Recommend Me a Stand-Alone Firewall

UpGrade

• Replies 42
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm confused. You ask if Zone Alarm is still as good as it used to be, but then rule out WFC?

im confused at this i don't understand what ZoneAlarm has to do with WFC ?

My point is that you were considering Zone Alarm but completely ruled out WFC, when Windows firewall with WFC is better than Zone Alarm in every way imaginable.

In addition to the wonderful suggestions made by the good folks, another firewall which I like to test periodically is Windows 10 Firewall Control Plus - it is not in the same league as Windows Firewall Control, though.

Comodo & Outpost (on the one side) <=> Windows Firewall Control & Windows Firewall Control Plus (on the other side).

;)

I'm confused. You ask if Zone Alarm is still as good as it used to be, but then rule out WFC?

im confused at this i don't understand what ZoneAlarm has to do with WFC ?

My point is that you were considering Zone Alarm but completely ruled out WFC, when Windows firewall with WFC is better than Zone Alarm in every way imaginable.

from my experience of zonealarm when i used it years ago is that it was great i have noticed it has gone downhill lately and dcs18 has confirmed this too, but as i said i just dont like using the build in windows firewall its a bit of a personal preference and also because i just dont feel like its the most secure thing, i would rather use a third party one.

thanks i will take a look

In addition to the wonderful suggestions made by the good folks, another firewall which I like to test periodically is Windows 10 Firewall Control Plus - it is not in the same league as Windows Firewall Control, though.

i have actually downloaded this to test before u posted it i will take a look soon is it the same sort of thing as WFC ? using built in firewall ?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions

i have actually downloaded this to test before u posted it i will take a look soon is it the same sort of thing as WFC ? using built in firewall ?

Windows 10 Firewall Control Plus is a full-fledged, independent, 3rd party firewall - not a front-end GUI like Windows Firewall Control (WFC.) ;)

Windows 10 Firewall Control Plus is a full-fledged, independent, 3rd party firewall - not a front-end GUI like Windows Firewall Control (WFC.) ;)

thanks man! appreciate the help i am using comodo at the moment im goin to test each one for a few days and see witch i prefer i will try this next

thanks man! appreciate the help i am using comodo at the moment im goin to test each one for a few days and see witch i prefer i will try this next

Please, post your results... I'm using PersonalFirewall but I want to know if it's worth changing to another Firewall.

Best regards...

Please, post your results... I'm using PersonalFirewall but I want to know if it's worth changing to another Firewall.

Best regards...

i will give me a week or 2 to test them all and ill post here

cisco ASA 5xxx series. you can get the 5505 for less than $100 and it's far better than any software solution

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/ips-4200-series-sensors/eos-eol-notice-c51-733186.html

uh oh... time to upgrade. thanks for the link

no problem thanks for the suggestion!

Best regards...

Ok so actually i didn't need a week or so i ended up not doing much today so i tested them all here is what i found its not too in depth and it is to my personal preference.

Comodo:

Seems great it has all the features i was looking for and seems like a strong firewall, the popups are nice and not too intrusive!

Windows 10 Firewall Control Plus:

Seemed pretty basic but good firewall to me although i did not like the pop ups as they were very messy (there was soso many options for a pop up) & large. - Uninstalled.

TinyWall:

I couldn't test well as im using windows 10 currently and it doesn't seem to open up the gui or work properly at all. - Obiously Uninstalled.

Private Firewall:

Again looks pretty basic but seems to do a good job looks like a sturdy firewall pop ups are nice and it does the job.

Windows Firewall Control (WFC)

A great peice of software for controlling the inbuilt windows firewall it is nice and leightweight also easy to setup and can be setup to show everything but as its is using the built in firewall it just wasn't for me

Conclusion:

Overall i have decided to go with Comodo as it has everything i want and works really well i also feel that is is a very good firewall although,

Over them all i prefer Outpost and do feel that this is the most secure but as they haven't updated in so long it doesn't work with my setup very well so its out the question for now.

Thank you all for the suggestions and the help.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Important heads-up at post # 2827, for Users of firewalls - take the test, now. B)

My system passes all test on GRC Shields Up. But of course I knew this already as security is paramount to me and my setup. I dont think it necessary or for that matter even wise for me to tell you anyone what FW I use. Someone could use the same FW as me and still be compromised if their setup is lacking a proper configuration.

@UpGrade Good luck with whatever you choose.

Important heads-up at post # 2827, for Users of firewalls - take the test, now. cool.png

My system passes all test on GRC Shields Up. But of course I knew this already as security is paramount to me and my setup. I dont think it necessary or for that matter even wise for me to tell you what FW I use. Someone could use the same FW as me and still be compromised if their setup is lacking a proper configuration. @UpGrade Good luck with whatever you choose.

Oh yeah, right — I was actually dying to find out which firewall you use (do I even know you, BTW?) :think:

Thank you for that heads-up about "proper configuration" — (apart from you) don't think anyone else in the world knew that.

@dcs18 you crack me up!

Thank you for that heads-up about "proper configuration" — (apart from you) don't think anyone else in the world knew that.

You are very welcome, glad I could help! :coolwink:

btw post #41 edited for clarity

Archived