Cant read audio cds?

PsychoticxBloodxLust

PsychoticxBloodxLust

ok so i havn't inserted an audio cd into my pc in ages well maybe since i rebuit, but anyway any play i use errors out on any and all audio cds i insert. burned or orginal.

Its a sony dvd rw dru-v200s sata drive.

no firmware update N/A as there is not one lsited witht he manufactures website.

it will make backup copies of an orginal and they paly else ware so i sense software issues anyidea?

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PsychoticxBloodxLust

that the worst part i ran their diagnostic uilty and it found nothing maybe a fresh install will fix it when i upgrade my system next

EDIT: I feel the issue isn't hardware related now, but software related

LOL.. You built this thing so I know its not just a simple Auto-Play issue ..OMG..LOL

What program are you using to play the CD's?

Have you tried other software?

Checked Digital/Analog Settings in Windows Media Player > Options > Devices? ( settings change have any effect )

Have you checked the device properties ( right-click drive > Properties > Recording/Playback ) to make sure there isn't a setting that may be disabling the device from being used for playback? ( specific to your hardware possibly.. )

Checked for the most recent version of the Codec Pack you are using? ( long shot.. but worth a try )

My Phillips.. which s obsolete now.. went through a phase with firmware.. was released by the Computer manufacturer, then by the main ( so I thought ) company.. and then traced down the latest firmware to DELL, as these things were bought from DELL and used by the manu...in my system as OEM..after Phillips no longer supported it... It fixed it.. but it was interesting.....

PsychoticxBloodxLust
LOL.. You built this thing so I know its not just a simple Auto-Play issue ..OMG..LOL

What program are you using to play the CD's?

Have you tried other software?

Checked Digital/Analog Settings in Windows Media Player > Options > Devices? ( settings change have any effect )

Have you checked the device properties ( right-click drive > Properties > Recording/Playback ) to make sure there isn't a setting that may be disabling the device from being used for playback? ( specific to your hardware possibly.. )

Checked for the most recent version of the Codec Pack you are using? ( long shot.. but worth a try )

My Phillips.. which s obsolete now.. went through a phase with firmware.. was released by the Computer manufacturer, then by the main ( so I thought ) company.. and then traced down the latest firmware to DELL, as these things were bought from DELL and used by the manu...in my system as OEM..after Phillips no longer supported it... It fixed it.. but it was interesting.....

i ahve tried itunes wmp, and videolan, codec are default other than divx all settings are default i have tried changing them hopeing for a different result to no change in it, i might just try the ccc codec pack or something lol doesn't really bother me as much as it does the g/f

• Administrator

Have you install a media program before the problem occurred? Uninstall quick time and then try it. Itunes won't work after that but quick time is the culprit in most of these type of cases.

PsychoticxBloodxLust
Have you install a media program before the problem occurred? Uninstall quick time and then try it. Itunes won't work after that but quick time is the culprit in most of these type of cases.

the removal of quick time didn't help :-(

the removal of quick time didn't help :-(

EDIT:

Okay I just went and looked at a Vista Ultimate System.. its installed on an archaic system which barely runs.. BUT everything I just typed above is completely wrong for Vista so I removed it.. was right for XP.. but WAAAYY off otherwise..

About the only thing I ran across was in the drive properties...which stated something in the global settings about closing the UDF sessions so that the disc(s) could be played in other computers... This happened to me before when transferring things from Vista Ultimate to XP and I thought I had somehow enabled Bit Encryption for the data... but it would not play...and I could not access the data on the disc I burned with Vista..even though it showed up... But if it was written with this system then it should play..or show to be playing...To be honest I am out of solutions or even ideas other than that...

Sorry I couldn't help..

There was one thing in the Device settings, where for each device ( Speakers, Mic, ETC..) There was a volume setting. I noticed that the CD Player had a volume/mute setting....

PsychoticxBloodxLust

ya i wish it was it was only muted, its sad because i'll put an orgianl cd open it with a said program and it will play about 20 sec then error out give me corruptions on all the tracks. same disc plays fine in vista laptop so i'm thinking maybe a codec somewhere got crossed recording works fine its just playback. its not really a big deal I'll wipeing my system the first of the year and possibly preping for an install of win7

ya i wish it was it was only muted, its sad because i'll put an orgianl cd open it with a said program and it will play about 20 sec then error out give me corruptions on all the tracks. same disc plays fine in vista laptop so i'm thinking maybe a codec somewhere got crossed recording works fine its just playback. its not really a big deal I'll wipeing my system the first of the year and possibly preping for an install of win7

installed K lite mega pack?

installed any audio firmeware updates? found that gateway had a bad one for theirs when i indtalled it on my kids computer. no audio afterwards. had to install the realtek drivers to get sound again.

speaker problems?

hook up an external dvd/cd drive and test that again your system you already have.

PsychoticxBloodxLust

installed K lite mega pack?

installed any audio firmeware updates? found that gateway had a bad one for theirs when i indtalled it on my kids computer. no audio afterwards. had to install the realtek drivers to get sound again.

speaker problems?

hook up an external dvd/cd drive and test that again your system you already have.

confused external drive does the same thing

uninstalled wmp and reinstlled ited it work great now werid shit like i said before lol

One thing I just didn't say earlier was ..

Have you used a registry cleaner or optimizer.. like Vista Manager by Yamicsoft or anything on it?

Sometimes a few of the wrong entries van be cleaned, and some of the settings in the optimizers could have effect on the way it responds to it..I have had a lot of issues like that in the past..Sometimes from some of this WONDERFUL software we find..( little undesired programmatic and systematic function and changes to the registry.. )..LOL...Sometimes from bugs in programs...Sometimes from us being WAY too on-top of our systems..Well at least me anyway..LOL

PsychoticxBloodxLust

i don't use anything like that,

i clean my registry my registry by hand as well as files and folders i keep everything organized and since i run vista i ahve the disk defragmenter sent to run everyday at dinner time and for that reason it only take about 15-25mins to run

i don't even use an antimalware outside of nod32 av not even a firewall, cause i close all the prots i' don't use and only have the ones i need open.

ontop of that i do clean install of my system every 4-6 months do to system upgrades and or basic driver changes as i slipstream my own OS cd with the latest sp's and all my system drivers :-)

and i keep all my software that i used backed up on my external in which before i wipe i always makesure all my software is up todate so it saves on intial registry bloat and i'm sure my system will be stable right off the bat takes some extra time and work, but what can say i don't belive in fighting software with more software lol besides if you know what your doing you can do a much better job that any software application out there.

its like always say to catch a hacker or a virus you must me smarter than the hacker, virus, or AI

• Administrator

Only MBAM cannot help every time.

true , but the prob seems well freaky- worth trying...?

PsychoticxBloodxLust

true , but the prob seems well freaky- worth trying...?

it working now, i just had to reinstall wmp11 and readjust my soundmax driver settings

• Administrator

So at-last it was a driver problem. Somehow I tend to forget to mention some important points. ANW it's good you have solved it.

Archived