tablet

bruinator

Hi Guys, I am hoping to get your guys opinion on 2 tablets. One is the samsung galaxy tab s 3gb ram 32gb space 10.5 screen and MS surface 2 3gb ram 32gb space 10.6 screen?

Basically, I will be using it for playing tv programs or movies, internet access and casual things like that.

Opinions plz.

• Replies 5
  • Views 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would put one vote here for the Surface 2.. It will still be running Windows RT 8.1.. BUT it is the same OS as my Lumia Tablets ( only 0.5 inch difference in screen size ) As far as the specs are concerned.. I think the Surface is only 2 GB RAM.. and dual core..1.7 with turbo to 2.4, 1366 x 768...

The Tab S has an extra GB of RAM.. nice.. and the screen is a bit bigger.. but not by much.. and the resolution is a little higher.. 2560 x 1600... The processor could be a little better.. for the price.. I wouldn't like it.. compared to the other two...

The tablets I have are SnapDragon 800 Quad Core 2.2 GHz.. with 2GB RAM.. Qualcomm Hardware.. it has excellent processing power and never any signs of bottlenecks or need for more using a tablet.. I use it to Miracast to my TV of network files, Has Office as well.. use it for everything.. It also has USB 3.0 speed... and working HDMI Micro support ( which I also use for Movies.. you have to get the right cable though ).. Was great for work and at Home.. To me I would choose it over this model.. where you will pay about the same price online.. Max Res is 1920 x 1080.. Excellent for movies.. ( less common video files require maybe an extra app but you can do it all.. 10.1" Screen.. two camera ( Zeiss ) and Mics.. great sound.. with multiple outputs ( and HDMI Sound output..)

I wouldn't want anything less than what I have in the way of a tablet.. Now if you could get a Surface Pro 3.. for that price range I think it would be a steal plus it has full OS support unlike the others which will allow on Apps to do most ( which is covered in MS.. and Android both usually, Like MS Apps better though )

Between the two I would say the Tab S, ( not the Surface 2 but I would go with Windows RT for these types of applications ).. BUT I would say there are a few better options to go with in same price range.. and better support and capabilities outside of Droid.. ChromeCasting for example is crap... HDMI support would be the way to go.. but you would be as limited as the player in some cases.. if your doing Wireless broadcasting.. and even using Headphones with your TV the Windows RT version is the way to go in my opinion.. with a Wireless Adapter for MS... it just works and is like plugging in a second screen.. with good picture and resolution.. as well as sound broadcasting and so on..

Really is hard to make that decision other than weighing it out.. IMO. :P

HX1, my background is windows. Would I be better off withe the surface 2 then? I want the better of the 2 named. I guess i could learn the android system by using utube as my trainor.

My background is Windows too.. I would say the Surface for that reason but it has low processing power and resolution.. If your going to be watching videos and such.. that resolution will still look great BUT.. if you project that resolution then you might have some formatting issues.. I would look into Extended screen capabilities of the Surface first .. just to be sure.. The Samsung has a higher resolution.. but it counts when your project your screen to something.. I have played around with Android HDMI connections a little and they seem to be great as far as picture is concerned on the TV's I have tested.... but I would take my Tablet over it any day of the week.. ( On a 50" 1080p ) Better color.. more capability with what I am used to using ( easier to fix something too )

( or Look at one of the Lumia 2520's you can get one for around $200 NIB.. )

SO.. just saying.. HDMI cable ran $5... MWDA ran $70... either and or.. some Miracast capable dongle for the Monitor/V...

My background is Windows too.. I would say the Surface for that reason but it has low processing power and resolution.. If your going to be watching videos and such.. that resolution will still look great BUT.. if you project that resolution then you might have some formatting issues.. I would look into Extended screen capabilities of the Surface first .. just to be sure.. The Samsung has a higher resolution.. but it counts when your project your screen to something.. I have played around with Android HDMI connections a little and they seem to be great as far as picture is concerned on the TV's I have tested.... but I would take my Tablet over it any day of the week.. ( On a 50" 1080p ) Better color.. more capability with what I am used to using ( easier to fix something too )

( or Look at one of the Lumia 2520's you can get one for around $200 NIB.. )

SO.. just saying.. HDMI cable ran $5... MWDA ran $70... either and or.. some Miracast capable dongle for the Monitor/TV...

I don't like Windows RT because it does not run native Windows code.. so you can't use x86 or x64 based apps.

There are more app choices on android.. Plus most of the basic Win apps have Android counterparts.

If you'd lean to Windows ecosystem, make sure the tablet is the real Win 8.1 or Win 10 not the pos Win RT

Archived