How to be a Windows 10 Insider without getting Insider updates

Batu69

One of the perks of being a Windows Insider is that you can use the operating system for free. As long as you remain an Insider, you don't need to purchase an extra Windows 10 license, and that is a big incentive for users to join the program.

Some may also like the "getting things first" perk as Microsoft rolls out updates to the operating system to Insider systems first.

The downside to this is that your system may become unstable or that you may encounter bugs or other issues more frequently.

While you should not run an Insider version of Windows 10 in a productive environment, some users do exactly that.

Some issues can be mitigated by running regular backup jobs to ensure that important data is not lost when bugs or issues are encountered.

What if there was a way to remain an Insider without receiving beta updates? One option that Insiders have is to switch from the Fast Ring to the Slow Ring, but that delays the update process only but does not block it completely.

I stumbled upon another option that appears to block Insider updates completely on systems associated with the Insider program without affecting regular updates at all.

The Insider program seems to be tied to the Feedback setting. I ran a couple of privacy tools in the past on an Insider systems of Windows 10 and modified the feedback settings to the bare minimum from full.

This seems to have blocked the delivery of new Insider updates on that system. Yesterday's release of Build 10525 for instance did not show up on the system until I switched the Feedback preference to its default value.

allow-telemetry-windows-10.jpg

I explained the process in our Windows 10 and Privacy overview in detail. To modify the Feedback preference on Windows 10 systems -- this works on all systems, retail, upgrade and Insider -- do the following:

1. Tap on the Windows-key, type regedit and hit enter.
  2. Confirm the UAC prompt if it comes up.
  3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection.
  4. Set the value of AllowTelemetry to 0 if you are on Enterprise.

You can verify this by opening Settings > Privacy > Feedback & diagnostics. The "Send your device data to Microsoft" preference should be set to Basic if you have modified the Registry key.

feedback-telemetry-basic.jpg

If you want to receive Insider updates again, set the preference in the Registry to the value 3. Windows should pick up the new Insider builds automatically the next time you open the update settings.

Note: This has not been tested for an extended period of time due to the lack of updates released to the Insider channel.

Source

• Views 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived