PC won't start!

TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie

I have been having problems with my PC for the last week or so - it just won't start.

I have an Asus Maximus Gene IV mainboard, which has an LCD display (that display BIOS error codes) and Start and Reset buttons on the board itself, as well as some light thingy that illuminates part of the board.

The Start and Reset lights are on, but the LED isn't, so there is power to the board, but the buttons do nothing. I disabled the light thingy.

I have replaced the CMOS battery but still no joy.

Does anyone have any ideas before I start dismantling the damned thing...?

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me get this straight you hear everything powering up and there is no display monitor light is amber?  That usually indicates the motherboard is not grounded or its faulty somewhere.  Is the system speaker working if before this you used to hear one beep and now you hear no beeps no beeps means lack of power somewhere.

TrickyDickie
54 minutes ago, Holmes said:

Let me get this straight you hear everything powering up and there is no display monitor light is amber?  That usually indicates the motherboard is not grounded or its faulty somewhere.  Is the system speaker working if before this you used to hear one beep and now you hear no beeps no beeps means lack of power somewhere.

No - No powering up at all - The CPU fans turn once and stop, then nothing.

As for the beeps, this board has a LED display that give numerical error codes. That display is also dead. The lights for the Power and reset buttons (also on the board) are lighting up.

23 minutes ago, Pjotr 1st said:

Thanks - I'll take a look now.

I'd suspect the motherboard, had the same issue and signs on another system turned out the motherboard was faulty, replaced the motherboard and everything was fine again.

before that you can try removing your discrete graphic card, if at all and connect display cable to motherboard itself see if it changes its behavior 

AlienForce1
4 hours ago, Chancer said:

I'd try another power supply.

Are you sure that your power supply is ok ? You can test it - disconnect all power supply cables from MB and connect the green and black wires with a paper clip (or a piece of wire) -> PSU should start and if you have a multimeter verify output voltages :

-> but , I agree with Chancer , I would try another PSU  ( I have seen PSU that had all output tensions ok , but in load didn`t sustained all voltages and the MB didn`t start ...)

TrickyDickie
16 minutes ago, AlienForce1 said:

Are you sure that your power supply is ok ? You can test it - disconnect all power supply cables from MB and connect the green and black wires with a paper clip (or a piece of wire) -> PSU should start and if you have a multimeter verify output voltages :

R9oM2he.jpg

-> but , I agree with Chancer , I would try another PSU  ( I have seen PSU that had all output tensions ok , but in load didn`t sustained all voltages and the MB didn`t start ...)

OK - I have a friend who can help me with that, and maybe provide another PSU to test it with.

It may take a few days to set up (Thank $deity for Continuum on my Lumia 950 lol)

Archived