Shocker: Almost Nobody Uses Microsoft's Edge Windows 10 Browser

Batu69

Hmmm Firefox is for whimps huh? What do you use Google Chrome? Now that's for losers and I would rather be a whimp than a loser any day!!! Don't get me started on Edge, cause it's a joke! Better than Internet Explorer, but that's not saying much! To qoute Stan Lee "Nuff said"! Yours Scott

Same browser your momma uses, Internet Explorer.

I am sorry to inform, but my Mother does not use Internet Explorer. However she does use Firefox :D , I should know cause I installed it and showed her how to use it. Thank you much for your time, Yours Scott

• Replies 42
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No tell it happens and becomes better its a reality . Windows apps = fail its always been that way . Ive not used a M$ apps other than windows since like 2006 . Could of, should of , would of dont count . Its like waiting for windows 8.1 to become the worlds #1 O/S its not going to happen . Im a realest and I dont take unproven theories for granted . ;)

Always been that way, so far =/= will be like that FOREVER.

Also, thanks for clarifying that you are biased against MS.

If you're claiming to be a "realist", then you wouldn't have such a bold claim about the future, based on past events, and a realist wouldn't hate a company because he/she doesn't like some/all of their software.

P.S. for the record, I'm not an MS fan and don't care what happens to them. I just use their products, along with products from many other developers.

No tell it happens and becomes better its a reality . Windows apps = fail its always been that way . Ive not used a M$ apps other than windows since like 2006 . Could of, should of , would of dont count . Its like waiting for windows 8.1 to become the worlds #1 O/S its not going to happen . Im a realest and I dont take unproven theories for granted . ;)

Always been that way, so far =/= will be like that FOREVER.

Also, thanks for clarifying that you are biased against MS.

P.S. I'm not an MS fan and don't care what happens to them, but if you're claiming to be a "realist", then you wouldn't have such a bold claim about the future, based on past events.

If Microsoft would had made apps that wasn't crippleware to began with like they done Office witch is good but i have no use for at home . Then life would been much easier there be no need for software sites good apps would came in every pc and we could just update thorough the windows store but this never has happened yet . Most stuff M$ makes that comes in a pc someone makes a program better . Now M$ wants to charge you for solitaire even . Thats why I uninstalled everything i could that they gave me.

I look at M$ crap like I do at all crippleware that manufactures put in a OEM it just clutters up my PC and needs removed.

If you're not a M$ fanboy why do you defend everything they done that's failed so far? I been under the impression you was the whole time.

If you're not a M$ fanboy why do you defend everything they done that's failed so far?

Bloody hell. I'm just saying that you, claiming that store apps will NEVER become as good as non-store apps, is farfetched and dishonest. I never intended to defend MS or whoever.

Are store apps limited as of now? Yes. Will they remain limited forever? No one knows for certain, but it's highly doubtful.

As I wrote, software development doesn't stand still. WinRT is evolving. It took many, many years for Win32 to become good enough and it'll surely take a while for WinRT to achieve the same level.

You don't know what the future holds, so don't mix the past with the future and don't be so cynical.

If you're not a M$ fanboy why do you defend everything they done that's failed so far?

Bloody hell. I'm just saying that you, claiming that store apps will NEVER become as good as non-store apps is farfetched and dishonest. I never intended to defend MS or whoever.

Are store apps limited as of now? Yes. Will they remain limited forever? No one knows for certain, but it's highly doubtful.

As I wrote, software development doesn't stand still. WinRT is evolving. It took many, many years for Win32 to become good enough and it'll surely take a while for WinRT to achieve the same level.

You don't know what the future holds, so don't mix the past with the future and don't be so cynical.

There's lots of research that proves everything Microsoft done with the store is not to help pc users at all . Its more directed for them be able to earn money from data retention . Also there offering Windows 10 phone o/s and are trying break big in the phone business again but the problem is no one uses M$ O/S on phones anymore . If i wanted a phone Id buy a phone but who needs Phone apps on a PC ? and there not going to help M$ with phones very much ether. :lol:

Bloody hell. I'm just saying that you, claiming that store apps will NEVER become as good as non-store apps, is farfetched and dishonest. I never intended to defend MS or whoever.

The API can be as good as perfect, but if you are restricted in what you can do, there are things you'll never be able to do, that the previous unrestricted API could do.

Hence, apps for root/JB phones only, because of forced restrictions. If your app can't possibly be made under a sandbox, it dies. Even OS X "Rootless", which can be turned off, is making some apps just quit support. That restriction is dramatically less restricted than WinStore apps.

If your app can't possibly be made under a sandbox, it dies.

same thing is fixing to happen to some Firefox add-ons once they start making Add-ons like Chorme most peole who make addons knows if there add-on can be made this way or not so there to going quit if it cant and some will quit because they just dont want to fool with the sandbox .

That's why they cant get developers for Microsoft store much . Why make crippleware versions when there apps work better installed the old way?

The API can be as good as perfect, but if you are restricted in what you can do, there are things you'll never be able to do, that the previous unrestricted API could do.

Hence, apps for root/JB phones only, because of forced restrictions. If your app can't possibly be made under a sandbox, it dies. Even OS X "Rootless", which can be turned off, is making some apps just quit support. That restriction is dramatically less restricted than WinStore apps.

Still, that doesn't mean that all store apps will be useless and lacking in features, forever.

What percentage of programs that majority of people use require such low level OS access to function? Do programs like office, photoshop, solidwords, browsers, etc. also need such low level of access?

Things can change; some restrictions might be relaxed or removed over time, and let's not forget that win32 is still around and developers can still make non-restricted programs if they need to. It's not going anywhere, as far as we know.

I also do not use store apps, besides weather apps, since they are quite feature limited, but to think that they all will remain in their current state is quite shortsighted.

