Run IE8 in 1 Process

Rock Lee

One thing that always bugged me about IE8 was the fact the every time you open a new tab, a brand new iexplorer.exe process is opened along with it. I like to keep things loose & fast so running a lot of process is not for me. I researched on how to fix this & it does require a small amount of know how.

First, you need to know how to enter the Windows Registry. To do so, click run > enter 'regedit' > press enter or return.

The IE team has documented a single registry value that controls the new process model:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

You must create a DWORD value in the key above. To access this key go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Internet Explorer > Main

You now need to create a DWORD value so that you can control the process. To create a new DWORD value, simply right click in any non occupied area then select DWORD Value. Be sure to name it TabProcGrowth.

Now you can control how many browser processes are used by IE 8:

swpgs5.png

The one in green below is the one you should focus on, however there are more values that you can use.

The three most useful values for this setting are:

TabProcGrowth = <absent> - this is the default setting allowing IE 8 to control how many processes are used based on the amount of physical memory installed

TabProcGrowth = 0 - a value of zero means use the same process for all tabs, frames and pop-up windows in each browser session. This makes IE 8 behave just like IE 7 on Windows XP. There’s no frame merging and clicking on the IE icon creates a new instance of iexplore.exe in a separate browser session. Protected mode on Vista is not available with this setting because the IE frame and tabs can only operate at different integrity levels if they are in separate processes. This setting may be useful if you are debugging an IE add-on or if you have automated tests that rely on the IE 7 process model.

TabProcGrowth = 1 - this means use one process for all the tabs and pop-ups in a browser session and one process for the IE 8 frame window. Frame merging occurs with this setting and protected mode is supported on Vista. You may want to use TabProcGrowth = 1 where you want to keep tabs and pop-ups in one process but still allow the use of protected mode.

Specifying a number greater than 1 sets an upper limited on the maximum number of tab processes to use per frame window process.

You must restart for the changes to take effect. Once you've done so, run IE8 & open a few tabs. Then check the process that are running (use whatever process manager you like or use the default 'control+alt+delete') & you should only see one iexplorer.exe process running. If you see more than one, make sure that you've done all of the steps above.

Hopefully this helps a lot of IE8 users like it has helped me :lol:

► Rock Lee

• Replies 37
  • Views 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

People are too obsessed with numbers. The things that should be important are speed (or response) and stability. The later at least will be majorly effected applying this "tweak". The system speed increase should be negligable.

People are too obsessed with numbers. The things that should be important are speed (or response) and stability. The later at least will be majorly effected applying this "tweak". The system speed increase should be negligable.

Well I feel that when I first tried 8 that there was a reason I jumped ship back to 7. I am (should be) well known as a speed demon. Typically, if its not fast its not me. This only applies to certain things, browsing being one of them. I stated in a certain thread that I use IE about 55% of the time. I use Chrome the other half, never had a crash with that. I rarely had crashes with IE7 either. That was a major problem with 8 besides the fact that my ram was being sucked up. One process would die, I would fix that, then another. Soon I was just killing the entire tree, then starting fresh. I'm sure you know that after a while doing this gets incredibly annoying. After applying the tweak, 8 has become more stable, if by stable you mean what I had mentioned to before. I killed two birds with one stone & am pretty happy about it.

• Administrator

Thanx for this Rock Lee, it has reduced the processes to one, but still NO increase in the speed.

Thanx for this Rock Lee, it has reduced the processes to one, but still NO increase in the speed.

Like I said in the other thread, my definition of fast & yours could be two different things. I meant faster as in ram & memory. I guess you meant faster as in brower speed...

• Administrator

It takes a long time to (1) So called load in starting up (2) When opening a new Tab.

Even after the registry edit.

My PC is little slow but previously it was running properly.

Specs -

Intel P4 2.66 GHz.

1MB L2 Cache.

1GB DDR1 SD RAM.

It takes a long time to (1) So called load in starting up (2) When opening a new Tab.

Even after the registry edit.

My PC is little slow but previously it was running properly.

Specs -

Intel P4 2.66 GHz.

1MB L2 Cache.

1GB DDR1 SD RAM.

If you ever want to change it back, just go back into the registry & delete the dword value.

