Linux and Windows Are Heading Towards a War That Microsoft Will Lose

Karamjit

This topic is full of ignorance and misunderstanding.

Open Source community was never about numbers or comparison.

On the other hand Linux (distro) is as usable and intuitive as you make it.

For more than three decades academia uses TeX - there was never need for MS Office.

Need for MS Office is fading in general - link.

Linux is a kernel, from ontological perspective it is not an entity. When you say Linux you, probably, think Linux Foundation, founded 2007, with 180 corporate members including IBM, Intel, Google, HP, Twitter, Valve, VMware, Siemens, Sony, Dell, Cisco etc. Their goal is promotion of Linux, since they all develop products that are based (or hosted) on Linux.

To tell you the hard truth, people who are using Linux don't give a shit about Windows or OS X.

I find it that only people who try linux distro for a week and think they "get it" (and then get back to whatever they used before) care about statistics and numbers.

So this Linux vs Windows battle is discussed by Windows users, because they don't "get it".

Does it run iTunes?

• Replies 47
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you think Linux is user friendly i got an island and a bridge to sell you on new york city

For more than three decades academia uses TeX - there was never need for MS Office.

Linux is a kernel, from ontological perspective it is not an entity. When you say Linux you, probably, think Linux Foundation, founded 2007, with 180 corporate members including IBM, Intel, Google, HP, Twitter, Valve, VMware, Siemens, Sony, Dell, Cisco etc. Their goal is promotion of Linux, since they all develop products that are based (or hosted) on Linux.

To tell you the hard truth, people who are using Linux don't give a shit about Windows or OS X.

I find it that only people who try linux distro for a week and think they "get it" (and then get back to whatever they used before) care about statistics and numbers.

So this Linux vs Windows battle is discussed by Windows users, because they don't "get it".

Does it run iTunes?

linux hardly runs anything

Android OS and Chrome OS are Linux operating systems. Mac OS X and iOS are unix-like operating systems.

People on this thread seem to not recognize the world has changed around them.

People on this thread seem to not recognize that this particular topic was referring to only Desktops - a segment where Linux has been mercilessly and consistently shafted by Windows.

software182

I've seen this topic few years ago but still windows lead the market share.

I'm not saying Linux-Based OS is bad, it's good OS but come on, bring the same shit topic for years just like liverpool fan saying they will win the EPL ( This Year is our year ).

Same :shit: same old story

Android OS and Chrome OS are Linux operating systems. Mac OS X and iOS are unix-like operating systems.

People on this thread seem to not recognize that this particular topic was referring to only Desktops - a segment where Linux has been mercilessly and consistently shafted by Windows.

Correction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . mercilessly and consistently shafted by Windows and Mac (injury to insult.)

This is a windows forums so reactions of this nature are expected, however I'm amazed of how people are unable to understand what is being written.

“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”

― George Carlin

my main gripe with linux is 3DSMax/Maya and Photoshop.. yeah yeah, i know there's Gimp and Blender. but only if you've never used the former you can say the latter have a leg to stand on. seriously, for a photoshop user Gimp is an excersise on frustration!. Blender? ugh, that's a fucking waste of time if you come from Autodesk products.

sure if you don't have a choice you have to endure the grief regardless.

"Linux" never cared about ganing users nor taking back market shares.

This Softpedia post is wrong from the first two words ; nice record.

Microsoft never actually considered Linux a threat to the desktop market and Linux never really wanted to do anything about it.

That is precisely the problem - "Linux never really wanted to do anything about it."

Why should the End-user want anything to do with an OS that lacks competitiveness - perhaps, a more appropriate phrase would be "Linux never really cared to do anything about it." RL8WwPy.gif

my main gripe with linux is 3DSMax/Maya and Photoshop.. yeah yeah, i know there's Gimp and Blender. but only if you've never used the former you can say the latter have a leg to stand on. seriously, for a photoshop user Gimp is an excersise on frustration!. Blender? ugh, that's a fucking waste of time if you come from Autodesk products.

sure if you don't have a choice you have to endure the grief regardless.

Autodesk Maya from 8.5 to 2015 is available on linux - link.

Autodesk Softimage, discontinued, was (is) available on linux.

There sure is a learning curve in Blender but it is very powerful tool (good news - Blender and Valve are collaborating to make Blender more usable)

You can also use few more as complementary tools: Wings 3D, clara.io, Soya3D, OGRE

I would also recommend using assimp in order to properly interact between different 3D model formats.

