Firefox 3.5 Problem

DJPrice

I recently updated to the latest version of FF. Since updating I have noticed when I close FF a FF process is still open & I have to kill it within cachemanxp each time. The process runs around 50% of the cpu. Here's the screenshot: ffp.jpg Would be greatful for any help I get.

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

How this's possible. I mean firefox has only one process in me PC.

First try disabling your Firewall/AV and see if that does anything, if not then I'd recommend:

Export all your settings and write down your addons, remove Firefox from your computer, reboot and install it again, then first try using it with the default settings and then import your settings.

Bizarre™

Try completely unistalling Firefox, then reinstall.

OR

Try creating a new profile.

Here's how: Link

Agreed with shought and Bizarre.

Did you installed Firefox Optimizer, if you did......remove it....Firefox Optimizer will have a process running all the time, this is to ensure that you get into Internet much faster.

Remember that Firefox Optimizer is installed in the same directory as Mozilla FireFox.

I had tried it before, but found it not effective especially now Firefox 3.5 is much more effective that before.

First try disabling your Firewall/AV and see if that does anything, if not then I'd recommend:

Export all your settings and write down your addons, remove Firefox from your computer, reboot and install it again, then first try using it with the default settings and then import your settings.

I tried the above, but still didn't seem to work :P

Try completely unistalling Firefox, then reinstall.

OR

Try creating a new profile.

Here's how: Link

I tried creating a new profile, but still the problem is there.

Did you installed Firefox Optimizer, if you did......remove it....Firefox Optimizer will have a process running all the time, this is to ensure that you get into Internet much faster.

Remember that Firefox Optimizer is installed in the same directory as Mozilla FireFox.

I had tried it before, but found it not effective especially now Firefox 3.5 is much more effective that before.

I have never installed FF optimizer.

After uninstalling & reinstalling FF things are worse. Now up to 4 processes can be left behind! :D I don't know what is causing this problem, but along with true image home not working, I think I may format & reinstall, but don't really want to do that as it takes too long getting things back to normal!

After uninstalling, did you still see the processes? (firefox.exe).

If you do, you will need to remove the registries or Firefox and delete the Mozilla folder in Appdata too.

Clean it up before installing Firefox again.

• Administrator

I'm sure there is a fix for this.

After uninstalling, did you still see the processes? (firefox.exe).

If you do, you will need to remove the registries or Firefox and delete the Mozilla folder in Appdata too.

Clean it up before installing Firefox again.

No because it only happens after closing FF.

Try this: Link

I tried that, but didn't work.

Here's the link to a threa I made over at mozilla:- http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum...8&forumId=1 As I said on the thread, IE seems to be doing the same thing, but when I load IE another process starts, so there are 2 running & then when I close there around 3-4 processes.

• Administrator

Are you sure your PC isn't infected?

Bizarre™

@DJPrice:

Do you still have the option to use System Restore?

Try restoring to a date when you aren't experiencing this problem.

Last resort....use Combofix.

Wait for it to scan and reboot your pc.

• Administrator

Which one you are using, I mean BETA or the normal one?

If any of you are following the threa over at mozilla, you will see the problem is sorted for me now. If your not then the problem was being caused by comodo safesurf. Here's the last post I made on the thread:- "Disabling SafeSurf in the settings & then exiting & finally uninstalling it worked for me with both FF & IE processes being left open after exiting them. Thanks guys for your help & solution to this, it saves me having to format & reinstall!" Thanks guys for trying to help me out with the problem ;)

Are we? Oh, yeah, right, we are, for sure! :D

;)

Nah, seriously :hehe:

• Administrator

So you didn't tried running the Firefox in safe mode at first?

Oh well good luck at firefoxing.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny you should say that, I downloaded it the other day just to check it out and see what it does. I went into the Help area of the program to get more details on the settings... What I found were setting changes which mimicked those in Opera.

I, personally have better options using Fasterfox Lite... I am pretty sure a lot of you remember Fasterfox from version 2 of the program.. there were following full releases of the extensions released as experimental addons...Fasterfox Lite seems to be the best one yet.. using TurboCharged settings...I used to use custom.. but I am pretty sure I overloaded RFC specs...and possibly my connection at some point...LOL..but yeah Turbo seems to be more efficient...I also have Cfos Speed installed, and have used the Half-Open Limiter Fix.. which I have seen around.. though I believe cfos patches this when it is installed the first time.. which takes care of the whole system not just your browser..

Also I seen someone mention 'writing down all of yur extensions.. FEBE is an extension that will enable you to back up MOST of your settings in FF, extensions, and themes( even the ones we've hacked ), accompanied with OPIE, you can also harvest your settings for all of them...in individual files or as one file..

I wish BossKey 0.1.8 would come up for version 3.5.1...that and LeetKey 1.4.2.. the only extensions I am missing as of late, though I have used MrTech Toolkit to make them compatible without issues until then....

You can use Fasterfox lite......no problem. You can also manually tweaks firefox setting (can be found in the Tut page).

3.5.1 is already very fast. Not really necessary to tweak.

cfosspeed is more for traffic management especially if you are using P2P downloading.

I have use it and found it useful....but others might not agree.

Archived