How To Reset or Refresh Windows 10 When You Have Trouble Logging Into Desktop

mona

How To Reset or Refresh Windows 10 When You Have Trouble Logging Into Desktop

Windows has made the process of resetting your system a lot easier since Windows 8 in the event when things went really wrong. When resetting/refreshing seems to be the only choice to go to make your Windows run properly, you can simply go to Settings app → Update and recovery, and do either of the process from there.
But that works only when you still have access to your desktop. What if things really went south and you have no access to your desktop or simply can’t get Settings app to work properly?
Here is a quick trick that lets you boot to the Advanced boot option right from login screen.
When you are on Login screen, click the Power button, hold down Shift key and click Restart option.

zXyD3gW.png

And keep holding down the Shift key until the following screen appears.

7ZG3hvn.png

Now click on Troubleshoot, and Reset this PC to start Reset process.

Ma3e4rj.png

The Reset process has 2 options in Windows 10, either Keep my files which is similar to Refresh as in Windows 8.1 or Remove everything like start from the scratch. Pick one that suits you to start.

K7CVC8j.png

And that’s about it.

Source

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
knowledge-Spammer

yes interesting to know i am now on windows 10 and think its fast as hell i like windows 10 :)

It is interesting to know, what is the new in this story?

Kalju, what is obvious to you doesn't need to be equally obvious to other, less advanced users. :P :s

none of the images are showing up.

What happened?

The owner of this website (www.nextofwindows.com) does not allow hotlinking to that resource (/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Windows-10-Advanced-Options-from-login-screen.png).

What is significantly new is that people are trying to fly with the eagles — all efforts should be made to encourage them. ^_^

What is significantly new is that people are trying to fly with the eagles — all efforts should be made to encourage them. ^_^

Do You know, in my home wore the crow lives for years with the nightingale and lark, but till today sings only own song.

Don't want to learn anything new.

You can't soar with Eagles when you are just another Microsoft Turkey.

I do not believe that mona is a turkey — she does show some signs of being capable enough to fly with the eagles.

none of the images are showing up.

Corrected.

Although you have linked your images to imgur but at the forum they are still hosted at nextofwindows.com which doesn't allow hotlinking. As a result, the post still doesn't show images at the forum:-

2MulWhM.png

You might be seeing them at your end because of cache in your browser. ;)

I have noticed that phenomenon actually.

Moreover : even prior to reuploading the screenshots to Imgur - they might be invisible in my post, but in editing mode they were still appearing as normal.

Is there anything I can do about that issue ?

BTW Thank you for your nice explanation (it has been always your big advantage). :P

Is there anything I can do about that issue ?

Edit your post and delete the images part along with the BB code associated with them and then insert your imgur uploads using the 'Image code'.

Thanks a lot for your BB code hint.

When I switched to BB code mode I saw this :

[url=http://i.imgur.com/zXyD3gW.png][img=http://www.nextofwindows.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Restart-from-Login-screen.png][/url]

It turns out to be exactly how you stated in your post :

Somehow my previous correction (reuploading pics to Imgur, erasing old links and providing new ones) didn't changed much. The new address has been added, but prefix "img=" was showing clearly where they were sourced from.

After completely erasing all screenshots' lines in BB code mode (in normal editing mode it doesn't work) and posting pics from scratch again, the proper line looks like that :

[img=http://i.imgur.com/zXyD3gW.png]

.....................................................................................................................

The only question that remains is :

I've had problems with hotlinking pics before. But simple reuploading them to any hoster like Imgur used to solve the issue.

Why this time couldn't I get rid of stubborn www.nextofwindows.com links normal way ? Is www.nextofwindows.com the culprit or maybe a bug on nSane ? Should I post this case in "All bugs" topic maybe ?

I do not believe that mona is a turkey — she does show some signs of being capable enough to fly with the eagles.

dcs18,

Why are you hiding beside me ? :s

You are - no doubt - intelligent enough ;) to notice straycat19's real intention.

But in case you failed : he meant YOU (yes : YOU dear !) and all other Windows users (to be fair : including me also). :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW It is my 750th post on nSane, so I'm becoming a VIP at this very moment ! magic_carpet.gif

dcs18,

You are - no doubt - intelligent enough ;) to notice straycat19's real intention.

But in case you failed : he meant YOU (yes : YOU dear !) and all other Windows users (to be fair : including me also). :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW It is my 750th post on nSane, so I'm becoming a VIP at this very moment ! magic_carpet.gif

OK mona, so let's not wait for him to clarify whom he actually meant — let's just assume he meant me, instead (I'm sorry, I tried to defend you, twice on this very same thread — shall never ever make this mistake . . . . . . . again.)

dcs18,

OK mona, so let's not wait for him to clarify whom he actually meant — let's just assume he meant me, instead (I'm sorry, I tried to defend you, twice on this very same thread — shall never ever make this mistake . . . . . . . again.)

dcs18 Didn't you notice those ;) :lol: emos ? Need I really explain that I was teasing you ?

C_mon where is your sense of humor ?

BTW I used exactly the same humorous tone as you did in your post

dcs18,

dcs18 Didn't you notice ;) emo ? Need I really explain that I was teasing you ?

C_mon where is your sense of humor ?

BTW I used exactly the same humorous tone as you did in your post

Well then, point noted & no offense taken to heart — so, I take back what I said in my previous post.

Archived