AdBlock Plus accused of paying off other ad blockers to let some ads through

Batu69

• Replies 35
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AdBlock Plus has a monetization strategy it calls “Acceptable Ads.” The scheme allows AdBlock partners to serve white list ads that the AdBlock Plus plug-in, by default, will not block on computers or mobile devices even while the plug-in is running. As a result, users will still see these ads even if they believe all ads are being blocked, and AdBlock Plus will enjoy a cut of the revenue.

Check out the Adblock Plus guide for the 2 simple steps on overcoming the “Acceptable Ads.” implementation.

As a matter of provision, another illustration added to the Disabling Non-intrusive Advertising section.

Adblock Plus (ADP) rules crafted specially for SoftexiaAdblock Plus since uBlock does not have the capability to create advanced rules of this level.

Needless to state that executing a batu (copy-paste) of those rules work for haters of Adblock Plus, as well. :rasta:

Do you even use dynamic filtering? I can ban all those images by folder with uBlock. One rule per folder, as opposed to per extension per folder.

As someone who blocks everything by default, I strongly prefer uBlock, and I don't see any ads there anyway. I look and see they are in the lists that I use.

That sounds like more a matter of default lists vs extensions themselves. I have a lot of lists loaded, vs just EasyList+EasyPrivacy.

Point is I didn't need special config to handle that site ads. But I need special handling for every site because I purposely block everything except 1st party CSS and images by default.

Adblock Plus (ADP) rules crafted specially for SoftexiaAdblock Plus since uBlock does not have the capability to create advanced rules of this level.

Needless to state that executing a batu (copy-paste) of those rules work for haters of Adblock Plus, as well. :rasta:

Do you even use dynamic filtering? I can ban all those images by folder with uBlock. One rule per folder, as opposed to per extension per folder.

As someone who blocks everything by default, I strongly prefer uBlock, and I don't see any ads there anyway. I look and see they are in the lists that I use.

That sounds like more a matter of default lists vs extensions themselves. I have a lot of lists loaded, vs just EasyList+EasyPrivacy.

Point is I didn't need special config to handle that site ads. But I need special handling for every site because I purposely block everything except 1st party CSS and images by default.

Would like to see a demonstration — can we race your uBlock against my Adblock Plus?

I would like to prefer uBlock, too — unfortunately, it does not detect the entries which only Adblock Plus is able to (followed by Adguard.)

Let's compare notes on 2baksa — we publish our results, right here (then, we list down our block rules for the benefit of fellow members.) F3h9xqz.gif

Moved on from ABP to Adblock Edge good while back.

Tried uBlock but it's shit. Causes problems with some sites and doesnt block on others. Had zero issues using ABE.

Moved on from ABP to Adblock Edge good while back.

Tried uBlock but it's shit. Causes problems with some sites and doesnt block on others. Had zero issues using ABE.

You be better off using ABP and just disabling accepted ads If you dont like Ublock . ABE is Discontinued in favor of Ublock Origin. Even that devopler seen the light.. sooner or latter you're going to have to switch to something else anyways . You know its crap when people who do forks of it stopped once Ublock Origin came to Firefox. :P

The person who made ABE uses ublock o :lol: ABE showed there has been nothing changed in years . ABE was based on Adblock Plus version 2.1.2 and worked exactly the same as the newest ABP . I can disable adblock on sites were adblock was banned and ublock o will still protect me from malware it will block any other site it tries to load that is in the blacklist. .ABP cant do that they removed that feature long ago.

This came from a page were i have ublock 0 disabled and still ublock 0 blocked the hijack attempt

NNADBsp.png

People use ABP or forks off it are only worried about cosmetic mostly and not security . ;)

Would like to see a demonstration — can we race your uBlock against my Adblock Plus?

I would like to prefer uBlock, too — unfortunately, it does not detect the entries which only Adblock Plus is able to (followed by Adguard.)

Let's compare notes on 2baksa — we publish our results, right here (then, we list down our block rules for the benefit of fellow members.) F3h9xqz.gif

Adblock Plus is waiting patiently for the awesome uBlock to enter the match arena — to duel, especially against the magical Dynamic Filtering. :sleep:

Archived