Windows 7 Advice Needed!

donizme

hello,

I am going to download the final RTM when it's available but before I install I need some advice.

I don't want to wipe everything off my 320GB HDD. I was thinking that can I make a partition of like 100GB and install W7 on there then transfer my files from the remaing 250GB Vista partition to the new one? I don't have a spare HDD so transferring from partition is the only thing I can think of. Will this work? Any issues that I might experience?

And can I just delete the Vista partition so then I am left with 320GB HDD of clean installed Windows 7? :)

Thanks,

donizme

• Replies 16
  • Views 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes, it will work. No issues if done correctly.

and yes you can delete the Vista partition if you don't like it.

All depends on the software you use for partitioning.

Software for partitioning? Can't I just use the built in Disk Manager thingy in Vista?

Oh and do I get to keep the C letter for the drive?

This is what I think will happen.

When you make a new partition on your only hard drive. That partition will become Drive D (the next default drive letter). When you install Win 7 on Drive D, Win 7 system files and bootloader will be on Drive C. Because of this, you will not be able to format or delete the partition (Drive C). You can try to manually delete all the non Win 7 files on Drive C then shrink the partition. But I don't think that you will ever get rid of Drive C.

You can try this. Make another partition (Drive D) and install Win7. Move all your files to Drive D. Install Win 7 again on Drive C, then move all the files back to Drive C, then delete the partition (Drive D). Make sure that you set the boot manager so Win 7 on Drive C boots instead of Win 7 Drive D.

Better yet, make a second partition and just move all your files over. Then just install Win 7 on Drive C, copy all the files from Drive D back to Drive C then delete the partition Drive D. I think this is better if you are to get rid of Vista any way.

@donizme:

You can try:

1. Making a new partition now before installing Windows 7

2. Backing up all your important files in the new partition

Once these steps are done, you don't need to worry about a clean install :unsure:

Thanks to all. But specially BOX! and Bizarre who I think suggested the same option.

I do intend to get rid of Vista, so I think making a a new partition (D) and moving my personal files there is the most appropriate option. Then installing Win7 on C drive where Vista is currently installed will finish the job.

Ok thats currently the plan, if you suspect there could be any other issues please do tell! Thanks again for the kind help. :)

donizme.

I'd recommend moving all your personal files to the D partition and then wiping the whole C partition before installing Windows 7(rather than upgrading Vista to Windows 7 :)).

There are no more issues I could think of.

• Administrator

It is hole ton of, I mean full 100 miles of garbage.

Yes I will wipe the C drive during the Win7 install.

Hey I just realised I can sell my Vista(legit) now that I'm not using it! Darn what's the point now, it must be worth 1 dollar? ;)

• Administrator

No one will take it even if you pay them 10$.

No one will take it even if you pay them 10$.

I'm gona check on eBay. Hopefully I will get £30. ;)

• Administrator

Who want it if it is available leaked?

• Administrator

:hi: Indeed, indeed.;)

Archived