Microsoft Admits It Accidentally Forced the Windows 10 Upgrade on Windows 7 PCs

Batu69

“It was just a mistake,” a Microsoft spokesperson said

As we reported to you yesterday, a number of users that were still running Windows 7 on their PCs had been forced to upgrade to Windows 10, with Windows Update providing no other option than to restart the computer and start the install.

Although at first it wasn’t very clear what exactly happened because the Windows 10 upgrade was supposed to be optional in the first place, a statement released by the software giant to Ars confirms that it was all just a mistake.

Basically, the optional upgrade to Windows 10, which was… er… optional, was checked by default, which means that it was automatically downloaded and installed on Windows 7 PCs. The company says that it all happened accidentally and has since removed this configuration to make sure that users are still allowed to choose if they want to install Windows 10 or not.

“As part of our effort to bring Windows 10 to existing genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers, the Windows 10 upgrade may appear as an optional update in the Windows Update (WU) control panel. This is an intuitive and trusted place people go to find Recommended and Optional updates to Windows. In the recent Windows update, this option was checked as default; this was a mistake and we are removing the check,” the full statement reads.

You can still delay the upgrade

At first, it was believed that installing Windows 10 was the only option for PCs impacted by this change, but it wasn’t. Actually, users could view the optional updates selected for install and uncheck the Windows 10 upgrade manually. What’s more, the Windows 10 installer needs users’ confirmation to begin, so there are several ways to stop the upgrade from happening if you just want to stick to the existing OS version.

But this is clearly no excuse from Microsoft and for many, it’s hard to believe it was just a mistake. Not when the company needs to upgrade as many people as possible to Windows 10.

Source

• Replies 24
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good on you Microsoft for admitting your "fault" now be honest in future.

When ever I plugged my new windows 8.1 Dell in it ask me do I want to setup the internet so i hit the button on the router it installed updates to upgrade to windows 10 before it finish installing this dont sound like a mistake to me . It sounds like Microsoft PR trying to weasel out of the fact they try to force windows 10 on people . I guess they didn't mean to put all those other spyware updates in there ether or that get windows 10 app in June . :lol:

Don't people ever get sick of hearing about Windows 10 ? Ill be glad when its not free no more and all the hype stops . Microsoft never tells the truth even if there O/S is doing bad they will make like its doing good . :tooth:

Update:

Microsoft Now Says It’s Not Forcing the Windows 10 Upgrade on Windows 7 at All

The upgrade appears because users want it to, it says

This is getting really, really awkward. A number of users reported that the Windows 10 upgrade showed up on their computers and prompted for a system reboot to initialize the install even if they didn’t want to and in a statement released this morning, the company said that it all happened because of a mistake affecting the way updates are delivered to Windows 7 PCs.

The statement was received by Ars Technica and pretty much made sense, because this way the company acknowledges the problem and also promises to fix it as soon as possible.

It’s not our fault

But in a statement provided to us by a company spokesperson, Microsoft claims otherwise, and explains that actually, it’s not all its fault.

Basically, what Microsoft is telling us is that consumers who get the reboot to install Windows 10 prompt are only seeing it because they previously opted for the upgrade and that window is the last step of the process. In other words, you’ve chosen to install Windows 10 and that screen is a confirmation that everything was ready for the upgrade to be initialized.

“The image customers are seeing is related to existing Windows 7 and 8 customers who have already opted in to the Windows 10 upgrade and this is the last step in the process. Recently we added the option to reschedule the W10 upgrade based on customer feedback,” the statement reads.

Now, it turns out that Microsoft also provides this option to reschedule the Windows 10 upgrade, which is kind of weird because no user ever mentioned such a possibility. It might be available now that the upgrade is no longer selected by default, but previously when complaints about everything being performed automatically reached the web, there was no such thing in Windows Update.

Clearly, this whole saga isn’t going in the right direction and the confusion that such statements might cause doesn’t help at all, so we’ve reached out to Microsoft once against for some clarification and will update the article should an answer be provided.

Source-1

Source-2

Source-3

I don't see it. It is a different topic. My topic is based on Source-3 link.

Its about the same exact thing When M$ post BS you can Google a 1000 articles in a few minutes telling the same story . I don't want read the same thing over and over again . It was M$ fault there the ones who put the updates in windows to began with if they were not trying force people to install it . They would just told people to dl the ISO and install it for free. They been trying to force it on people since June. -_- I even have PC with windows 10 but i don't like them trying to install windows 10 on my Windows 8.1 machine or my Windows 7 machine . Some people have VM I have PCS . :lol:

When ever I plugged my new windows 8.1 Dell in it ask me do I want to setup the internet so i hit the button on the router it installed updates to upgrade to windows 10 before it finish installing this dont sound like a mistake to me . It sounds like Microsoft PR trying to weasel out of the fact they try to force windows 10 on people . I guess they didn't mean to put all those other spyware updates in there ether or that get windows 10 app in June . :lol:

Don't people ever get sick of hearing about Windows 10 ? Ill be glad when its not free no more and all the hype stops . Microsoft never tells the truth even if there O/S is doing bad they will make like its doing good . :tooth:

Agreed. Steven36 is right. I had to install an app called GWX control panel on my computer to block the W10 icon on startup and block the W10 update from Windows Update. I was running Windows 7 Home on my laptop machine with an SSD installed and I didn't even realize that I didn't opt for the upgrade I just left the stupid icon alone, next thing I go and leave my computer on for a day while I am at work and when I get home I see that it has restarted and lo-and behold I see that icon now saying "get ready to install Windows 10" when I checked Windows updates, I had the click to upgrade to W10 now. Complete BS.

