How To Install Windows Media Center In Windows 10

212eta

Just like other classic Windows features, whenever Microsoft discontinues a feature or program,

Windows enthusiasts and developers try their level best to bring classic features to the

newest version of Windows.

In this case, some developers and Windows enthusiasts have managed install and run

Windows Media Center on the final build of Windows 10!

(by intowindows)

• Replies 15
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
blazeblaze456

Just like other classic Windows features, whenever Microsoft discontinues a feature or program,

Windows enthusiasts and developers try their level best to bring classic features to the

newest version of Windows.

In this case, some developers and Windows enthusiasts have managed install and run

Windows Media Center on the final build of Windows 10!

(by intowindows)

Can Media center be installed only in win 10 pro?

See I would want it updated into the NOW.. and redesigned.. :P

Weird how this always happens.. going all the way back to Alky Sidebar... running on XP instead of Vista.. ( and yes supposedly you can still do that too )..

The only thing I would see having it for would be cable.. but its sort of an old thing now too.. ( Plus where I am at.. crappy cable TV service.. unless you pay double to three times the amount of Sat service like Dish, DirectTV or something.. and even then your paying almost $200 a month )

Microsoft removes WMC in Windows 10, offers a DVD player app

Microsoft decided to discontinue Windows Media Center in Windows 10, so the new operating system doesn’t come with the famous entertainment software, as the software giant hopes that all the apps pre-installed in the new OS version can compensate for the lack of WMC.

That’s not happening though and despite the free DVD player that Microsoft is offering to users who upgrade from a WMC version of Windows, many still want the media pack to be available in Windows 10.

And fortunately, there’s now a way to do that easily, but keep in mind that it’s all unofficial and Microsoft does not encourage anyone to use third-party tricks like this one to use Windows Media Center.

The workaround to install Windows Media Center on Windows 10 was posted on MDL forums (via WindowsCentral) and there’s still no statement from Microsoft regarding it, so it’s hard to tell whether the company has any plans to block it in a future OS update or not.

How to install it

Before everything, make sure you create a backup of Windows 10, just to be on the safe side in case something goes wrong.

What you need before getting started is this Windows Media Center addon and Windows 10, either build 10240, which is the RTM version we all got on July 29, or 10532, the first preview build released to insiders after the grand debut of the OS.

Unpack the archive and run the file called "_TestRights.cmd" with administrator rights. You should see a command prompt initializing and running some commands. If this happens, everything goes right. When the process ends, reboot your computer, open the extracted folder and run “Installer.cm” with administrator privileges.

Once the install comes to an end, you should be able to run Windows Media Center just like in Windows 7 and 8.1. The icon should be pinned to the taskbar for easy access.

From

Well done

but

How well does it runs with a TV signal?
Around 2 seconds delay provided you've an antenna direct connected to your PC.
I recap their issue ever since I’m an official betatester (year 2003) from M$,
They even provided a load computer case for testing purpose (rare user were selected, around 800, international-wise).
The HUGE problems was IT never synchronize with real TV signal & that 2 seconds still remain.
So, there's useless to install that MCE nowadays.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
:P

Hi

This stuff don't work :( , It' the second time that I try, an it look like is a joke lol

first try I made is with 10.0.10134 (downloaded froman italian blog), Installation ok , Start ok, but my TV Card is not recognized but the card works fine with Nerovision or A french free software called Meumeuh TV (what a name :D lol !!)

second try, with version 6.3.9600 proviided here, installation ok, but program don't start (nothing happend)

Sad ! :( :(

Hi

This stuff don't work :( , It' the second time that I try, an it look like is a joke lol

first try I made is with 10.0.10134 (downloaded froman italian blog), Installation ok , Start ok, but my TV Card is not recognized but the card works fine with Nerovision or A french free software called Meumeuh TV (what a name :D lol !!)

second try, with version 6.3.9600 proviided here, installation ok, but program don't start (nothing happend)

Sad ! :( :(

You're lucky...I can't get it to install! :frusty:

Hi,

Thanks for Update, some improvements made, now changing language works ! (It don't in Previous versions 6.0.xx and 10.0.xx), but for my TV card nothing has changed :( , maybe it's for the next update

Hi,

Only English version with this latest, like all previous 6.0.xx version posted here and still no TV card detected , with WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0_x64_revised french is available,

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, M M Aaqib said:

still working or not ?

I haven't tried but with WMC unsupported by Microsoft and the unsuccessful stories i've read here and other places about forcing it... I'd try Kodi https://kodi.tv/ It does what WMC did and more! It also gets updated to keep up with the many changes M$ implements on Windows 10.

Archived