Lag

Guest Tard

• Replies 17
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RAM = Memory.

Memory = Money.

Aside from defragmenting your hard drive, anything you want to do with regards to what you're after will cost money.

• Administrator

A new processer/ graphics card will also help. For an online game, upgrade your connection to something faster.

would help to know what he actually has too. i got the feeling its a hand-me-down.

what RAM mean???? free?? gimme link

This should be in Jestors booth.. :lol:

Whats the model number of ur Compac .. ?

everyone's forgetting 1 crucial detail, YOU CAN'T UPGRADE COMPAQS! they only come with enough PCI slots, shitty, for what they come with (1 for modem, 1 for sound card, etc). then they just leave the other ports where the other slots should go completely empty (ie. you can the bare points on the MOBO where the slots were suppost to be soldered on). and two, there's no jumper for disabling the onboard GPU, which makes installing a new graphics card IMPOSSIBLE :lol:

..dells are the same way now, if it isn't in it when you order it forget about it...

@Tard - get a new computer, HP is good :P

edit: you may be able to upgrade your memory, if you know how much you currently have, can figure out the proper speed to get, and are sure it isn't embedded like the GPU :lol:

everyone's forgetting 1 crucial detail, YOU CAN'T UPGRADE COMPAQS!

I didnt know that abut compaqs, isnt HP the same way?

LemonHead2089

ya i got a HP and im thinkin about adding some RAM to it. except mine HP is about 2 & a 1/2 years old... so ya. does anyone know where i could buy some good ram at some low prices. i wanna add about a gig

• Administrator

Well first you should check if your motherboard will support that much RAM ;) . Then try something like newegg or tigerdirect

LemonHead2089

ya i already checked. i can fit two 512 MB in two different slots ;) i checked newegg and it was not exactly wat i was lookin for. will look at tigerdirect

everyone's forgetting 1 crucial detail, YOU CAN'T UPGRADE COMPAQS! they only come with enough PCI slots, shitty, for what they come with (1 for modem, 1 for sound card, etc). then they just leave the other ports where the other slots should go completely empty (ie. you can the bare points on the MOBO where the slots were suppost to be soldered on).

..dells are the same way now, if it isn't in it when you order it forget about it...

@Tard - get a new computer, HP is good :P

Compacs do have extra slots for upgrades...

3 PCI slot is something I believe almost all the system both HP and Compac have

they both are the same company afterall...

Sound is in 95% of the times in built on the mboard...

Compac systems do have upgrade options for graphic cards

now that would depend on the mboard after all if the option is provided or not...

Just checked Compaq Presario desktop PC SR1151nx(just one that I opened)

there is a PCIE slot...

and two, there's no jumper for disabling the onboard GPU, which makes installing a new graphics card IMPOSSIBLE ;)

I have had customers who have upgraded there GPUs with no issues...so it is certainly not IMPOSSIBLE

edit: you may be able to upgrade your memory, if you know how much you currently have, can figure out the proper speed to get, and are sure it isn't embedded like the GPU ;)

The memory can always be upgraded...in most systems(within the last 2 years) to around 4 Gb(as if anyone would require that much)

The hp.com website always provides u with the info of what kinda mem u can purchase..using the product # or model #

I have an HP that is about 5 or 6 yrs old I just recently upgraded the ram from 64 to 256 mb from new egg for less than 30.00 $you are best off if you are not familiar with it to pull out your card and look at it to match it up because there are several different cards they go by pin count mine is a 168 pin sdram pc 133 card 128 mb for under 12 $ I could bump it 512 for 60$ plus s&h 1 gig for about 130$ plus s&h 2 gig close to 600$ over 512 isnt worth it cheaper to upgrade to a new sys. 1 gig isnt too awful steep but without a good sound card and better processor and larger hd anything over 512 wouldnt make a big difference it actually does great for what i use it for with 256 but for gaming it would never cut the mustard without a large chunk of change ;)

I have a HP computer too but never bothered with upgrading it since it it already 4 years old. Sucks for gaming. Bought LOTR game for the computer about 2 years ago and haven't gotten to play it yet. Might get a new one soon.

Compacs do have extra slots for upgrades...

i'll take your word for it, it has been like 8 years since i've even seen a compaq so :D

Archived