[Out of date]Why you must switch from uTorrent immediately and to what

Akaneharuka

Akaneharuka

uTorrent is one of the most popular BitTorrent client apps for downloading anything. It has always been the de-facto app for Windows users owing to its low resource consumption and small executable size. Its UI was also clean, simple and an example of a successful design. However, newer versions of uTorrent are full of ads, and, what is worse is that the latest version installs a Bitcoin miner silently on your PC, which leads to heavy CPU usage and overall performance slowdown of your PC hardware. Here is what you need to know if you use uTorrent.

If you are using the latest version of the uTorrent app, you should know that it silently installs an additional software called "EpicScale". It will be installed without any confirmation from you, and the uTorrent installer does not have even a checkbox to avoid installing the crapware. Many uTorrent users have confirmed this fact.

What is EpicScale? It is an application created by EpicScale Inc. which uses your PC for their own purpose. They can use it to perform any computations - solve various math problems, physical processes modelling and for Bitcoin mining. EpicScale claims that all profit obtained from such activity will be used to "change the world".

The Windows ecosystem has had a problem with such unwanted crapware for a long time. A company whose goals are using your PC's processing power to "change the world" is by no means trustworthy because you never explicitly opted in to install their software, they installed it silently like a virus or other type of malware would. The EpicScale software can create issues for you by reducing your PC's performance by overloading the CPU. Or suppose you installed uTorrent on a laptop, then EpicScale will reduce your battery charge level to 0% very quickly. Plus, there is no guarantee that it doesn't have some backdoor which makes your PC vulnerable to attack or snooping.

The uTorrent team, in their defense, claim that they have signed a partnership agreement with EpicScale and that is how they generate revenue. However, this kind of sleazy behavior is not acceptable and it is time that you switched from uTorrent to something else.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to check if your PC has EpicScale installed

Although EpicScale installs itself silently, it will be visible in the "Programs and Features - Uninstall a program" Control Panel. Go to Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features and see if you have EpicScale listed there. If yes, then Uninstall it. Next, check out the following folder:

C:\ProgramData\EpicScale

Delete all files from here if the uninstaller left something there. This will ensure your PC no longer has their crapware installed.

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Akaneharuka
6 minutes ago, Crazycanuk said:

Source?

I:m edit this topic now  i:m not finished edit the topic yet

I press wong button  and make it submit automatic XD

I used to use v2.2.1 last build. It is very stable and crap free. I've used it long enough to say that it doesn't contain any bloatware and PC runs as fast as it should. As it is too old it doesn't work well with magnet links. When we add links it doesn't retrieve data of torrent unless we start downloading due to which later some time I've switched to v3.4.7 (not the latest as far as I know it is v3.4.8) Pro version (cracked) with all ads and shit disabled in Advanced settings. It is as clean as possible and works great, no bloatware and no high CPU usage. I think I'll stick to it as it works great for me unless someone uploads latest in the same way.

EDIT: Our friend @knowledge did it again here.

knowledge-Spammer

i understand what u mean but sorry i like utorrent  so ill stay with it for now

ps my versions not have this EpicScale from my understand ?

this EpicScale  run  in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

if u not see EpicScale  then u are ok i think

i have my eye on this program so not to worry

Knowledge

I share your opinion on this one. As you said I will also keep my eye on this program.

It is something like a Bitcoin miner this EpicScale, a Litecoin precisely, I saw on web news from 2015, anyway I believe that patched version doesn't have this disease.

I encountered something like this before from games installers. Pretty sure knowledge have removed it. :)

knowledge-Spammer
3 minutes ago, SandStone said:

It is something like a Bitcoin miner this EpicScale, a Litecoin precisely, I saw on web news from 2015, anyway I believe that patched version doesn't have this disease.

I encountered something like this before from games installers. Pretty sure knowledge have removed it. :)

i am sure i removed all bs  from program but if u guys see something u not like  tell me and ill try and fix if can

I've been using uTorrent v1.8.2.15167 from 2009 for years. Works great. Magnet links are fine.