Besides, aren't there at least security benefits in sandboxing/limiting apps? Maybe it's the only viable solution to get windows out of its current state, where malware can easily infect it, as is the case with most average users who install everything without even checking.

Also, updating WinRT apps will be much easier, since all of them will update through store. Right now each Win32 program has its own updater, or doesn't have any at all.

P.S. Also let me thank you for your work on MTK. It's rare to see someone keep working on a software for as long as you have. You're doing great.

I hope Microsoft lessens restrictions for there store apps ..They whole idea was to make the store were we could use apps from our desktops . Witch we can but none of the apps can compete with installed versions right down to VLC . If they ever start making good apps.. I'm willing to give the store a try . But tell they do its uninstalled they dont have nothing they can give me yet let alone sell to me.

Still, that doesn't mean that all store apps will be useless and lacking in features, forever.

What percentage of programs that majority of people use require such low level OS access to function? Do programs like office, photoshop, solidwords, browsers, etc. also need such low level of access?

Things can change; some restrictions might be relaxed or removed over time, and let's not forget that win32 is still around and developers can still make non-restricted programs if they need to. It's not going anywhere, as far as we know.

I also do not use store apps, besides weather apps, since they are quite feature limited, but to think that they all will remain in their current state is quite shortsighted.

Besides, aren't there at least security benefits in sandboxing/limiting apps? Maybe it's the only viable solution to get windows out of its current state, where malware can easily infect it, as is the case with most average users who install everything without even checking.

Also, updating WinRT apps will be much easier, since all of them will update through store. Right now each Win32 program has its own updater, or doesn't have any at all.

P.S. Also let me thank you for your work on MTK. It's rare to see someone keep working on a software for as long as you have. You're doing great.

Do you see anyone making those apps sandboxed? Let MS eat their own dogfood and make Office run in WinRT, and I'm not talking about that crippleware version they have out now.

There's probably all kinds of very low level graphics diddling in Adobe Photoshop that limitations could restrict. You can't even write your own accelerated JavaScript engine on iOS, which is due to sandboxing not allowing you to get to the metal enough to work the voodoo that makes the JS that fast. Browsers are likely to be hampered as well, depending on how restricting the sandbox (I don't know if RT restricts low-level hardware access).

There's more restrictions in these stores than you think. For example, on Mac App Store, an app can't access the filesystem unless you, yourself, opened a dialog and chose the location, and some parts will be completely off-limits.

If you can make it work in a sandbox, and auto-update, please do, but not everything is feasible or even possible to do so. The sandbox is great for security. It's why you see next to no malware on iOS, and most jailbreaks require physical access and the lock passcode if one is set. But it cuts out a large number of apps. I'd like to have apps that can import to the music library on iOS. Without a jailbreak, this cannot be done at all.

MS did show desktop apps as "packages", more Linux style, which is a good solution for update management. Way too many ways to get and check for updates on Windows. Linux has APT, OS X apps mostly use a common update checker library. Windows apps, no consistency whatsoever.

If everybody on Windows Phone 10 uses Edge (lets face it, there isn't really much choice), it might help drive up that number by a whole half of a percent :)

Not giving up my Firefox until they have to pry it from my cold dead hands. (joke). With so much protection with the addons installed, Chrome also, how could anybody want to use MS? Well I guess grannies who don't know better. I use Cyberfox.

The users name calling and telling each other to stfu seriously if you want to troll go to a different forum and do it. For your information I use firefox and Im not a whimp stop being so insecure. I love the articles from the different users of this forum I wake up everyday to see whats new on this forum and to see what else is happening. Sad part is some of these users should know better. This is a good article I use edge when I use my windows ten virtual machine. Its a brand new browser one mistake I think microsoft made is releasing edge before nexxt two updates were released they jumped the gun with microsoft edge its just not ready. I think net applications has a report that has microsoft edge in it if not dont worry its going to get better.

Hmmm Firefox is for whimps huh? What do you use Google Chrome? Now that's for losers and I would rather be a whimp than a loser any day!!! Don't get me started on Edge, cause it's a joke! Better than Internet Explorer, but that's not saying much! To qoute Stan Lee "Nuff said"! Yours Scott

Same browser your momma uses, Internet Explorer.

I am sorry to inform, but my Mother does not use Internet Explorer. However she does use Firefox :D , I should know cause I installed it and showed her how to use it. Thank you much for your time, Yours Scott

That deserves a L0L..... I think (like you) she is a closet IE fan!

..Atleast we aren't talking like ten years ago...

I use Edge, IE.. ( what number is it now ), Firefox.. and Whatever the Metro Version is in Windows RT... You know Firefox never would get around to writing an app for new Windows 8 or 10.. BUT changed the need in ten.. except for the Phone side...

Truthfully I think some sites with their junk flying all over like a bunch of dead ghosts on Halloween should be gone anyway... but yes addons and blockers are necessary.. Unfortunately..

Personal opinion I can turn Edge black.. and its not bad in browsing speed.. I currently use it more than anything else on my system.. but I haven't really been doing nothing but a bunch of setup... anyway.. Some blockers do get some of this stuff out.. but in the end the sites sometimes don't load right unless they do .. and some things you can't stop.. Like hulu... but it would be nice to have something that smooth all of these things out.. but I would hate to be that guy at the end of the day.. but I would be glorified all over.. LOL.. Businesses still don't think pee should be able to choose whether they see it or not.

Edge may have a good engine, but the main trouble is that it is like a browser designed only for mobile devices, because lacks a lot of features and options if you compare vs IE11 or vs other browsers, especially the support for plugins, practically Edge has been designed to be a browser for noobs -.-

hope it change in the future.

Archived