Feds Seize KickassTorrents Domains, Arrest Owner

TheMountain

4 hours ago, kgpian said:

The server wasn't in Canada either, believe it or not, they might have been in Chicago *facepalm* And the user database is still intact. The site, the proxy sites and everything related to KAT was taken down by the other admins to protect all users (including themselves). They had contacts outside the community too.

According to the hacker mews  there were more than 1 server and DHS 

http://thehackernews.com/2016/07/kickasstorrents-kat-cr.html

From the  HSI   agents  complaint

in ¶36-37, all of the Subject Domains at some point used the KAT Chicago server as one of their name servers. Domain Subject Domain 1 kickasstorrents.com Subject Domain 2 kastatic.com Subject Domain 3 thekat.tv Subject Domain 4 kat.cr Subject Domain 5 kickass.cr Registry Verisign Verisign Verisign Nir.cr Nir.cr Subject Domain 6 kickass.to Tonic Domains Corp. Subject Domain 7 kat.ph PHRegistrar C. 75. Description Main KAT site 11/08 to 4/11 Supports kat.cr images Also currently hosts KAT Main KAT site 5/15 to present Also currently hosts KAT Main KAT site 6/13 to 12/14 a 2/15 to 6/15 Main KAT site 4/11 to 6/13 Hosts or Redirects to kat.cr KAT Canadian Server Logs

Here is the full Artem-Vaulin-Complaint   by the DHS

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2996082/Artem-Vaulin-Complaint.txt

What lead to this happening  it seems it was the MPAA complaining  too DHS

As part of the investigation, I have communicated with representatives

of the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA)6 regarding this investigation.
The representatives provided me with information the MPAA had developed about
KAT, among other websites. The representatives stated that the MPAA closely
monitors KAT and that a significant portion of the movies available on KAT are
protected by copyright. The representatives also specified that the MPAA has not
granted permission to KAT to index, link, frame, transmit, retransmit, provide

According to its representative, the MPAA is an organization that represents each of the
major motion picture studios in the United States, specifically: Paramount Pictures
Corporation; Sony Pictures Entertainment, Inc.; Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation;
Universal City Studios, LLC; Universal City Studios Productions, LLP; Warner Brothers
Entertainment, Inc.; Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures; and their respective affiliates.
Among other responsibilities, the MPAA advocates for and enforces the intellectual
property rights of its member studios. In addition to motion pictures, MPAA member
studios also possess the copyright to many television shows.

In or about March 2016, the MPAA provided an estimation of loss exceeding $324,000 for
six recent movie titles available on Subject Domain 4 (Deadpool, The Revenant, Sisters,
Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Ride Along 2 and Zootopia) based on the number of Torrent
downloads for those movies on the site.

Same thing that got  Megaupload took offline they had servers in The USA  and there's many more public and private torrent sites using USA web space.  Careless mistakes by these people who run these sites when you use USA  web space you're asking to get caught  buy it from elsewhere. One thing i never done was join a public P2P site I see no need because its open download there were no benefit from joining them I never uploaded to p2p no how  when i was uploading I used file host  and posted on forums .

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived