Use your PC as a proxy

shought

As the title and the subtitle state: does anyone know of a program that would allow me to use my PC as a proxy, offering it as a proxy server to other people(or just one), preferably password protected of course.

(I know Tor 'kind of' has this functionality, but it doesn't allow the client to pick a host and I don't want everyone to use my PC as a proxy, rather just one person).

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

You can prolly do something like this by installing XAMPP on your computer then using a Web Proxy script. This way you can view any websites you wanted.

If your after something a little more take a look at WinProxy.

Downloading XAMPP as we speak.

Will post back with the results.

Ok, installed it and started all services, but when I press 'Admin' at Apache 'localhost' won't load...

Never mind lol, I had to use 127.0.0.1 apparently.

Ok, got it working now, but how do I make it accessible to the Internet now(without exposing my whole HD to the whole web of course :lol:), do note I'm behind a router and I've got more PCs connected to it.

Still having the same problem, I think I found the cause though: localhost doesn't resolve to 127.0.0.1(or the other way around). If I type 127.0.0.1/proxy I get the right page, but if I type localhost/proxy it just won't connect(127.0.0.1 leads to the control panel, where localhost leads to nowhere, again).

So I Googled it and some people told it might be an issue with the hosts file, but that seems perfectly fine to me. ( '127.0.0.1 localhost') Some people also suggested that IPv6 might have something to do with it, which I do have installed I believe, so now I'm uninstalling IPv6...

Edit: Uninstalled IPv6 and it it does work(localhot), going to see if I can configure it for Internet access also. (Funny thing, to be sure I can access it from anywhere I will need to use a proxy to access my proxy :lol:)

• Administrator

:fight: You are making me think about stuff i've no experience of :sneaky:

Just forward port 80 (or even better setup your Apache to operate at a different port) from your router to your host PC. You could also sign up to use some DynDNS service (so the URL is easier to remember) then you should be good to go....

I've hosted sites on my home PC before, but i've always used a VM and just setup NAT.

I've tried what you just said, but I've got a modem and a router.

It's setup like this:

ISP ---> Modem ---> Router ---> PC1, PC2, PC3. They all have a static IP.

If I type: localhost:7002/proxy, 127.0.0.1:7002/proxy or 192.168.2.xxx(static IP of my PC):7002/proxy then it will show my page.

So to make it work on my IP(195.240.xxx.xxx, the 'outside IP') I would have to forward the connections from my modem to my router to my PC. To do so I disabled my modem's firewall(the router has a firewall after all) AND forwarded the port 7002 to the router(which is double, I know, but I wanted to be sure), then in my router I forwarded the port 7002 to my private IP(192.168.2.xxx). But now when I type 195.240.xxx.xxx:7002/proxy I can't get access to my site(nothing will load). I've got the feeling my modem is causing the problem... (Or some setting that denies access from anywhere but my PC maybe?)

Maybe it's my router though, I just tried visiting my router's IP with :7002 added, if I'm correct this should lead me to the site as well, but it doesn't(since any connection with port 7002 should be forwarded to my PC, no?).

Edit: I checked again now using the IP that my modem assigned to my router(192.168.1.xx, instead of the IP I use to contact the router normally) and this did work, so I guess I narrowed it down to my modem being the problem, but I've no idea on how to solve it as I forwarded it in any possible way...

Edit: I checked again, now from PC2. I tried both my PC1's IP(192.168.2.xxx) and my router IP(assigned by the modem, 192.168.1.xxx), both didn't work... So there seems to be some kind of setting or the like that is blocking anything outside my PC1 from accessing the site.

• Administrator

What about the firewall on your PC? Have you allowed inbound connections on port 7002?

What about the firewall on your PC? Have you allowed inbound connections on port 7002?

I did turn it off whilst testing, also tried it with on but I never got any result/message.

Ok, thanks for your help Lite, it's working now :P

You all have a lot of hard drive space ;)

Do I? I don't think so :P

Archived