Piracy could land you in jail for 10 years in the UK, in the future

Reefa

j6icjpU.jpg

Piracy has been an issue for as long as digital content has been available. VCR's were once thought to kill the TV and movie industry, and we were told to not copy that floppy in the 90's. However, ever since Napster made online piracy almost mainstream, courts have cracked down on the offenders, and hard.

Today, it was announced that the UK government would ask Parliament to grant them new powers when it comes to punishing those guilty of copyright infringement. If the new powers are granted, this would allow them to sentence offenders to up to 10 years in jail. Think about that for just a moment.

We've all heard that piracy is not a victimless crime. And yes, arguments can be made for piracy's ability to expand the reach of content to people that might have otherwise not consumed it. However, at the end of the day, it is still a crime. You're getting something for free, that you should be paying for. And with any crime, there should be punishment. However, up to 10 years in jail for copyright infringement hardly seems fitting.

Here are two other crimes that, if found guilty of, you can also face a maximum of 10 years in jail: ‘possession of firearm with intent to cause fear of violence’ and ‘administering poison etc. so as to endanger life.’ These two crimes are definitely the sort of thing that a person should be jailed for some serious time for. Pirating Game of Thrones is not.

The current maximum penalty for copyright infringement is 2 years in jail. Honestly, any jail time seems a bit absurd for something like this. However, the fact that they want to push to increase that five-fold is just absurd.

source

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, vibranium said:

10 years. Doesn't that seem a bit overmuch, my laddies?

Nope, obviously pirates deserve to be drawn and quartered like the good old days, right?

10 years for piracy, just 5 for a rape (I've made this up, but I bet I'm not far off). Now tell me someone has fucked up priorities?

Ten years are equal to 3650 days.

HM prison service is already over crowded and will not be capable of handling all them ugly copy right infringers that are ruining the entertainment industry, the government will no doubt work hard through our freely elected members of Parliament on securing the services of private security firms to provide the facilities to house said offenders.

Let us assume that said private security firms charged a measly £100 per day (more like three or four times that amount actually) to house a single big bad ugly copy right infringer, that would cost the tax payer £365,000 per offender to make sure he paid society back for his evil deeds.

Now let us assume that the brother/ father/ brother in law/ father in law of our law abiding law fearing politicians rose to the challenge of making our streets safer and brighter by locking up all them big bad and ugly infringers by setting up/ chairing/ being on the boards of said private security firms, then we would have a nice little family earner, would we not?

Let us not forget that the world will become a better/ safer/ happier place for all involved, at the tax payer's expense of course.

post scriptum:

Will the new proposed law also apply to those of us who infringe copying left?

You can go steal  the movie  in the UK  and get less time  :P

Magistrates have a range of sentencing powers up to a maximum of 6 months imprisonment, and are able to impose appropriate sentences for shoplifting, including for repeat offending.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 7:14 PM, CODYQX4 said:

Nope, obviously pirates deserve to be drawn and quartered like the good old days, right?

No, my matey! Them pirates, they walking the plank, they be!

The real pirates is Hollywood charging $12 bucks in the USA to see a crappy movie. They should offer a money-back guarantee if after 30 minutes into any movie, the movie sucks and you wish to leave the theater or you should be able to pay what you think the movie is worth.

For example,

The Boss movie, is worth $3 - not $12.50

Batman vs Superman is worth $5 not $13

My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 is worth $2 not $13

Barbershop: The Next Cut is worth $3 not $13

On 23/04/2016 at 4:04 PM, steven36 said:

You can go steal  the movie  in the UK  and get less time  :P

As usual you have come out with the best answer and best of all its right..I could go down town tomorrow steal a new DVD and if i have no criminal record will probably just get a caution that just sums it up for me right there ...Or with a criminal record maybe 6 months as steven36

said. LOL i wonder what would happen if i walked into a police station tomorrow and admitted to downloading a movie..?

Archived