How To Fix The Something Happened 0x80070002 – 0x20016 Error and Upgrade To Windows 10

november_ra1n

november_ra1n

How To Fix The Something Happened 0x80070002 – 0x20016 Error and Upgrade To Windows 10

Windows 10 was launched a week ago, and it has been doing great.

fXF2sN.jpg

If you have tried forcing the upgrade by using the Media Creation Tool, chances are you may have run into a hilarious error which says “Something Happened 0x80070002 – 0x20016″.
(excuse the Windows Snip message – I didn’t notice it until it was too late)
This ridiculously annoying message has been drawing a lot of flak, and several users are actually having a bit of laugh at Microsoft’s expense. And here is how I came across it:
I have a Windows 7 PC, and a Windows 10 Laptop for testing all the preview builds. I have been staring at the desktop’s GWX app which has been sitting quietly on the system tray, ever since the day it first appeared. (Wake up and tell me Windows 10 is ready to download.) I knew I could manually trigger the download, but I just wanted the app to give me the good news, it really would have been a special moment.
Alas! My patience ran out today, and I tried to force the update by entering the “wuauclt.exe /updatenow” command from an elevated command prompt, and then checking for Windows Updates. After that process came to no avail, the next step was to obviously try the Windows 10 downloader tool from Microsoft, and running the Media Creation Tool threw out the “Something Happened” message. That was really helpful Microsoft, thank you. So, what now?
“Houston, we have a problem”.
No we don’t, its actually pretty easy to solve the issue. All you have to do is follow the steps below, which I came across at this thread on Reddit.
1. First, click on start and type the following command to open the Windows Registry Editor
Regedit
2. Now, on the left pane, navigate to this path
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade
3. Right click on the pane on the right hand side, and create a New -> DWORD (32-bit) value.
4. Assign the following name to it. It is case sensitive, so copy and paste it as given below.
AllowOSUpgrade
5. Double click on the entry you created, and change the value to 1 in hexadecimal base. (Hexadecimal is chosen by default)
9AzjIz.jpg
6. Now you can close the Registry Editor.
7. Navigate to Start > All programs > Windows Update. Wait for it to finish checking for updates, and et voilà!
You should a screen like the one below, which says Windows 10 is ready for download. Click on download and you should be good to go.
j9nTQv.jpg
Windows 10 is currently downloading on my computer, and should be ready for installation quite soon.
kXFsGF.jpg

Hope this helped you too.

Source: filecritic.com

• Replies 7
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
november_ra1n

Not sure if anyone has posted before reason I have to make this post cause there number of members were raising the error issue since Windows 10 Officially announced hopefully it will help mostly. : )

someone there

Save this to a text file
and change its extension to .reg
then execute it as administrator :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
"ReservationsAllowed"=dword:00000001
"AllowOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

@november_rain.

Followed your instructions and Windows 10 started it's "full" procedure but then stopped whilst I went out for a few minutes for something important.

When I came back to my PC the following message was on my screen:

"Windows 10 Pro couldn't be installed.

Errors found C1900101-4000D.

Going to Google this but it would seem as if,after this the third attempt,I will give up on installing until any and every problem is sorted out.

Hopefully soon.

I could be having a problem on my PC but if my Windows 7 Pro is running smoothly then I don't know what the next step is.

• 4 months later...

More Troubleshooters for Windows 10 Setup

Windows 10 Installation or Upgrade Errors: 80240020, Something Happened, etc

While most of the users have witnessed a seamless experience during the Windows 10 upgrade process, some are facing Windows 10 installation or upgrade errors. For some, Windows 10 upgrade has failed! Microsoft has already come up with a list of errors which one might encounter during the upgrade process and how you could go about fixing Windows 10 installation or upgrade errors which you may face. The common among them are Something Happened and Error code 80240020.

8-Media-Creation-Tool-400x351.png

Windows 10 Installation & Installation Errors

The Windows 10 upgrade errors is generally accompanied with an error code which you can use it as reference to troubleshoot and fix. When you get errors during the upgrade process, just copy the error message along with the error code.

The following are the list of common upgrade or installation errors along with solutions to fix problems.

Spoiler

Something Happened

This is a pretty intriguing error message which does not much more really. But to resolve this, do the following.

Open Control Panel > Clock > Language > Region > Administrative tab > Change System Locale button and set it to English (US). Restart your computer. Try again.

If this does not work, use the Windows 10 Media Tool to create a bootable USB, and then install it.

Error Code 0x80073712

0x80073712 error occurs when the file needed by Windows 10 is missing or corrupted.

Error Code 0x800F0923

The above error fires up whenever the driver or software on your computer is not compatible with Windows 10 upgrade. The best way to fix this issue is by contacting Microsoft support.

Error Code 0x80200056

The error occurs if you had accidentally restarted your PC or signed out of computer causing an interruption to the upgrade process. In this case, you might want to start over and complete the upgradation process. Remember to turn on your PC and make sure it is plugged in to avoid interruption.

