AAAAAAAAAAGH! I LOST MY DRIVERS!

Guest cheese

I lost the drivers to my laptop and it needs to have the hard drive formatted and winXP reinstalled. BUT I GOT NO DRIVER CD's that came with the laptop. however i do have all the devices currently installed with the drivers, and i have had tham backed up by "the best driver backup software" that i found (www.drivermagician.com/) :dance2: :dance: :P

Before i format my hard disk, i wanna know something.

Driver magician backed up all my drivers into a setup file. If i format and reinstall XP and then, open that setup file (created by driver magician) and install the drivers back, will Windows' driver search application find the drivers and install them (like it would if i popped in the HP driver's cd that came with my laptop)? just being wary...

• Replies 7
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I lost the drivers to my laptop and it needs to have the hard drive formatted and winXP reinstalled. BUT I GOT NO DRIVER CD's that came with the laptop. however i do have all the devices currently installed with the drivers, and i have had tham backed up by "the best driver backup software" that i found (www.drivermagician.com/) :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Before i format my hard disk, i wanna know something.

Driver magician backed up all my drivers into  a  setup file. If i format and reinstall XP and then, open that setup file  (created by driver magician) and install the drivers back, will Windows' driver search application find the drivers and install them (like it would if i popped in the HP driver's cd that came with my laptop)? just being wary...

your laptop should came with a restore cd disk? or a paration d: drive that is the restore. try repair option on winxp

Personally I believe the best way to do what you're after would be to manually download all the drivers from the web. Most, if not all would have been updated since you last used them.

I have my own "personal" folder inside which I have several others such as "Documents", "Drivers", "Games", "Patches", "Program Files" and so forth. Every 2-3 months I make a backup of the main folder to a DVD in the event of something going tragically wrong. Maybe something you should think about? I wouldn't trust a 3rd party app saving my drivers TBH. Nothing beats doing it your own way, because then you're 100% sure you have the latest and greatest.

your laptop should came with a restore cd disk?  or a paration d: drive that is the restore.  try repair option on winxp

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope. i have a hp pavilion zv5000, dont come with D:/ partition or restore disk, only came with XP disc and drivers disk and random software. what does REPAIR do exactly? i've never tried that!

if you can use the computer at all try using driver genius to pull out the drivers and copy them to a disk. if that doesnt work win xp has a lot of drivers on it and usually will detect what you have and automatically install the right drivers for your hardware to work at least enough to go to the sites of your hardware manufacturers to download the latest drivers if that doesnt work try using another computer to go online to your hardware manufacturers sites download the drivers to a disk and install them from there

• 2 weeks later...
hehehe i got customer support from HP they gave me all the drivers...AWESOME!

U would mean tech support...

Cust support just transfers the calls...

Basically of no use ^_^

Archived