Example of OGRE rendering engine:

Skyline_EditorOverview.png

Shadows-Heretic-Kingdoms-03.jpg

torchlight2.png

You can user GIMP with Gimp Paint Studio instead of Photoshop, or stay with Photoshop.

Instead of Corel DRAW (Illustrator) and Painter you can use Inkscape, Krita and Drawpile.

If you likePaint.NET you can try Pinta and MyPaint.

Finaly you can use Wine, PlayOnLinux, CrossOver or virtualization (VBox, VMware, Quemu, etc.) to run any software (Adobe CC, VS2013, MS Office 2013, Autodesk and many more are running quite well here) available on windows.

You can use Xen to concurrently run multiple OS at the same time (without performance drop that is present under virtualizations - for performance dependent tools).

Few notes on technical details:

SDL2.0 is better than ever, with ability to deliver one code to all platforms (Win,OSX, iOS, Android, Linux, BSD, and more are coming) today it is what many companies are shifting to, very powerful and easy to use.

What nvidia has to say about OpenGL -link :

With OpenGL, an open, vendor-neutral standard, developers can get significantly better performance – up to 1.3 times. But with a little tuning, they can get 7 to 15 times more performance.

And this is from Vale - link :

OpenGL is faster than DirectX — even on Windows

Why OpenGL - link?

Many game engines (C4 Engine, CryEngine, Id Tech 1-4, Leadwerks Engine, Source Engine, Unigine, Unity Engine 5, Unreal Engine 1-4...) and middleware (Havok, Gamebryo...) are available on linux, and many others are in phase of porting it to linux.

From perspective of developer there is big benefit in using cross-platform development tools, and development can be completely on Windows, so there is no restrictions, while if you are on linux you might want to use Windows machine to create your 3D models if you are doing so by using popular software not currently present under linux.

With linux you can always switch to bare bones windows manager like dwm, that uses around 10 MB and focus on resource dependent tasks like rendering or complex computations.

@topic

Microsoft and Linux from different perspective:

Microsoft Loves Linux - link1, link2

Older Microsoft uses Linux - link1, link 2, link 3, link 4, link 5

Correction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . mercilessly and consistently shafted by Windows and Mac (injury to insult.)

VHP1UCu.gif

Linux also comes with baggage that is hard to get rid of. Many potential users still think that Linux is a cumbersome system to install and to use, not knowing that it has become a lot more user-friendly in the past few years.

User friendly??? It is the most unintuitive OS on planet Earth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . the biggest living enemy of work-flow & productivity!

Have you used an OS like Ubuntu recently? I'd say it's much ,ore intuitive than Windows 8 and a lot easier to upgrade/update the software. Windows you have to update each piece of software individually, Ubuntu you update them all at once.

The huge barrier that is stopping people like me using it as their main OS 3D graphics and gaming, unless something like the new OpenGL takes off (which it might if Microsoft does not back port DX12 to Windows 7). When Linux gets the ability to play games on par with Windows in terms of performance then Microsoft will start to get hit hard.

People are not using desktops much anymore for office and web browsing, they have tablets and phones for that, especially now that Microsoft is forcing their cloud services on everyone.

Agree with nearly everything you mentioned. :)

Matter of fact, many (if not most) of us hate Microsoft and their tyrannical ways - we, so much want Linux to win. Few of us (like me) wouldn't minding even paying for a Linux (the paying part is a different matter, though.) F3h9xqz.gif

Personally, have overcome those 2 shitty Windows 8 hurdles - work-flow & the cloud (on machines deployed by me.) However, as you rightly observed Microsoft does force those hurdles (and a few others) on Windows Users, by default - have been noticing this most of the time while participating in a TeamViewing session with some nSane members.

​2013 PC shipments fell by 9.8 percent overall from 2012 . IDC reported that 315.1 million PCs shipped in 2013

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2104244/pc-market-fell-hardest-in-2014-analyst-firm-says.html

OK 2014 Gartner Says Worldwide PC Shipments Grew 1 Percent in Fourth Quarter of 2014 Because people were buying

​Lenovo Solidifies Top Spot in 2014 Rankings; HP Narrows the Gap with Strong Fourth Quarter But not soon after this everyone found out Lenovo were shipping pcs with malware superfish. Still the market was down 8.8 % from 2012 and it be awhile before results are out .

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2960125

​After SuperFish this happened Gartner Says Worldwide PC Shipments Declined 5.2 Percent in First Quarter of 2015

By 2018, IDC said, the PC market should drop to annual sales of 291.7 million units. Gartner Says Prices of PCs to Rise by Up to 10 Percent in 2015

On the other hand the phone bunnies is booming there were There were 1.8 billion mobile phones sold in 2013, which was marginally higher than the number sold in 2012.