Code 0x800F0922

The above error essentially means your computer couldn’t connect to Windows Update servers. This might be because you are on a VPN connection to connect to a work network. To continue Windows 10 Upgrade smoothly disconnect yourself from any VPN network and turn off the VPN software temporarily and try upgrading again.

Error: We couldn’t complete the updates. Undoing changes. Don’t turn off your computer

This is a generic error message which pops up on your screen whenever your Windows 10 upgrade failed. Try to get the specific error code, with which you could further investigate and resolve the problem.

Error: Failure configuring Windows Updates. Reverting changes.

In order to trace the error code for the failed update, view your update history and spot the updates that were not installed and note down the error code which you could use it to contact Microsoft support.

Steps to view update history on Windows 8.1 :

• Using the charms bar by swiping, find the “Settings” option and then choose “Change PC settings” and then click on “Update and recovery”.
  • Choose “View your update history”

Steps to view update history on Windows 7 :

• Open the search box by clicking on Start button. In the search box, type “Update”, choose “Windows Update” in the list of results.
  • Select “View update history”.

Error: The update isn’t applicable to your computer.

The above error message occurs when your PC doesn’t have required updates installed. Before you start the Windows 10 upgrade process make sure that all other important updates are installed first.

Error Code 0xC1900208 – 0x4000C

The error shows up when an incompatible application is installed on your PC which is blocking the upgrade process from getting completed. Do a thorough check that any incompatible apps are uninstalled and then try upgrading your PC.

Error Code 80240020

Windows 10 Installation & Installation Errors

Says Microsoft: This is an expected error message if the upgrade requires customer user action. For example, the message may be present if one or more applications or disk utilities that need to be uninstalled before upgrading. PCs seeing this error message will get instructions on how to fix this when they perform the upgrade. We recommend waiting until your PC receives a notification to upgrade and then following the instructions provided.

To resolve this issue, open C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete the contents of the folder.

You may also open an elevated CMD and run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth to repair system image.

Next, open the Win+X menu and click Command Prompt (Admin). In the elevated command prompt window, type wuauclt.exe /update now and hit Enter.

If this does not help, open regedit and navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate

Now in left pane, right-click WindowsUpdate and create a new key here and name it OSUpgrade. Next in the left pane, right-click in an empty area and create a new DWORD called AllowOSUpgrade and give it value 1.

Error Code 0xC1900200 – 0x20008, Error Code 0xC1900202 – 0x20008

It is possible that your existing PC doesn’t meet the minimum requirements to download or install the Windows 10 upgrade. Check the minimum system requirements for Windows 10 upgrade.

Error Code 0x80070070 – 0x50011, 0x80070070 – 0x50012, 0x80070070 – 0x60000

The above error suggests that your PC has run out of space. There is no enough space available to install the Windows 10 upgrade. To continue, free some space on the drive and start over.

Errors 0xC1900101 -0x20017

Errors 0xC1900101 – 0x20017 when upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Upgrade your BIOS on old machines. Uninstall Nero, and all ATI\AMD software, and ASUS VGA driver, PC-Wizard, SpywareBlaster, Virtual clone drive,Spybot, ASR Appcharger, CCleaner, InstantBoot, Logitech camera driver and then run the Windows 10 upgrade.

Error 0x80004005

Error 0x80004005 when upgrading to Windows 10.

If you receive Error 0x80004005 when upgrading to Windows 10, install these KB3087040 packages: x86 | x64.
Restart your computer and then try again, suggests Microsoft tech troubleshooter Gov Maharaj on Channel9.

Modern Setup Host has stopped working

See this post if you receive Modern Setup Host has stopped working error.

Seeing different Windows 10 Installation or Upgrade Errors, which is not listed here? You can straight away contact Microsoft using the Support app and get their help.

Source: Microsoft.  Additional information: Microsoft Answers.

Windows 10 Problems, Issues with solutions and fixes

If you have installed Windows 10 RTM Final version, you may be facing some Windows 10 problems and issues. Fortunately, the list of known issues is not long and is limited to some countries for some reason. The best thing about bugs in Windows 10 or known issues is that Microsoft works on them as soon as they are notified. Despite that, here are the some bugs and issues.

Spoiler

Windows 10 Problems and Issues

1] Windows installation may terminate with SOMETHING HAPPENED message

In some languages, you may see the message “Something happened” with the only option being CLOSE button. When you click the button, the installation terminates. This has been noticed if you chose to create an ISO and are using a burned DVD or USB to install Windows 10.

Windows-10-known-issyes

Though not official, the problem is attributed to Language settings in Windows OS. Check the Language and Region settings in Control panel of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 that you are upgrading using the ISO file. The fix being widely used is to re-download the US English Language pack and install it on the computer you are trying to upgrade. That is, you have to go to Control Panel, open the Language and Settings and make sure US English is installed. You may have to install the language pack again for Windows 10 ISO to work. Go here to see how to install language packs in Windows.

