Disable Photo Sharing on MSN Live Messenger

LeetPirate

LeetPirate

For those of you like me who are pissed at that pack of shit feature called photo sharing on MSN Live Messenger then this guide is for you. Disabling this will cause the messenger to revert to the regular file transfer when you drag a photo into the chat window. Just like back in the older versions where you could actually see whether the other person saved the file or not and it does not take up the entire window. For months I have been hating that stupid feature and even more in the latest version of WLM since Microshits decided to remove the option to disable photo sharing altogether.

I finally decided to search and found a fix on within windows blog here: photo-sharing-feature-in-live-messenger-kill-it-dead.

Basically the steps are as follows:

Open msnmsgr.exe with a hex editor (like XVI32), go to offset 16392F, and replace the conditional jump byte 74 with unconditional jump byte EB. If the bytes differ, ensure you're using the latest (at time of writing) build of Windows Live Messenger (14.0.8064.206).

Easy quick fix, you can do it in under 1 min and voila. Post questions if you need any help with the hex editor. The source guide expects that you know a thing or two about xvi32 but for those unfamiliar with it, after you open the msnmsgr.exe just press CTRL+G to load the search box and type 16392F in the box, the options should be on hex and absolute address by default so no changes needed, also ignore the $ in the search box.

Once you press enter, you will be on the value 74, just type EB and you should see it change real time, don't type anything else because it auto flows into the next address so it will highlight the box next to the one you just edited. Press save and then exit.

• Replies 2
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Can someone tell me how to disable any file sharing in yahoo?

Archived