There are nearly 7 billion mobile subscriptions worldwide, estimates The International Telecommunication Union (May 2014). This is equivalent to 95.5 percent of the world population.
• That’s a billion extra mobile subscriptions in three years, but growth is slowing – 2011: 5.9 billion; 2012: 6.2 billion; 2013: 6.7 billion; 2014: 6.9 billion.

http://mobiforge.com/research-analysis/global-mobile-statistics-2014-part-a-mobile-subscribers-handset-market-share-mobile-operators

They are 2,925,249,355 million users on the internet growing at like 8% a year 60% of world still don't have internet at all

http://www.internetlivestats.com/internet-users/#trend

​so yes seems like desktop is dieing more and more each year , you can be in denial if you want .

smallhagrid

Such a wonderfully useful community compilation of ideas in this thread - thank you folks for sharing !!

This is just so true:

It IS very funny how so very many folks can be totally unaware or in denial of these very true facts !!

Ummm...Linux -IS- all over smartphones, world-wide AFAIK:

Yep really desktops in general are declining for along time ..Unless they make a Linux you can put on a smart phone there's no hope for that .

Windows keeps blaming it on piracy..But the truth be known Desktop platform altogether is dieing .

Mobile devices are now the main source of Google search traffic

http://www.businessinsider.my/google-search-traffic-mobile-passes-desktop-2015-5/

Smartphone usage surges while PCs show startling decline in new worldwide study

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/188314-smartphone-usage-surges-while-pcs-show-startling-decline-in-new-worldwide-study

desktop users are a dieing breed :lol: :lol:

And the reason for handheld devices taking over is very simple=>

They have been pushed into folks' brains for decades via their creation on TV shows where the actors used props which simulated full computer functions via those fictional (but very attractive...) handheld devices.

Though I admire the altruism expressed here=>

Linux will win this this time because the future of the desktop computer is dead the only barrier were the games and some software like Adobe and still the greatest threat to both windows and linux is google...
Imagine you connect your desktop computer to connect to the internet and have it all in the cloud that is already happening just is not happening more because in many countries the internet is crap and if so google chrome book will give the start for companies and linux will turn the tables with the games and the rest will be a matter of time
who will lose ??? hardware companies that sell PC top lines
'cause even the games will be played in the cloud on a tv with good internet connection ... the PS4 or XBOX one as well that's my view ...

I must respectfully disagree - mainly because a 'war' is only when both parties enjoin battles against one another - and the Linux community is simply not interested in such a 'war' - and never has been focused thusly in any serious numbers.

Well stated once again !!:

Yep really desktops in general are declining for along time ..Unless they make a Linux you can put on a smart phone there's no hope for that .

Where have you been all these years?? What do you think Android is? It's Linux! ;)

...Also there is Ubuntu Touch.

Android can be a very enjoyable adventure, even for someone who is non-technical; therefore it IS possible for just about anyone to use Linux whether they know it, or not - and now so many millions ARE using it, non-stop, every day.

Years ago I started a friend using Kingsoft Office at his small work place...:

It's not going to happen this or any year until they can answer the question, "Will it run all my stuff?" with a resounding YES. So far, the answer's still "well, some of it..." which is better than the old answer of, "no, but..." but not good enough. It's great that there are cross OS browsers and games, but here's the big kicker: Will it run Microsoft Office? No. Yes, I know there are other office suites out there (and free), but they are not the same, they are equivalent. You can do the same things in each, but you do them differently. Buttons are different, menus are different, terminology may be different. It means learning a new program while keeping the old one in your head because other machines you use still run the old one all the while wondering, "Is this going to print OK in Word or is there going to be some formatting code that's going to fuck it all up?". Here's another: Will it run iTunes? Again, the answer is "no, but...". People don't want that. People want the stuff they already know how to use and until they can, linux isn't going anywhere on the desktop.

It does EVERYTHING that m$0 did (and more besides) but MINUS the amazing bloat in about 1/10th the space that m$0 took up - and best of all - NONE of the registry corruption that m$0 adds by default.

(Has anyone here ever examined the serious bloat that m$0 stuffs in their registry ?? I have.)

Interesting indeed:

Microsoft will loose when in linux we could execute exe files the same way like in windows... never gonna happen

Because when properly set up it CAN do this - I do it on my Lubuntu box in 3 different ways anytime I want to.

