Google DataSaver Proxy for Firefox

Jordan

Google Data Saver for Firefox

Google DataSaver Proxy is a Firefox add-on that brings Google's popular data compression technology to the Mozilla browser.

Google launched a data compression proxy for Chrome on Android in 2013, and has since then brought the technology as a browser extension to desktop versions of the Google Chrome web browser as well.

Like Opera Turbo, Google DataSaver moves data through Google-owned servers where the data is compressed before sent to the user device.

While compression won't result in any notable gains when it comes to already compressed content such as videos, it cuts data in half or even more when it comes to content that is not compressed yet.

Google DataSaver Proxy for Firefox

google data saver firefox

Google DataSaver Proxy for Firefox works for the most part like the official Google extension for Chrome. It moves data through Google servers and compresses it there before it lands on the user's device.

Attention: You need to turn off the Data Saver feature using the extension's icon before uninstalling the extension as it won't restore the proxy settings. You can fix the issue manually by loading about:config, searching for network.proxy.http, network.proxy.http_port, and network.proxy.type,  right-clicking each preference and selecting reset from the context menu.

It optimizes images, minifies HTML, JavaScript and CSS where applicable, and utilizes Google's Safe Browsing feature automatically on top of that.

Google's solution for Chrome ignores HTTPS traffic and private browsing data. It appears that the solution for Firefox does the same for HTTPS traffic but not for private browsing data.

A quick test revealed that total and saved data counts increased even when private browsing mode was used. The display of data seemed delayed however, and additional tests need to be conducted before a conclusion can be reached.

The Firefox add-on works automatically after installation, and places an icon in the main Firefox toolbar indicating the status of the proxy (on or off).

A click on the icon displays a number of statistics including the save percentage, as well as the total data and compressed data.

Additionally, it lists the day's and monthly savings, and offers to reset those at any time to start anew.

Data Saver pros and cons

Data Saver compresses data before it is transferred. This makes it useful in situations where the Internet connection is not reliable, where it is slow, or where response times from Internet servers are slow.

The gains have to be weight against privacy issues. HTTP Traffic is routed through Google servers after all.

SOURCE

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Recently, I was wondering if it was possible to do that. It turns out, you not only had to change settings, but change the metadata everytime you opened something. So this is what this addon probably does. I highly doubt Google will like it though.

I must mention, Mozilla too wanted to implement something like this. But then stopped it as they do not have an infrastructure or did not want to have additional infrastructure to run it.

Just try this extension to me not help to much for saving data, first version/released some websites not support through google proxy.

I think this extension much better, but the project has stop already.

TheMountain

Another way to reduce data consumption is looking through 'Firefox based browsers' 'about:config' menu & delete URLs sending private / public info back to Mozilla. 

I not understand why someone needs this, the server must support this and HTTP/2 is already rolling out. Why some webmaster should support this compared to the traditional HTTP. From what I could read the compression was massive improved in HTTP/2.

There is another good addon with the same functionality , plus it has an option to choose the rate of compression
SkyZip, its available on chrome & firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/skyzip-firefox/?src=ss

I believe their servers are in Germany , because their website end in .de (skyzip.de)

2 hours ago, salsa12 said:

I not understand why someone needs this, the server must support this and HTTP/2 is already rolling out. Why some webmaster should support this compared to the traditional HTTP. From what I could read the compression was massive improved in HTTP/2.

There is another good addon with the same functionality , plus it has an option to choose the rate of compression
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/skyzip-firefox/?src=ss

I believe their servers are in Germany , because their website end in .de (skyzip.de)

Sounds like a good company  .

We adopt appropriate data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction of your personal information, username, password, transaction information and data stored on our Site.

Sensitive and private data exchange between the Site and its Users happens over a SSL secured communication channel and is encrypted and protected with digital signatures.

Sharing your personal information

We do not sell, trade, or rent Users personal identification information to others. We may share generic aggregated demographic information not linked to any personal identification information regarding visitors and users with our business partners, trusted affiliates and advertisers for the purposes outlined above.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/android/addon/skyzip-firefox/privacy/

As far as sending you're data trough Google  if the cops get a warrant and they are trying to  pass it where they don't need  a warrant they can access you're data , I pay ,money every years so i can surf  though a vpn  that don't  log..So no way id surf trough nothing  like Google's proxy or there DNS  i'm not going make it easy on them to get my data :P

3 hours ago, salsa12 said:

Already used it before, I likes this extension but not working anymore on my Firefox.

Archived