• Administrator

No I don't wanna change it back, I am happy as it is.

The above condition is the same before and after.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Yea even I was thinking about it.

I kinda noticed Google Chrome does the same thing. Is there any tweak to stop that?

It does run 2 processes but doesn't suck up ram like 8 did before changing the DWord value. I just opened 20 tabs, still only 2 processes. Read this article. You'll find out why I posted this for 8 & not Chrome. It's a very minor change to chrome though, you shouldn't see a difference in performance with a change if that's what you were looking for.

Yea even I was thinking about it.

Uh I dunno about this DKT. You have a bad little habit of posting right after someone else does. I think I remember you saying you didn't use Chrome, but FF. As a matter of fact, I know I did. Remember this:

First even I was against Firefox.

Then came Firefox 3.0. I used it for sometime.

Then came IE8. I switched to it. Somehow it got slower and slower. I didn't installed any add-on except the basic ones like flash player. No addons were installed during the time it got slower.

Removed Temp IE files, disabled java, etc. Did everything to make it fast, no effect.

Again I changed to firefox because of it's speed and add-ons. It's just from 2-3 months that I'm using Firefox in recent times.

About Chrome well I must say that Chrome seems to the future of browsers. The reason I'm not using it is (i) All the pages do not support it. (ii) NO ADD-ONS.

Not sure if you use Chrome now, but I doubt it.

• Administrator

:welcome: ^^.

I like FF. I use FF. The only thing I didn't mention about Chrome that -

Add iii) Takes a lot of RAM and slows down the PC when the flash player is active. :P My experience.

BTW from where do you get those articles?

:welcome: ^^.

I like FF. I use FF. The only thing I didn't mention about Chrome that -

Add iii) Takes a lot of RAM and slows down the PC when the flash player is active. :P My experience.

BTW from where do you get those articles?

My point exactly. How could you be thinking of something that you're not even using?

Google is your friend. ; Enough questions for today.

• Administrator
My point exactly. How could you be thinking of something that you're not even using?

Well on that case you asked me a question. I didn't mention that I used Chrome when my PC got a virus that somehow didn't allowed to open IE and FF. I used it(chrome) every day for about 15-20 days till I reinstalled my OS and started using FF. Ohh that sad memories of infected PC. Thanks you for reminding me. :P

Well on that case you asked me a question. I didn't mention that I used Chrome when my PC got a virus that somehow didn't allowed to open IE and FF. I used it(chrome) every day for about 15-20 days till I reinstalled my OS and started using FF. Ohh that sad memories of infected PC. Thanks you for reminding me. :welcome:

The question was rhetorical kiddo. Meaning you weren't supposed to answer because I already knew the answer.

Unless you've got a question regarding this thread (which you shouldn't) then the post I'm quoting should be your last one. Keep the thread clean, it doesn't need to be flooded.

:P You've got a lot to learn...

Actually in google chrome every tab is run in a new process like some sort of sandbox.

I don't know about IE8, but I might look it up before changing this setting.

it's been along time since i used that Dumb browser

Really who uses that browser as long as FF is alive ?!

I have a 4 gigs of ram

and it doesnt look slow , but i just hate it

really firefox Rocks

• Administrator

@demonon, the link that has been posted by Rock lee says the same thing.

@bashar, I totally agree with you but you should understand that the author of the thread will not agree with you at all.

I only use IE when the website doesn't support FF.

I only use IE when the website doesn't support FF.

Maybe it's the other way around :bag:

• Administrator

What!? IE doesn't support websites properly? Astonished. I haven't found a single site that doesn't support IE.

Strange because all of the "major" sites they list on the main page that can't be rendered correctly, I see them fine.

Anyway guys this is starting to get off-topic. This isn't a ff vs ie thread. It's just a tut on how to run IE8 in 1 process. Some of you have posted here only to state that you don't like IE, that may be fine & well but this isn't the thread to do it in. This is for those who actually use it. I would start a thread on ff vs IE but Biz you & I both know how heated that can get.

Let's focus back on 1 process please...

• Administrator

OK. Just last post rock lee, is it only on IE8 or it(the problem) was same in IE7?

Archived