A better fix is to use “Upgrade This PC” option using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. The latter option would remove the need to create ISO based installation media (DVD or USB) and will do an in-place upgrade of Windows 10. The in place upgrade does not, likely, go wrong with the weird “something happened” message according to reports on social media. You will need an active Internet connection though, for every PC you upgrade this way.

In short, performing an in place upgrade is a better option than going for ISO files of Windows 10 as of now.

The “Something Happened” message is too vague and does not tell you what went wrong. The second line too, as in the image, says “something happened”. Right now, it has become the center for jokes and memes on social media. Microsoft may soon publish a proper fix or explanation for the error message. I am expecting that, at least.

2] Start menu cannot hold more than 512 items

Though 512 is a big number and I do not think anyone would pin that many programs or apps to the Start menu, it is still a known issue in Windows 10 that if you go for more than 512 apps, they will disappear from the Start menu. As long as the number of apps pinned on Start menu is less than 512, the app tiles will be visible properly. If you cross the number, the Start menu is messed up.

Microsoft has information on this and they are apparently working to remove the cap.

3] Clipboard issues in Windows 10

This is another known issue – brought to notice by @TomWarren. He tweeted the following:

OK so I am not alone, there is an issue with Windows 10 when it sometimes doesn’t copy using Ctrl+C. Lots of people seeing it. Yikes – Tom Warren (@TomWarren) Jul 29, 2015

There is no fix except to press the key combination again and again until it is copied to the clipboard. Another better option is to right click and from the context menu that appears, select COPY or CUT as the case may be.

4] Windows Store Crashes

This is more of the Store app issue than being a Windows 10 operating system issue. The Windows 10 store app keeps on crashing when you try to download anything. The issue was reported by many – including TWC authors.

Here are two posts from Twitter that further confirm the issue with Windows store:

So far, upgrade to #Windows10 has been pretty smooth on 5 year old PC except I can’t use Cortana or install apps from the Windows store. — CheckedShirtMatt (@ec1matt) July 29, 2015

And,

Why can’t I install anything from the Windows Store I just wanted to play C++ Minecraft — Aar (@Aarmastah) July 29, 2015

There is no fix on the issue but it has been notified to Windows team. I am hoping the issue will be fixed soon. But meanwhile you can see point 3 of Windows 10 Guru Fixes.

Adds Anand Khanse:

5] Wireless networks are not available

After you upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Enterprise, no wireless networks are available. Wired Ethernet connections may also not function properly, if you are using built-in Ethernet adapter or a USB Ethernet adapter. This could occurs due to presence of unsupported VPN software. If you are facing this issue, read Wi-Fi does not work after upgrading to Windows 10.

6] Start Menu not working

Some users who upgraded are finding out that their Start Menu does not open in Windows 10. This post will help you fix the problem.

7] Windows Store apps are not opening

If Windows Store apps not opening in Windows 10, after you upgraded, then this post will show you how to fix the problem quickly.

8] Windows Store is not opening

If Windows 10 Store is not working, then run this troubleshooter & fixer from Microsoft.

9] Windows 10 Settings app does not open

For some the Windows 10 Settings app does not open or launch. Or it opens the Store app instead. Use the Fix It mentioned in the tool. Update KB3081424 will prevent the issue from re-occurring.

10] NVIDIA Graphic Cards not compatible

The graphic drivers are not compatible with Windows 10 at the moment. NVIDIA is working on the issue and soon it will provide compatible drivers so that users can upgrade to Windows 10 without problems. You can search for your NVIDIA GeForce drivers here. Nvidia has released new WHQL drivers for Windows 10.

11] INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error

See this post if you receive INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error after you have upgraded to Windows 10.

12] Office documents do not open

Go here if after upgrading to Windows 10, you find that some of your Office Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents do not open.

13] Installation, Upgrade & Activation problems

14] Windows 10 can’t connect to Internet

See this post if Windows 10 cannot connect to Internet.

15] Quick Access is not working

See this post if Quick Access in Windows 10 is not working or broken.

16] Windows 10 Sound not working

See this post to fix Windows 10 Sound and Audio problems

17] Other

Microsoft has also released a set of automated solutions and troubleshooters to solve Windows 10 problems. If you are facing other issues, please search on this website. I am sure that you will find some solution.

NOTE: Windows 10 users may want to download FixWin 10 for Windows 10. It automates many fixes and lets you resolve issues in a click!

If you know of anything more that can be included in the list, please comment.

Incidentally, Microsoft has made it easier for you to contact Support if you face any problems while using Windows 10. See how to use the Contact Support app.

Also take a look at these Windows 10 Support, Fixes and Solutions.

Source: Thewindowsclub

Archived