Linux is well made for opening just about anything it is able to handle - better than win-doze from what I've seen in using it.

Yes - yes - YES !!:

Da numbas ARE meaningless drivel bantered amongst argumentative folks who seriously DO NOT GET IT !!

And once again - and even IF da numbas meant anything within the Linux community...:

Then use such beloved 'numbers' to include ALL the servers, tablets, phones, watches and other devices now using ALL variations of Linux as their OS and the picture changes from under 2% to something far bigger.

Will this start some sort of 'war' ??

Considering the lawsuits brought against some of the Linux community - the bad PR made for decades by mikr0$0ft again that OS as a whole - the companies which have lost market shares by refusing to have Linux drivers, etc., etc. - and how very small those things have impacted the slow and steady incursions of Linux variants into just about everything by now=>

I seriously doubt any form of 'war' is looming.

Very worthy of note IMO is that after decades of ridicule, mikr0$0ft itself has conceded in some ways to the axiom of 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' by trying to enter other OS's growths with compatible products of their own, mostly quite recently.

Last of all - and especially worthy of mention here====>>>

What has mainly fueled the exponential growths of the worldwide warez communities FOREVER since they 1st started has been the rampant despite for mikr0$0ft; and whether most folks know it or not, this is because mikr0$0ft actually started it all as the original, very first - biggest and WORST 'pirates' of ALL TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I close with just this:

HARR HARR HARR MATEYS - HAVE YE ALL A GOOD DAY !!

Shuck.pdf

​Desktop O/S in fact are doing so bad right now that for the 1st time ever Microsoft will give its new o/s windows 10 away to 2 o/s win 7 and win 8 users . and the 1st time they will give it to all legit users of these O/S . I got windows free before but its because I just bought a win Vista and Win 7 was only to those that bought new pcs . I planed to buy Windows 10 regardless if they give it away or not. Its not good news that there giving it a way . Because it will be like 2 years after Win 10 is launched to see have they made any money off of it. Microsoft is in the money making business not the freeware business. And doubt they ever make anything off Win 10 sounds like a total loss to me. More workers will lose there jobs and they will downsize even more . If people stop buying there products one day they may not be a new O/S to make a big fuss over is the way I see it. :(

smallhagrid

I already 'quit' new m$ OSes after XP once - but now that I've come across good ways to remodel 7 into the classic desktop style, I will give it a try at least for a while.

Never do I jump into ANY new tech - whether it is h/w or s/w.

This is because it all takes time to mature & to shake out the bugs & as a bonus the prices generally also come down in time as any tech saturates.

As for fussing - I think I'll be learning how to use Xen soon if I can.

The idea of running multiple, virtual OSes appeals to me very much.

Whether or not I bother with anything from m$ really doesn't matter to me as all I need or want to do can be done without their stuff.

Hated On Mostly

Keep laughing and bragging about your horse & buggy being at the top of the market... :whistle:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jan/20/microsoft-windows-10-upgrade-google-and-apple

Windows once dominated the computing market, but its share of the world’s operating systems has fallen as users have shifted to mobile devices. This year people will buy three times as many devices running Google’s Android operating system as they will buy PCs, the area Microsoft still dominates.

http://marketrealist.com/2015/02/microsoft-windows-falling-revenue-cause-concern/

windows-apple.png?w=660&fit=max&auto=for

http://marketrealist.com/2015/02/microsoft-embraces-open-source-software-environment/

Microsoft is in the money making business not the freeware business.

Agreed, but look at all the freeware they're making now for iOS and Android. I guess it's just to keep the Microsoft name out there? And keep people using Microsoft services?

Google gives away "free" apps so that they can data-mine users and profit on their data. I fear that Microsoft may ultimately follow the "evil" path too, if not already.

Microsoft is in the money making business not the freeware business.

Agreed, but look at all the freeware they're making now for iOS and Android. I guess it's just to keep the Microsoft name out there? And keep people using Microsoft services?

Google gives away "free" apps so that they can data-mine users and profit on their data. I fear that Microsoft may ultimately follow the "evil" path too, if not already.

​Linux is really free as far I know. Anything M$ or Google makes they make money off it . You pay for it by letting them collect data off you are there are ads or something there's a catch to it . Most stuff you dont pay for that's online is not free only it is free with a price if you know what I'm saying .

• 4 months later...

We love Linux especially stability when it comes programs which are not everyday use but only it would be transforms into what every one uses in the industry as compared to windows

So we cannot compare the two on many like for like basis.

Archived