My only exception for not using utorrent was in past for downloading a type of file archive really hard to handle for Windows OS, need Linux for something, and that time used linux, was a db of some type. For anything else ok. I also like opensource ones. :)

According to a site I went to yesterday.. there is also a problem with PeerFlooding.. and companies are using this to circumvent and crash Bitorrent and uTorrent.. they suggest not using them until the flaw is fixed...

EDIT: I also believe that the problem exists with older versions... if you use magnet links you can loose your torrents... finding a valid alternative is going to be hard in both departments..

1 hour ago, jabrwky said:

I've been using uTorrent v1.8.2.15167 from 2009 for years. Works great. Magnet links are fine.

I know they (older versions) work fine but I meant that when you click on a magnet link (not add via .torrent) the uTorrent (older) doesn't show torrent's files (contents) in the window opened instantly like in newer versions unless you start the download. In that case if I want to download selective files only I'll have to start the download first and then later go into the Files tab and select the files which I want not to download by right clicking and selecting "skip" option.

It works but is a little annoying. :D

SnakeMasteR

Why posting about something that's 1 year old and more? Just look at the comment dates on linked page. It's totally outdated too and pretty sure it's been posted already.

SnakeMasteR

Everything released before and after 3.4.2 is free from it. Ads remain, apparently.

I use 3.4.5_41202 version installed offline with disabled network card and installed careful with decline or no install other ads.

Like the others pointed out  this news is out dated  ,  the post is news from last year   , I think EpicScale Bitcoin miner was removed over a year ago and if you didn't get infected then you most likely are not going too now . :)

Epic Scale offer on hold, Uninstall Instructions - March 8, 2015

We understand the concerns that have been raised about our partner offer with Epic Scale. Amid user feedback, on Fridaymid-day we paused the offer to allow time for us to do an evaluation. 

This offer has been made to Windows client installs only, not Mac or Linux machines. It was released to about 6% of our global population between mid-January and March 6th 2015. If you are looking for information on how to remove Epic Scale conventionally or manually, please visit http://www.epicscale.com/how-to-uninstall-epic-scale  

There have been a lot of claims over the past few days, some of them fair and some pretty wild. We have always invited an open and constructive dialogue, particularly through our forums, and want that to continue. 

As we’ve discussed in the past, partner offers are one of the ways we generate revenue. Many of you already understand that this is a common model for software companies that provide products and technology for free. Our policy is that these offers are strictly optional and we have never done a silent install; in fact, we built our installer technology to make silent installs impossible. The offers we choose and how we present them are something we strive to get right, and we think we’ve been mostly successful over the last four years.  

That being said - from the feedback we’ve received, it is clear that we misjudged how users would react to this offer; this software is truly different from our previous offers and therefore deserves special attention.  For this, we unequivocally apologize to our affected users.

A quick word on Epic Scale. We do believe their charitable mission to be genuine and heartfelt, and their technology innovative.  We encourage you to learn more about them and to offer constructive feedback so they can improve on what they are doing.  We are working with them to take another close look at how their software works (and how we present it) and have shared the concerns that have been made here so that they can be addressed.

We hope this better clarifies the nature of our offers, and of our partnership with Epic Scale

Source:

https://forum.utorrent.com/topic/95069-epic-scale-offer-on-hold-uninstall-instructions/

LOL! I didn't even bother to look at source link, my bad. This discussion is useless now if uTorrent doesn't contain this EpicScale thingy.

6 minutes ago, ashish.k said:

LOL! I didn't even bother to look at source link, my bad. This discussion is useless now if uTorrent doesn't contain this EpicScale thingy.

A new free one came out that has video player and stuff  im yet to test it out  because i use debird service to download torrents mostly behind a vpn :P

CuteTorrent

https://cutetorrent.info/en/

https://github.com/ruslanfedoseenko/CuteTorrent/releases

• @Akaneharuka  is a really good member and anyone can make a mistake .. but you're right some the most popular news post turned out to be fake or something ..People thrive  on fear  :)

I have used utorrent before the version I used was clean and worked for me.  Now I use Vuze:

http://www.vuze.com/

I love vuze and if you decide to use vuze do this:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/optimizing-vuze-speed.htm

Information in that link can help you optimize vuze for best speed.

• Crazycanuk locked this topic

Archived