live boot recovery disks, need help advice information please!

d3v

Guys I am going to be fixing a lot of computers soon and I have need as much information as I can get on bootable recovery live disks. Google dosn't really return much of use suprisingly.

My first question is about CD's vs USB memory sticks. Am I correct in saying that using bootable live disks on a USB stick is far better than using them on a CD because on USB drives the programs are able to write rather than just "read"??? I bought a Corsair 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Voyager Hi Speed memory stick recently for this purpose. What are the pros and cons and compatibility issues which using a USB memory stick? For instance can all PC's boot from USB drives?

Also why are linux boot cd's so popular? How do they compare to windows ultimate boot cd and Hiren's boot disk? What advantages does a linux boot disk have over those aforementioned windows bootdisks? If Linux disks are indeed superior I am more than willing to learn how to work Linux, but I need some reasons to convince me and some links to places to get started!

I also read a post here a while back about some guy making his own "ultimate boot disk" with all the most popular bootable disk packages on a single USB drive with the option to use each one via a DOS menu - sounds exciting. Overall I am looking to put something together than will cover all bases and remedy any possible computer issue.

Please give as much info/advice as possible as like I will be fixing a lot of computers in the near-future!

thanks guys.

• Replies 12
  • Views 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Lots of (especially older) computers cannot boot from USB. You can always use a combination of USB and CD/DVD....

What types of things are you doing to be "fixing"?

• Administrator

Boot from USB programs can give you some trouble. It is only possible to boot from usb by these programs.

CDs are best in this case. You can use rewritable disks if you want.

Lots of (especially older) computers cannot boot from USB. You can always use a combination of USB and CD/DVD....

What types of things are you doing to be "fixing"?

anything and everything! I'm a local computer repairman around here. I do a good job at real cheap prices because I personally know how horrendous it feels to have to pay the rip off fees from commercial repair companies.

yes I will make sure to have a CD version for older systems.

Boot from USB programs can give you some trouble. It is only possible to boot from usb by these programs.

CDs are best in this case. You can use rewritable disks if you want.

so USB bootdisks offer no advantage?

• Administrator

I can understand your job. It's good. Is it a part time?

2nd para - You may consider it so. On the other end many poor people in my country who have PC but they don't have CD drive or its not working properly. You know nowadays buying new Cd drives are cheaper than repairing it. Lite said it right, use both of them depending on the conditions.

I'd use USB as main and CD as backup.

Just use one of the Windows boot disks around, you'll find yourself easier accustomed to those than when using a Linux boot disk.

You should look up BartPE.

It is a bootable CD which you can add plugins.

Other options are:

Ultimate Boot CD

UBCD for Windows

Hirens boot CD

Also to answer your second question.

Some Linux live CD's have great tools from which you can test your PC, but they are not as powerful as the 4 options I gave you above.

This article explains how to boot from a USB drive:

click

• Administrator

Sorry demonon but BartPE has some problems and it is slow. Otherwise I would had been the first one to tell to try it.

EDIT# The given link is very good.

I can understand your job. It's good. Is it a part time?

2nd para - You may consider it so. On the other end many poor people in my country who have PC but they don't have CD drive or its not working properly. You know nowadays buying new Cd drives are cheaper than repairing it. Lite said it right, use both of them depending on the conditions.

no, full time. i'm making a website at the moment. already have ads on local shop windows. I charge soooo little but I could do with more calls! maybe they think I'm crap because I'm so cheap? :P

@ demonon thanks for the information and this link is indeed handy. So it seems that all these Linux disks are not worth the bother and that UBCD/Hiren is a better option - I am relieved at this news as Linux is difficult to learn but I would of gotten straight into it if these Linux bootdisks were better than what I already had.

Is BartPE fully customizable? Can you basically create you're perfect personalized bootdisk? Is this what Hiren used to make his?

• Administrator

Actually Ubuntu is also good. It is based on linux. I personally don't like any other than Windows.

Actually Ubuntu is also good. It is based on linux. I personally don't like any other than Windows.

do you mean you don't like any of the Windows-based boot disks?

what advantages does Ubuntu bootdisk have over a windows one?

• Administrator

No I'm not talking about boot disk on any line. I'm talking about OS. It is free, just 699mb. Can be downloaded from the website.

• Administrator

It all depends on things that are needed. I often prefer the use of the Linux Bootable CD in some cases (i.e. i want some data from the hard drive or for partitioning).

Archived