User Picture?

kEQOI39.png

I cannot get rid of it, ”thanks” to new changes made by Microsoft.

I like the changing background picture and the rounded user picture too. I don't see what is the problem with those things.

7 hours ago, Chatman said:

How about that annoying User Picture?

kEQOI39.png

I cannot get rid of it, ”thanks” to new changes made by Microsoft.

Such a methods are and may help:
1. Set a default User Logon Picture for all Users or disable it.
To complete this task in one go, get a picture that you want to display as the default logon picture. The image can be in .BMP or .PNG format.
Size in current Windows 10 version is 448x448 px

Next, navigate to the following folder:
%Programdata%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures
Example: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures

Here rename guest.bmp and user.bmp as guest.bmp.bak and user.bmp.bak respectively.

If necessary, do the same with the PNP pictures

Once you have done this, copy paste the image that you want to show as default logon picture, here.

Close the Account Picture folder.
Now let us see how to set a default User Logon Picture for all users!
2, Using Windows Registry

Open the Registry Editor. To do do, press Win+R to open Run dialog box, type regedit and press Enter.
Navigate to the following key: (if this key is there, if not go to next step - ie step 3 Using Group Policy)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

In the right panel, right click and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value. Give it name UseDefaultTile.

Click on Modify. Enter Value data as 1 for this DWORD (32-bit) and hit OK. A new registry enter will be added.
1 means, that image is enabled, 0 disabled.

Once done close the Registry Editor and restart the computer to apply the changes.

After system restart, this new default user logon picture will appear for all users.

In case you don’t want to keep default logon image then simply go to registry editor and navigate to this same key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

and delete UserDefaultTile or change the value 1 - image enabled, 0 image disabled.

3. Using Group Policy

If you have a basic understanding of how to work on group policy in a domain environment then these kind of changes can be done in just few clicks . The changes will affect all the computers connected to that domain controller in real time. The Group Policy can be easily applied or removed without going deep into registry.

If your version of Windows includes Group Policy, then Run => gpedit.msc and navigate to the following setting:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > User Accounts.
Double-click on text (not on icon) Apply the default user logon picture to all users, and enable or disable this setting. (By default, this is "Not Configured"). Then opens new window and  check "Disabled" or "Enabled"  

Then  Click OK/Apply and Exit.

Hope this works for you. If not, then I don't know other technologies.

Kalju,

Thank you, but your methods do not implements a workaround for ”Hide User Picture in GUI”.

As long as the User Picture is not hidden in GUI, no matter if you use a picture, or not, the annoying circle appears on the Login screen.

I do not want a Login screen with the circle in which User Picture appears.

5MTFaHx.png

I want a Login screen like the bellow one.

22WC3hS.png

how to disable account copy guys.. after rename PC, appear like this. but only 1 account detect in Netplwiz. help!

can't auto login, account below need password always

WP_20160805_13_14_13_Pro.jpg

Have you opened a local account or Microsoft account, or both?
How many different computer name is on your Microsoft account? If You said that renamed computer, whether You deleted the previous name on Your Microsoft account?

16 minutes ago, Kalju said:

Have you opened a local account or Microsoft account, or both?
How many different computer name is on your Microsoft account? If You said that renamed computer, whether You deleted the previous name on Your Microsoft account?

just one opened microsoft account, after rename PC appears nick copy, but no picture. no one account deleted, no syinc setting, just rename PC, user copied! what can I do? I hope just 1 user and auto login. but, two user always need password. Netplwiz not work :s

You said one user, how can be, that one will log in automatically and two users must insert password. How it is possible, if there is only one user? Then is three users, not one.

7 minutes ago, SabotaSe said:

Spoiler

Kalju

maybe I try deleted old account

bcca8bd871ee43c0a19683858b9f8b99.png

If everything works correctly with the new account, simply delete old. But before deleting be sure, that everything works and You will not destroy something important.

5 minutes ago, Kalju said:

You said one user, how can be, that one will log in automatically and two users must insert password. How it is possible, if there is only one user? Then is three users, not one.

yes three, but with old my laptop + lumia always auto login. because only one user detect on PC. Netplwiz works. no required password again.

1 minute ago, Kalju said:

If everything works correctly with the new account, simply delete old. But before deleting be sure, that everything works and You will not destroy something important.

I dont now, but I try deleted old account

Do You know, I can not give you more advice, because I still can not understand about what you're saying.
Sometime you talking about users, then you're talking about your account or accounts, then again about registered devices linked to this account. Not in any way do not understand. And it seems to me, that you don't know also itself about what you're speaking.

16 hours ago, Chatman said:

22WC3hS.png

The circle will be always displayed even if you delete the user picture

i think it's hardly coded in C:\Windows\SystemResources\Windows.UI.Logon\Windows.UI.Logon.pri

There is no reliable tools to edit this filetype, only some very complicated tricks using the windows 10 SDK tools which can harm your computer if there is any mistake

E0m6tLv.png

Microsoft is now restricting even customizations!

i just found an easy workaround!

Just replace your user picture with the image below and you're done!

This is a transparent png image

Just right-click on the "empty" area below and save as...:

Byq5lDj.png

With frame (frame is added only to be visible here. the png is fully transparent)

Byq5lDj.png

=================================================================

Result: The user picture is there but invisible

The circle is stll there too but when applied to an alpha channel it's no more visible!

To be honest, i didn't expected it will work!:D

BPLTUKa.png

==============================================================

IMPORTANT NOTE: This was tested successfuly on Windows 10 Build 10586

Please do a quick test by replacing your user picture ( %Programdata%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures ) with the one above

Hit simultaneously Win+L to see the result immediately...

if it's working in the Anniversary Update build, you can create your own transparent png image if you want

i just remembred png's have transparency and created mine in a hurry but didn't respected dimensions

Original user-192.png is 192x192 pixels (mine is 364x247 Pixels but working)

The method with the transparent PNG worked in Windows 10 Build 10586. In actual version doesn't work.

23 minutes ago, jordan4x said:

What did you get when applied?

Can you post a screenshot?

There was a white circle, or a black one, depending of the picture Bit depth (32, or 24) .

I tried with PNG, BMP.

58 minutes ago, Chatman said:

There was a white circle, or a black one, depending of the picture Bit depth (32, or 24) .

I tried with PNG, BMP.

It's not working then!

Maybe someone else can find another solution for this damn "halloween" update!:P

17 minutes ago, jordan4x said:

It's not working then!

Maybe someone else can find another solution for this damn "halloween" update!:P

...might think that there is a need for surgical intervention.
BG have something a little bit too much ...

Spoiler

gettyimages-462347220.jpg?quality=80&w=6

knowledge-Spammer
23 hours ago, Chatman said:

Kalju,

Thank you, but your methods do not implements a workaround for ”Hide User Picture in GUI”.

As long as the User Picture is not hidden in GUI, no matter if you use a picture, or not, the annoying circle appears on the Login screen.

I do not want a Login screen with the circle in which User Picture appears.

5MTFaHx.png

22WC3hS.png

that easy just remove all files from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures

tested on the same version u wanted it to work on sign out and in again to see if works i am  sure it will do like u wanted

knowledge,

I think you would say Default Account Pictures, not User Account Pictures.

Anyway, it did not works.

knowledge-Spammer
10 minutes ago, Chatman said:

I think you would say Default Account Pictures, not User Account Pictures.

Anyway, it did not works.

for me remove all and it is like how u wanted tested it  just now

3nmvkC8.jpg

BmVymfB.jpg

RtncRN2.jpg

nQKzhiW.jpg

if like can post video of me doing this  so can see it remove what u wanted and   u not see it in signin

Archived