OK, So Like An Idiot I....

Myth

i went out and paid 160 dollars for windows media 2005...i did this for many comp reasons but also for my 360...but screw that for one minute...i first had difficulty installing this thing...so i finally got it installed correctly and had the worst time getting everything back up...it didn't recognize my drivers...i have no drivers disc or recovery disc...so i had to go through a lot of crap to get my internet videocards and sound cards going again...so anyway...all is well now but two things...i think i may have put this windows over the original xp home that came previously with this computer...i have done some reading and putting a windows over another windows...is not a good thing...on the same partition...i have done some reading on partitions but i still don't know much about them...i just know that what i have done is not good...the old windows has things on it that are using valuable memory up and i don't even use the os anymore...so i would like to get rid of them...going back to stupid me...i also read that windows media center is not really so much for updating...it's for building a new pc from the ground up...this was another mistake of the many...is there any way to erase everything i've done...go back to the home with a clean drive and do this all over again? or am i screwed

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all: i dont know why it doesnt wok good for you. i installed media center and it works fine, recognizes drivers, and updates. Secondly: you arent screwed...completely, you could just format your hard drive and start all over, but you will lose everything, unless you back everything you want to keep up before formating your hard drive. hope that helps.

last i heard you are not suppose to be able to buy windows media by itself in neither upgrade nor older computer. it suppose to be with a whole NEW computer system. they should NOT had sold you it. (though you need get a good price for it ^_^)

im not sure if you could get it as an oem if you was building a comptuer system at the sametime. but i understood no.

im taking you have files you want to recover. i dont know if you are sol or not yet. tried reinstalling the old windows os you had before? when it comes up try repair. you might have to get another harddrive and make it your c: master drive and slave your old drive. you should be able to get files back.

last i heard you are not suppose to be able to buy windows media by itself in neither upgrade nor older computer.  it suppose to be with a whole  NEW computer system.  they should NOT had sold you it.  (though you need get a good price for it ^_^)

im not sure if you could get it as an oem if you was building a comptuer system at the sametime.  but i understood no.

im taking you have files you want to recover.  i dont know if you are sol or not yet.  tried reinstalling the old windows os you had before?  when it comes up try repair.  you might have to get another harddrive and make it your c: master drive and slave your old drive.  you should be able to get files back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

everything is fine now...i formatted:(...you are right....it is supposed to be use ONLY for a pc that you're building

Which is why most stores that sell it will need you to buy something else that a computer needs to function, such as a mouse, NIC card... etc... anything cheap to be honest ^_^ Even if you don't need the extra item, it can always be used as a backup.

last i heard you are not suppose to be able to buy windows media by itself in neither upgrade nor older computer.  it suppose to be with a whole  NEW computer system.  they should NOT had sold you it.  (though you need get a good price for it ^_^)

im not sure if you could get it as an oem if you was building a comptuer system at the sametime.  but i understood no.

im taking you have files you want to recover.  i dont know if you are sol or not yet.  tried reinstalling the old windows os you had before?  when it comes up try repair.  you might have to get another harddrive and make it your c: master drive and slave your old drive.  you should be able to get files back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats true, i forgot to mention that the media center came on my dell dimension 5150 when i bought it, i didnt buy it from the stores and then install it.

Archived