I downloaded the GWX Control Panel (google the program) ... it will let you disable the W10 upgrade and icon from your taskbar, does an amazing job, it shows me that Windows secretly downloaded 5.7GB onto my hard drive which pisses me off because its an SSD and I didn't want the W10 upgrade and it made almost 6GB of unnecessary writes to the drive, so its full of shit. Not to mention thank god I do not have a metered internet connection because if I did it would chew away at my bandwidth without me knowing wtf happened. I mean, what if I was tethered or somewhere remote using satellite internet which caps are metered and super expensive? MS is full of crap. I would recommend anyone to get that GWX Control Panel program and disable W10 upgrade and icon if you do not want the free upgrade. You can always run the program later on (before June 2016) if you decide you want to upgrade.

But personally, I would do this. Create a macrium reflect image of your W7 or W8.1 setup, upgrade to W10. Create a clean install of W10 activated. Then make another partition and restore your macrium reflect image of W7 or W8.1 and it still will remain activated. So you can dual boot with W7/8.1 and W10 and both will be activated. Even though this is against the stupid M$ EULA, it doesn't matter because f**k M$ and enjoy 2 copies of activated O/S :D. Have a nice day peeps.

6zsox2.png

e5ntcx.png

293uiiw.png

Its about the same exact thing When M$ post BS you can Google a 1000 articles in a few minutes telling the same story . I don't want read the same thing over and over again . It was M$ fault there the ones who put the updates in windows to began with if they were not trying force people to install it . They would just told people to dl the ISO and install it for free. They been trying to force it on people since June. -_- I even have PC with windows 10 but i don't like them trying to install windows 10 on my Windows 8.1 machine or my Windows 7 machine . Some people have VM I have PCS . :lol:

I understand and I'm mostly merging with the previous threads if possible. However, most people don't read new posts on the topic as they sort by topic name. The Forum Guidelines also recommend posting new topic for newer versions, why? It is mainly because, not all people read the posts hidden in a thread. So, the new version is not noticed.

Also, since Softpedia also has the update option, it didn't use it in their articles on this MS issue. Why? It is because, it is a serious issue regarding the trust that MS is playing with.

Finally, I'll go with what Mod thinks. If it has to be merged, I'm fine with it and as long as the info is shared to nsaners, I'm happy and done.

I understand and I'm mostly merging with the previous threads if possible. However, most people don't read new posts on the topic as they sort by topic name. The Forum Guidelines also recommend posting new topic for newer versions, why? It is mainly because, not all people read the posts hidden in a thread. So, the new version is not noticed.

Also, since Softpedia also has the update option, it didn't use it in their articles on this MS issue. Why? It is because, it is a serious issue regarding the trust that MS is playing with.

All you have to do is hit report button and they will fix it . It don't have nothing to do with a thread I started . So its not my job to report it . Its is the rules not to post the same thing and since M$ just said this its not and update to it.

I think everybody (but me) should install Windows 10. It is so easy to hack into and we are having so much fun doing so just for the hell of it.

I think everybody (but me) should install Windows 10. It is so easy to hack into and we are having so much fun doing so just for the hell of it.

I would not be bragging if I was a hacker on a public site . You may end in the same place as LulzSec , Lizard Squad, and Part of Anonymous did and that's Jail. You even told people what state you live in on here and use Gmail . :P

But I see were windows 10 could be a problem if you don't firewall it properly and if a hacker broke in my system that's windows 10 there's nothing to steal I do my banking on Windows 7 :lol:

I run Windows seven (7) pro SP1.

No prompts via notification area or Windows updates yet.

I don't even see the full download when I use Windows updates, like I do in my partners Windows eight ( 8) updates.

I am happy with seven (7).

I have a batch file that uninstalled all that crap before they was able to download windows 10 to my 8.1 system now its real easy to just hide any spy update they throw at me . I will check out GWX control panel for this other system I have though that I downgraded from windows 10 to windows 7 . I hardly ever run that PC anyways. Just a spare .

I would not be bragging if I was a hacker on a public site . You may end in the same place as LulzSec , Lizard Squad, and Part of Anonymous did and that's Jail. You even told people what state you live in on here and use Gmail . :P

But I see were windows 10 could be a problem if you don't firewall it properly and if a hacker broke in my system that's windows 10 there's nothing to steal I do my banking on Windows 7 :lol:

LOL! Not on the same side those idiots were on.

Actually anonymous are not idiots and this is technically posted in the link steven gave stop trying to be a post whore and up the number of post's you got and if your not being a post whore and up the number of post's you got pay better attention.

"Accidentally" my Aunt Fanny!

If any believes that Micro$oft "Accidentally" forced those upgrades, I got some Ocean front property in Arizona for sale.

Don't know why people are so upset... Microsoft apologised for getting caught out being sneaky and desperate to increase Windows 10 poor market share accidentally forcing Windows 10 upgrades. :)

• 3 weeks later...

the boneheads are everywhere it seems///even at microsoft it seems...and lots of them

:D

Not boneheads, very smart people with bad intentions.

My son got his laptop out of storage for me to check and update, yesterday.

It hasn't been used in six (6) months.

After updating five hundred and three (503) windows updates and all the software I noticed in notification area the symbol to upgrade to Windows Ten (10).

Still on my Windows seven (7) pro nothing.

I don't want ten (10).

I am happy with seven (7).

Archived